AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Audio & Video > Power Conditioners

Power Conditioners Voltage regulation to AC Regeneration

Old 03-15-2015, 04:56 PM

Default Dectet out, SurgeX in...

Hello all.

I own a PS Audio PerfectWave P-10 and a P-5 Power Plants. These units are pretty awesome. The P-10 manages my MC205, MC452, and MC501. The P-5 manages an MC202, MX121, MCD500, D100 (x2), and BHA-1.

When I decided I didn't have the $$$$ for a third Power Plant, I opted to stay with PS Audio and go for their more economical solution, The Dectet Power Center. At $499 MSRP, it offered a great bang for your buck. It would be used to manage my digital components, namely: Cable DVR, Internet Router, Oppo 103, Mac Mini, Apple Time Capsule, Sonos Connect, and a Wyred4Sound Remedy. I really like the Dectet's form and feel, as well as its functionality.

Unfortunately, the Dectet did not work for me. The first unit kept "tripping", turning the power off, blinking its blue light, and not re-setting itself (as it is apparently supposed to do). I tried moving cables around within the unit, and I even had my electrician install an additional pair of wall outlets, thinking that maybe I was pulling too much. In the meantime, the unit kept failing.

So I removed the Dectet and packed it up and returned it to PS Audio. I replaced it with an old Belkin power strip/surge protector from the mid-90's I still carry around and had stored in the closet. PS Audio agreed to send me a replacement, no questions asked (kudos to them). In the meantime my Belkin strip performed flawlessly

Unfortunately, the second brand new unit did the same! By now I had read about a software problem with "earlier" Dectets that behave the same way as mine. Instead of pursuing this software glitch, and spending more valuable time on it, I replaced the second unit with a different product I was familiar with.

Enter the SurgeX SA-1810:

This unit has been eye opening. It has never failed, and it is just as solid, well built, and quiet as the Dectet (arguably, as I am starting to feel, it is better in all accounts).

(I already owned two SurgeX products, the SA-82's, which I use to manage each of my JL Audio subs. These SA-82's BTW are great if you have subs that are out of reach from your main Power Management units. You can hide them behind your subs and easily conceal their presence if so desired.)

Compared to the Dectet:

The SurgeX unit is cheaper (MSRP is $429)
The SurgeX is narrower, taller, and shorter, and overall more compact.
The SurgeX design is not as streamlined as the Dectet, being a little more boxy and spartan in looks and feel.
The Surgex has a non-detachable PC, which does not allow you to upgrade your PC

I will leave the specific quality of the circuitry, the materials, components, and layout used in each product for the evaluation of those of you who have the knowledge, and interest. I only care about the sound/image.

I was afraid the SurgeX, because it seems to be a less-often discussed brand among the hobby's blogs and clubs, would not be at the same level of performance as PS Audio. I was afraid I would detect (no pun intended) perhaps some noise in the sound or video background since all my sources all hooked up to it. Instead, I sense no difference whatsoever

I would have liked to be able to add my WW Silver Electra PC to it, but now that I have an extra cable, I am on my way to replacing my subs' 4 PS Audio AC-5 PC's with WW.

So if you're looking at more affordable ways of power conditioning/surge protecting, and you simply don't care much about looks, these boxes (they come in different sizes) are excellent.

Cheers!!
Old 03-15-2015, 07:16 PM
AA Founder, Legend AV Owner

Hector... Very glad to know you are pleased with your new SurgeX unit.
MX136, MC1.2KW(10) MC2KW(2), MCD1100, MS750(2) MVP881, C1000C/P/T, MPC1500, HT-2 SUBS(2) HT3F(2) WS350(2) XRT2K, XCS2K, XR27(2) XCS350(2) JL GOTHAM v2 SUBS(2) SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, LUMAGEN RADIANCE SCALER, SONY VPH-G90U 4K PROJECTOR, STEWART 120" MOTORIZED SCREEN, CINEMA-TECH SEATING, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Reference System: ACCUPHASE A300 AMPS, C3900 PRE-AMP, DP1000 CD/SACD TRANSPORT, DC1000 DIGITAL PROCESSOR, DG-68 DIGITAL EQUALIZER, T1200 FM STEREO TUNER, PS1230 POWER SUPPLY, HRS-SXR CUSTOM RACK w/ M3X SHELVES, TAD REFERENCE ONE MK2 LOUDSPEAKERS, WW PLATINUM CABLES
CAPE COD

MX150, MC501(2) MC1.2KW(10) MC2301(2) MR88, MVP881, MCD1100, MDA1000, C1000C/P/T, MPC1500, ESOTERIC K-01X 30th ANNIVERSARY (BLACK) SACD/CD PLAYER, G02-X CLOCK, HT3F(2) XRT2K, XCS2K, XR27(2) JL GOTHAM v2 SUBS(2) JL FATHOM F113v2 SUBS(4) SOUND ANCHOR STANDS(2) KALEIDESCAPE STRATO & TERRA SERVERS 80-TB, LUMAGEN RADIANCE SCALER, SONY VPH-G90U 4K PROJECTOR, STEWART 120" SCREEN, SONUS FABER STRADIVARI, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, FORTRESS SEATING, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Analog Rig: CLEARAUDIO INNOVATION WOOD, UNIVERSAL ARM w/ Da VINCI' CART, 2nd UNIVERSAL ARM w/ GOLDFINGER STATEMENT CART, HRS-MXR REFERENCE RACK-GLOSS BLACK w/ M3X SHELVES, AESTHETIX RHEA SIG PHONO-PRE, BRYSTON BHA-1 HEADPHONE AMP, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Reference System: BURMESTER 911MK3 AMP(3), 088 PRE-AMP, 089 CD PLAYER, 100 PHONO PRE-AMP, 948 POWER CONDITIONER, ACCUPHASE DG-68 VOICING EQUALIZER, AVID ACUTUS REFERENCE SP TT, GRAHAM PHANTOM II SUPREME ARM, BENZ MICRO LP-S CART, GRANDIOSO P1X/D1X STACK, G1X RUBIDIUM MASTER CLOCK, N05 NETWORK PLAYER, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, HRS-SXR CUSTOM RACK w/ M3X SHELVES, SONUS FABER AIDA SPEAKERS, JL FATHOM F113v2 SUBS(2) SOUND ANCHOR STANDS(2) WW PLATINUM CABLES

Library System: GRANDIOSO M1 MONOBLOCK AMPS, C1 LINESTAGE PRE-AMP, K1X CD/SACD PLAYER, G1 MASTER RUBIDIUM CLOCK, E02 PHONO-PRE, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, AERIAL ACOUSTICS 20T V2, AERIAL SW12 SUBS(2), CANTON REF K1’s, VPI HRX TT w/ SDS POWER SUPPLY, ORTOFON CADENZA BLACK CART, KLAUDIO RCM, SHUNYATA DENALI 6000/S v2, SHUNYATA OMEGA QR’s, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Esoteric/Bryston System: ESOTERIC C02-X PRE-AMP, P-02X TRANSPORT, D02-X DAC, G02-X CLOCK, BRYSTON 28B3 CUBED MONOBLOCK AMPS(4), BRYSTON BHA-1 HEADPHONE AMP, SHUNYATA DENALI 6000/S v2(2) EVEREST 8000 POWER CONDITIONER(2) ALTAIRA CG & SG HUBS, AMR-DP777-SE DAC, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, TAD REFERENCE ONE MK2 LOUDSPEAKERS, QUADRASPIRE RACK, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Accuphase/Canton System: ACCUPHASE E800 INTEGRATED, DP570 CD/SACD PLAYER, T1200 FM STEREO TUNER, DG-68 VOICING EQUALIZER, PS530 POWER SUPPLY, CANTON REF K3’s, CANTON REF K5’s, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, HRS MXR REFERENCE MAHOGHANY RACK w/ M3X2 SHELVES, WW GOLD CABLES
Old 03-15-2015, 08:02 PM

And I forgot to mention that IVAN is the man to hook you up with SurgeX

Thanks, Masterlu.
Old 03-15-2015, 08:06 PM
Greetings from NC

My Dectet works perfectly with my two MC275's in my office. When I get all the vintage gear from Terry once he refurbishes everything I will use the Dectet with that system. Hope all goes well.
Two Channel: McIntosh C2300 preamp, MC601 amps x2, MR88 tuner, MEN220; Esoteric K-03X; Aurender N100C 4TB; B&W 802D2 Diamonds, JL Audio F113V2 x 2 on Sound Anchor Sub Stands; VPI Classic Signature Piano Black, Ortofon Cadenza Black, VPI SDS, periphery ring, StillPoints center weight, Gingko Audio ClaraVu Dust Cover CT, KAB SpeedStrobe, Dr. Feickert Analogue Protractor; Sonos with W4S digital modification to W4S Remedy to Esoteric; W4S PS1 Linear Power unit for the 2x Remedy and Recovery w/ W4S PS1 Power Cord; Torus RM20; Wireworld Silver Series 7 Electra/Starlight/Eclipse cables and WW Platinum Power Cord for Amps and Platinum USB for Aurender; KLAUDIO RCM; Steve Blinn Designs extra wide three shelf rack; GIK Acoustics panels and bass traps, StillPoints Ultra Minis under all gear and Stillpoint Ultra SS under amps and speakers.
Home Theater 7.2: McIntosh MX150, MC452, MC207; B&W 803D2 Diamonds, HTM2 center, CWM7.3 surrounds; JLAudio F112 x2 subs; Panasonic TC-P65ZT60 65" Studio Master Plasma; Oppo 205; Crown FM Two Tuner; Sonos with W4S Remedy; Apple TV; Furman Elite 20 amp PFi x2; WW and AQ Cables/Cords; Salamander Synergy Four Bay Cabinet
Office 2ch with McIntosh vintage refurbished gear: McIntosh MC275V6 x2 tube amps; Klipsch Cornwall I vintage speakers (1982); AQ Dragonfly Red DAC/Jitterbug/cables; PS Audio Dectet Power Center; Mcintosh C28, MC2105, MR78 (with mod), MQ101, each with original walnut cabinet and panloc (1976), MCD7008 (1996), ML1C speakers (1976); Bang & Olufsen Beogram 4002 turntable (1976) with new SoundSmith SMMC20CL cartridge (2015); Salamander double rack
Old 03-15-2015, 10:46 PM

Default Dectet

Quote:
Originally Posted by tutomac View Post
Hello all.

Unfortunately, the Dectet did not work for me. The first unit kept "tripping", turning the power off, blinking its blue light, and not re-setting itself (as it is apparently supposed to do). I tried moving cables around within the unit, and I even had my electrician install an additional pair of wall outlets, thinking that maybe I was pulling too much. In the meantime, the unit kept failing.
Unfortunately, the second brand new unit did the same! By now I had read about a software problem with "earlier" Dectets that behave the same way as mine. Instead of pursuing this software glitch, and spending more valuable time on it, I replaced the second unit with a different product I was familiar with.
!
I felt bad about AudioVision getting burgled I ran over and bought a dectet from them . Its been turning off sporadically now for 2 weeks and not resetting. The Quintet it replaced never had an issue. I guess I'm on the phone to PS Audio tomorrow.
Old 03-16-2015, 11:23 AM

I hope you get a good one... We all know sometimes product lines contain a bad batch... It never occurred to me to check serial numbers. You may want to check that before you open the second unit?
If this had been a multiK $ unit, I would have pursuit resolution to the very end, but I just didn't have the time or energy for $500... Not saying $500 is nothing, but sometimes one's time and sanity are worth way more that that😁

Cheers!
Old 03-17-2015, 01:24 AM

Default Dectet

I called PS Audio today about the Dectet. They told me that sometimes there is something with the incoming power that triggers the Dectet. Since I bought it from a dealer they said return it. That getting a new unit will not solve the problem. I hate returning stuff. Im going to hook the Dectet in to a Soloist or High Current outlet to see if that helps. At that point point I will decide on returning the unit or unplugging and resetting the unit when it trips.
Old 03-18-2015, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aclearspot View Post
I called PS Audio today about the Dectet. They told me that sometimes there is something with the incoming power that triggers the Dectet. Since I bought it from a dealer they said return it. That getting a new unit will not solve the problem. I hate returning stuff. Im going to hook the Dectet in to a Soloist or High Current outlet to see if that helps. At that point point I will decide on returning the unit or unplugging and resetting the unit when it trips.
Kinda funny explanation (not yours, but theirs). I have their other products P-10 and P-5 PowerPlants and none has shown any evidence of failure, and those two units are arguably better performers (they sure cost up to 10x as much!). They are all connected to outlets on the same wall, and the P-5 and P-10 have not shut off power, ever...

I hope you resolve your situation with your Dectet.

No issues with my new Surgex unit. Its yellow outlets are growing on me, kinda like them now

Cheers!
Old 03-18-2015, 11:48 AM
Merry Christmas to all

Hector.......The PS Audio P-5 and P-10 power conditioning AC regenerators are not designed to shut the power off like the Dectet. The Dectet is designed to turn off the power to the outlets in the event of an under or over-voltage condition. My Dectet has occasionally tripped and left the blue power button flashing. It does not auto reset. I have to push and hold the power button until I hear the relay click then press it again. The few instances when my Dectet has triggered the outlets to turn off have been when I have had momentary power interruptions, most recently during a thunderstorm. The momentary power loss and surge when it came back on caused the Dectet to shut off. It was doing its job. When I went down to the studio later that evening to listen to the system I noticed my C1000P red light was off. I looked behind the rack and saw the Dectet power switch flashing. Once reset all was well.

I think that some owners don't realize how much voltage fluctuation exists in the power company electrical service or even within their home's electrical circuits. A momentary voltage drop on a circuit from the air conditioner coming on or the electric heat, water heater, refrigerator compressor or an oven coming on can often cause a short voltage drop in your home's electrical system. If this voltage sag is within the tripping perimeters programmed into the Dectet set points it will shut off as it is designed to do. Not fully understanding or being aware of your home's electrical power performance can have you blaming the Dectet for malfunctioning when in fact it is performing as designed to protect your sound system from voltage drops or surges. If you reset the power on the Dectet and it stays energized it was most likely just doing its job. Comparing the auto off feature of the Dectet to another device that doesn't monitor and react to over or under voltage situations is not a legitimate comparison. Just something to consider.

STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, Shunyata Sigma spdif digital cable, Sonos Connect, PurePower 2000, Stillpoints, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Michell HR Power Supply, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Wireworld, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario
LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC75 (2), MR85, Magnum Dynalab 205, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Shunyata Sigma USB cable, Micro Seiki DD40, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, Nakamichi BX-300, Sony 60ES DAT, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, Sonos Connect, Stillpoints, Wireworld, Kimber, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113
VINTAGE - McIntosh MA230, Tandberg 3011A tuner, Olive 04HD, Sony DTC-59ES DAT, McIntosh 4300V, JBL 4312A
Old 03-18-2015, 05:14 PM

Dan, thank you so much for your explanation. It's so cool to have someone knowledgeable on these matter clarify things.

I guess bottom line for me is that even when the Dectet is not at fault by actually being good at what it's supposed to do, perhaps I'm better off with a less sensitive device that hopefully will protect just as well. You see, it was tripping too often for our enjoyment. Every time it did I had to restart things here and there, specially Internet access for the house... My wife and kids were mad at me!

So kudos to PS Audio and the Dectet. Like I said I really liked the unit... Solid, and attractive as well. Just did not fit our lifestyle at our home (and I guess our Power Co.'s performance). I never wanted to write negatively about PS Audio's product, but rather express my experience, which can be shared with others and help them better sort out their situation, should they be in the same position...

Cheers!