AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Cary Audio Design

Cary Audio Design Superior Quality and Value

Old 06-27-2017, 06:41 PM
Posting Fool

I'm very interested in the notch filter and hi pass filter diagrams. Sounds like fun to work with. As you may recall, I supplemented the low end with powered woofers (up to 250Hz) and up/rear firing tweeters with simple capacitor hi pass at about 14kHz. Seems consistent with both of your impression of what they need.

Can't PM here though. Catch me on the Omega circle? Or post them here?

Thanks....

Last edited by pstrisik; 06-27-2017 at 06:44 PM.
Old 06-27-2017, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by straitwire View Post
That tall power trans is the original '59 C.G. Conn, it has a 12v filament and is used to power the amp and supply filament voltage as well as B+ thru an 8 pin socket type plug that has a 0A3 mounted in it now
Thanks for the feedback!
Old 06-28-2017, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pstrisik View Post
I'm very interested in the notch filter and hi pass filter diagrams. Sounds like fun to work with. As you may recall, I supplemented the low end with powered woofers (up to 250Hz) and up/rear firing tweeters with simple capacitor hi pass at about 14kHz. Seems consistent with both of your impression of what they need.

Thanks....
Another alternative to the speaker-level notch filter is the Bottlehead "The Fix". This is a line-level tone control box (for $75!) that can selectively boost both the bass and treble. I would much rather use passive electronics at the line level than at the speaker level.
Old 06-28-2017, 01:01 PM
Posting Fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosco65 View Post
Another alternative to the speaker-level notch filter is the Bottlehead "The Fix". This is a line-level tone control box (for $75!) that can selectively boost both the bass and treble. I would much rather use passive electronics at the line level than at the speaker level.
Does look a good option. Not as much fun though!

I'm sure Louis would not endorse the notch filter as equivalent to a passive crossover, Dennis obviously has no issue with it, worth experimenting IMO.
Old 06-28-2017, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Does look a good option. Not as much fun though!

I'm sure Louis would not endorse the notch filter as equivalent to a passive crossover, Dennis obviously has no issue with it, worth experimenting IMO.
I know from my conversations with Louis that he has no issue with inductors, but has an aversion to speaker-level capacitors.

Personally, I have tried notch filters before on a pair of Triangle full range drivers. It killed the sound for me. I would rather explore other means if I am using wide band drivers, including adding additional helper drivers at the top and bottom end, using active bass reinforcement, or choosing better-behaved drivers.

Louis' drivers have their compromises, most apparently in the midbass. The 7" driver that Dennis played with likely had a falling response below 300hz. Its top end is also less extended than the RS5 driver.

I would argue that if we are swapping tubes and capacitors, contouring the response at line level by adding a resistor or two is not that different.
Old 06-28-2017, 01:49 PM
Posting Fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosco65 View Post
I know from my conversations with Louis that he has no issue with inductors, but has an aversion to speaker-level capacitors.

Personally, I have tried notch filters before on a pair of Triangle full range drivers. It killed the sound for me. I would rather explore other means if I am using wide band drivers, including adding additional helper drivers at the top and bottom end, using active bass reinforcement, or choosing better-behaved drivers.

Louis' drivers have their compromises, most apparently in the midbass. The 7" driver that Dennis played with likely had a falling response below 300hz. Its top end is also less extended than the RS5 driver.

I would argue that if we are swapping tubes and capacitors, contouring the response at line level by adding a resistor or two is not that different.
I agree with your last sentence. But we are talking about very little $ and maybe use of caps I already have to play with a minor DIY project. This is a hobby afterall!
Old 06-28-2017, 09:49 PM

Quote:

Thanks....

In that Dennis keeps up with this thread I got an email from him today correcting me. The circuit he rigged up for my Omegas is a Contour Network, not a notch filter as I wrote. I will have to research the difference when back from vacation. I will also get you the circuits as well.
Old 06-29-2017, 06:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BearCityUSA View Post
In that Dennis keeps up with this thread I got an email from him today correcting me. The circuit he rigged up for my Omegas is a Contour Network, not a notch filter as I wrote. I will have to research the difference when back from vacation. I will also get you the circuits as well.
Thanks for sharing and I find your concept/thoughts on this very interesting as I am an Omega owner myself.

When the RS7 driver based speakers first came out there were 3 different flavors of drivers.

(1) the "Vintage" ones which did not have a whizzer cone,
(2) the "Standard" ones that did have a whizzer cone,
(3) the "AlNiCo" ones which also had a whizzer cone.

I was just wondering ... are your RS7 drivers the "Vintage" type (without a whizzer) or the "Standard"/"AlNiCo" type (with a whizzer cone)?

The "Vintage" ones that do not have a whizzer cone roll off a lot earlier (somewhere @ 17kHz) than the "Standard"/"AlNiCo" ones that roll off a bit higher (somewhere @ 20kHz).

I've owned and heard both the "Vintage" and "Standard" versions of the RS7 drivers and much prefer the "Standard" type drivers.
McIntosh C220 Preamp | Decware Taboo MKII Single Ended Pentode Amp | Omega RS7 Speakers | McIntosh D100 DAC | Rega RP6 TT | Rega DAC | Musical Fidelity V-Link 192 SPDIF/USB Converter | Asus VivoPC w/JRiver MC 19 | Interconnect Cables = Decware Silver Reference and ZenWave Audio Duelund | Digital Cables = Wireworld Ultraviolet USB/SPDIF | Speaker Cables = ZenWave Audio 17g UPOCC in a braided geoemtry

Last edited by beowulf; 06-29-2017 at 06:38 AM. Reason: .