AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > McIntosh Audio

McIntosh Audio A Tradition of Excellence

Old 05-16-2020, 02:22 PM

Very kind of you to provide all that info. Lots of work and I guess some damage risk, so will have to weigh all that and also try to see if I can find a competent machinist. Whatever the outcome, I thank you very kindly.
Old 05-20-2020, 01:03 AM

Sorry it took so long to provide the photos of the machines end caps, but here they are. When they're installed, you can't see any of the machining that took place.IMG_4456.jpgIMG_4457.jpgIMG_4458.jpgImage1589951005.528500.jpg

Last edited by Stahle; 05-20-2020 at 01:06 AM.
Old 05-20-2020, 01:10 AM

Hers an older photo showing my MR7084 with trimmed support rails and machined end caps. See how it matches the width exactly of a C15.IMG_2869.jpg
Old 05-20-2020, 10:12 AM

That looks pretty "factory" to me. Nice job. Finding a machinist will probably be my problem.
Old 05-26-2020, 04:58 PM

.......too bad nobody (like Ivan) offers a "plug and play" (or screw and play) solution. Must be a few of us in this situation.
Old 05-26-2020, 08:07 PM

I have an MX121, MVP861 and C2500 - they all look the same to me, so don't make me look closer!!!!!! I did order today the newer style end caps for my 7106 from McIntosh as I have McOCD and wanted all the gear to match.

Lake house: Beomaster 5500, Beogram 5500 CD, Beocord 5500 and U-Turn Orbit Plus TT. Wharfedale 225 speakers
Old 05-27-2020, 05:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McGuyDLF View Post
I have an MX121, MVP861 and C2500 - they all look the same to me, so don't make me look closer!!!!!! I did order today the newer style end caps for my 7106 from McIntosh as I have McOCD and wanted all the gear to match.

With the newer style end caps on your 7106, you’ll get it to match your other pieces, it will just be wider. It really won’t matter if it’s on another shelf, it’s when you stack the units like I did that it matters. If I hadn’t done the trimming I described previously to the end caps I placed on the MR7084, it would have looked funny at a half inch wider than the C15.
Old 05-27-2020, 06:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgbroimp View Post
.......too bad nobody (like Ivan) offers a "plug and play" (or screw and play) solution. Must be a few of us in this situation.

I found that the glass support rails which must be trimmed are more unit specific than the end caps. Sure the end caps come in varying heights, but models I had with the same heights had glass support rails with different hole patterns. These holes are for the screws which attach the rails to the internal frame which isn’t visible until you remove the cover. With so many options, you would need to make each kit unit specific.

All this work just to reduce the width is why I have yet to see anyone else do what I did. Everyone that upgrades to the newer end caps just lives with the wider unit and typically places it on a different shelf so that it’s unnoticeable. I’m just too OCD to have them not match exactly.
Old 05-27-2020, 09:04 AM

agreed and yes, the 7106 is on a different shelf away from the other units, stacked would look off to me as well.

Lake house: Beomaster 5500, Beogram 5500 CD, Beocord 5500 and U-Turn Orbit Plus TT. Wharfedale 225 speakers
Old 05-27-2020, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stahle View Post
I found that the glass support rails which must be trimmed are more unit specific than the end caps. Sure the end caps come in varying heights, but models I had with the same heights had glass support rails with different hole patterns. These holes are for the screws which attach the rails to the internal frame which isn’t visible until you remove the cover. With so many options, you would need to make each kit unit specific.

All this work just to reduce the width is why I have yet to see anyone else do what I did. Everyone that upgrades to the newer end caps just lives with the wider unit and typically places it on a different shelf so that it’s unnoticeable. I’m just too OCD to have them not match exactly.
I wanted to go to a different shelf, rest assured, but unfortunately I did not have the flexibility to do that so had to stack them. I see your point about not being able to build a one size fits all kit. So having someone take an order and creating a custom setup would probably be cost extravagant.