AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > PMC Speakers

PMC Speakers UK's Finest

Old 05-07-2011, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A/V Solutions View Post
Jérôme.....Sounds like a good plan, also try ditching the jumpers and tri-wire them even try the tri-wire on your EB1i! I have spent the last few years swapping back and fourth between the stock one's, Silver and PCOCC copper jumpers on various PMC models......all three brings something different to the table but after careful listening they all seemed to skew the tonal balance in one way or another so I did the tri-wire thing with PCOCC copper, I ended up with 8 gauge on the bottom, 10 gauge for the mids and 12 gauge to the highs.....I found nice improvments across the board.
Hi Jeff,
Thanks for the advice !
Old 05-07-2011, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdandy View Post
Jeff.......The PMC IB2i's sure look beautiful in walnut, and the Sound Anchor stands are far more complimentary to the speakers than the PMC stands. Together, the stands and the IB2i speakers make a gorgeous package. Most impressive.
Dan, I think so too, the PMC stands to me looked like toothpicks holding up those speakers and for me there also to low.....the 16" Sound Anchors are just perfect for my ear height. After playing around with the IB2i the ear and midrange relation is key for best sound. With the solid build of the Sound Anchors I find the bottom octives to play even cleaner with the ambient details fleshed out a tad more, I like it
Old 05-08-2011, 10:57 PM

Default are you sure

Quote:
Jérôme.....thanks, I didn't listen to the MB2i and with my room being 14'x19' I felt the IB2i would integrate better with my size room. I'm sure the MB2i would have sounded good but most likely not been able to let them play to their full potential due to my room size. .
the sensitivity of the MB2 is only 2db greater than the IB2 both would "integrate into your room" unless the speakers physical size is an issue. Both speakers have the same tweeter and mid, different woofer and box to extend the LF. either box would work well in your space

Last edited by rofo; 05-08-2011 at 10:59 PM.
Old 05-09-2011, 01:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rofo View Post
the sensitivity of the MB2 is only 2db greater than the IB2 both would "integrate into your room" unless the speakers physical size is an issue. Both speakers have the same tweeter and mid, different woofer and box to extend the LF. either box would work well in your space
rofo......the issue would be in the LF range, the MB2i go down to 20Hz which is a bit much for my room.....I had the EB1i which play down to 19Hz and they were a bit bottom heavy and overloaded the room, that's with 17 traps also in play, a larger room would have been better. The IB2i go to 25hz and since I'm strickly two channel its just perfect for me. Since being a dealer for PMC I had just about every model from the IB2i on down so I have gotten to know the line very well.

As much as I would have liked going with the MB2i I can assure you they would have overloaded the room at higher SPLs due to my room size and the IB2i can pretty much play to thier full potential with out overloading my room.
Old 05-09-2011, 02:15 AM

Quote:
rofo......the issue would be in the LF range, the MB2i go down to 20Hz which is a bit much for my room.....I had the EB1i which play down to 19Hz and they were a bit bottom heavy and overloaded the room, that's with 17 traps also in play, a larger room would have been better. The IB2i go to 25hz and since I'm strickly two channel its just perfect for me. Since being a dealer for PMC I had just about every model from the IB2i on down so I have gotten to know the line very well.

As much as I would have liked going with the MB2i I can assure you they would have overloaded the room at higher SPLs due to my room size and the IB2i can pretty much play to thier full potential with out overloading my room.
Jeff, I think that I have the same problem than you had with the EB1i.
My room is large but highly reverberant and sometimes the bass gets overpowered : I have to select low bass on the RP filter to get a reasonable sound but doing that, I loose transparency....
Old 05-09-2011, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by C220MC275 View Post
Jeff, I think that I have the same problem than you had with the EB1i.
My room is large but highly reverberant and sometimes the bass gets overpowered : I have to select low bass on the RP filter to get a reasonable sound but doing that, I loose transparency....
Jérôme.......If you haven't done so you may want to try some room treatments, I've yet to find a room that didn't bennifit from them.....You mentioned your room being large and reverberant so I assume its much larger than my 14'x19' room and your issues may not be the same as mine, yes the bass can have an over powering effect in many sized rooms and be caused by many other things besides a speaker playing down into the teens and there are lot's of reasons this is so......speaker location, listening location, choice of amps, room size, type of materials the room is constructed from and so on.....If you get the room half way right all the other things that contribute to the sound not to our liking will be much easier to identify and correct.

In my case I spent six months just tuning my room to my liking, I swapped in and out different types of diffusers, absorbers and bass traps, I also consulted with a room acoustic expert to help lead the way, best money I spent!!......When I knew the room was the best I could make it with out tearing the walls down that's when I realized the importance of choosing the right speaker for my room, that brings me back as to why I went with the IB2i over the MB2i.....are the MB2i better than the IB2i most likely so but not in my room. Two things stood out the most in all the tuning I did and the room acoustics had the biggest impact followed with an amp change. One thing for sure is Audio is one big YMMV thing
Old 05-09-2011, 02:13 PM

Like Jeff, I have new IB2i on 16-inch Sound Anchors (but in Cherry rather than Walnut). My room is large and irregularly shaped, and can absorb a lot of bass, so I considered the MB2i. I'm extremely happy that I went with the IB2i. Even at low volumes they pressurize the room with low, tight, tuneful, tactile bass in ways I didn't think possible, providing a remarkably solid and well-integrated foundation for the music. And not having to contend with 19 Hz extension means easier placement, allowing me to optimize for imaging and soundstage more easily.

The IB2i are astoundingly good speakers, especially on these stands. Extremely transparent with excellent micro- and macro-dynamics, tonal purity, layering, everything. They completely disappear in my room, throwing a palpable, articulate soundstage well behind the speakers. Imaging is also exceptional. I have a basically analytical disposition. These speaker appease it by rendering music with utter truthfulness and balance, but they never sound clinical or cold or "analytical" at all. Rather, they're uncolored and organic and never etched or strident. You can crank them to very high SPLs without the least bit of breakup, yet I find myself listening at much lower volumes than before because everything is right there, including a full, rich low end. Great speakers. I'm hooked on PMC!
Old 05-09-2011, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rofo View Post
I am considering the IB series loudspeakers. The IB1S is about 3k less expensive than the IB2S. I have heard the IB1 in the past and thought they were outstanding. Is the IB2 that much better to justify the extra $ ? One other thing why is the IB1 still in production?

thanks for your comments
The IB2i is better, much better on every level except for bass performance, given the cabinet size. The IB1 was created to touch on the capabilities of the IB2i for less... It is very popular with professionals, but the IB2 is the reigning champ. Have a listen and you will see, I mean hear.
Old 05-09-2011, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by willimusk View Post
Like Jeff, I have new IB2i on 16-inch Sound Anchors (but in Cherry rather than Walnut). My room is large and irregularly shaped, and can absorb a lot of bass, so I considered the MB2i. I'm extremely happy that I went with the IB2i. Even at low volumes they pressurize the room with low, tight, tuneful, tactile bass in ways I didn't think possible, providing a remarkably solid and well-integrated foundation for the music. And not having to contend with 19 Hz extension means easier placement, allowing me to optimize for imaging and soundstage more easily.

The IB2i are astoundingly good speakers, especially on these stands. Extremely transparent with excellent micro- and macro-dynamics, tonal purity, layering, everything. They completely disappear in my room, throwing a palpable, articulate soundstage well behind the speakers. Imaging is also exceptional. I have a basically analytical disposition. These speaker appease it by rendering music with utter truthfulness and balance, but they never sound clinical or cold or "analytical" at all. Rather, they're uncolored and organic and never etched or strident. You can crank them to very high SPLs without the least bit of breakup, yet I find myself listening at much lower volumes than before because everything is right there, including a full, rich low end. Great speakers. I'm hooked on PMC!

So good to hear!
Old 05-11-2011, 01:56 AM

Quote:
Jérôme.......If you haven't done so you may want to try some room treatments, I've yet to find a room that didn't bennifit from them.....You mentioned your room being large and reverberant so I assume its much larger than my 14'x19' room and your issues may not be the same as mine, yes the bass can have an over powering effect in many sized rooms and be caused by many other things besides a speaker playing down into the teens and there are lot's of reasons this is so......speaker location, listening location, choice of amps, room size, type of materials the room is constructed from and so on.....If you get the room half way right all the other things that contribute to the sound not to our liking will be much easier to identify and correct.

In my case I spent six months just tuning my room to my liking, I swapped in and out different types of diffusers, absorbers and bass traps, I also consulted with a room acoustic expert to help lead the way, best money I spent!!......When I knew the room was the best I could make it with out tearing the walls down that's when I realized the importance of choosing the right speaker for my room, that brings me back as to why I went with the IB2i over the MB2i.....are the MB2i better than the IB2i most likely so but not in my room. Two things stood out the most in all the tuning I did and the room acoustics had the biggest impact followed with an amp change. One thing for sure is Audio is one big YMMV thing
I understand Jeff.
Of course I thought seriously about treating my room. Dan even made me the plans for it. But the WAF was not good. So I bought the RP1.
It does a great job. Of course, it would be even better with room treatment.
Currently I just have 4 GIK panels.
I am making small steps, adding "natural room treatments" like plants and I will put also a big curtain over the plasma TV when not in use. The screen is a large reverb surface.
Overall I am very happy with the EB1i but I can't stay deaf about what is said here concerning the IB2i.
If the IB2i are better than the EB1i in my room, I will have to sell the EB1i before upgrading, and that will be the tough part : the HiFi market is dead in France at this time...