Quote:
Originally Posted by Masterlu View Post
Greggy's back!

and so is his banned Avatar! lol
Yeah baby!
Old 04-06-2009, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taylode View Post
I knew this was coming! Now if only these mechanical works of art were somewhere south of $50K. :3d-funny-eyes:
That's the great part about Hanss, TW-Acustic, Acoustic Signature, you get most of the performance of the expensive tables out there and at 1/5 the price as you know that law of diminishing returns runs very steep with audio.

Those top 2 Hanss tables are both under $7k!
Old 04-06-2009, 10:11 PM
Listener in Training

Er, sorry about the last post - now back to Serge - what's on your short (or long) list for a TT? This one's a vicarious thrill for me, but your take on things I'm sure will help me listen better when I'm spinning vinyl.
Old 04-06-2009, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHC1 View Post
That's the great part about Hanss, TW-Acustic, Acoustic Signature, you get most of the performance of the expensive tables out there and at 1/5 the price as you know that law of diminishing returns runs very steep with audio.

Those top 2 Hanss tables are both under $7k!
Wow!! I would have never guessed that. Have you had a chance to listen to them?

C500, MX123, MC501 (2), MC207, MCD500,
Silenzio, Bryston BDA3, Shunyata Denali 6000/S,
Panasonic UB900, Canton Reference 3K,
Canton Reference 50K, Fresco, Descent
Old 04-06-2009, 10:23 PM

Well, I would love to spend the day with one of those $100K + TT's. I'll have to make to CES someday- no shop here carries anything in 6 figure range for vinyl.
Old 04-06-2009, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 80B View Post
Yeah baby!
Thanks!
Old 04-06-2009, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taylode View Post
Wow!! I would have never guessed that. Have you had a chance to listen to them?
Not yet. I will try to look into them a bit more and see if I can listen somewhere. I have been told they sound great by those who have heard them.

With analog, from what I've been told by a very knowledgeable and experienced source, it is the cartridge and the phono preamp that makes a huge difference. The table and tonearm is what "supports" the cartridge and the phono stage is what will determine how colored or uncolored the signal will be overall. If you have adequate mass, stable and precise drive due to high platter mass or high torque, precise motor, adequate plinth/bearing/platter design that does not allow for much external or internal vibrations to spoil the fragile tracking of the stylus and signal being generated from the grooves modulating it, you are 95% there... The rest is up to your cartridge and the tonearm's job is to allow that cartridge to extract all the information from the grooves without interfering with it.

One can go all out with this stuff and there is nothing wrong with that but of course the law of diminishing returns will set in steep after you cross the threshold of the fine tables such as the ones we talked about so far.
Old 04-06-2009, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHC1 View Post
Not yet. I will try to look into them a bit more and see if I can listen somewhere. I have been told they sound great by those who have heard them.

With analog, from what I've been told by a very knowledgeable and experienced source, it is the cartridge and the phono preamp that makes a huge difference. The table and tonearm is what "supports" the cartridge and the phono stage is what will determine how colored or uncolored the signal will be overall. If you have adequate mass, stable and precise drive due to high platter mass or high torque, precise motor, adequate plinth/bearing/platter design that does not allow for much external or internal vibrations to spoil the fragile tracking of the stylus and signal being generated from the grooves modulating it, you are 95% there... The rest is up to your cartridge and the tonearm's job is to allow that cartridge to extract all the information from the grooves without interfering with it.

One can go all out with this stuff and there is nothing wrong with that but of course the law of diminishing returns will set in steep after you cross the threshold of the fine tables such as the ones we talked about so far.
How many LP's do you have now Serge? I've decided to keep my LP limit at 100-all vintage too.
Old 04-06-2009, 11:01 PM

Thanks Serge! When it comes to vinyl I tend to vacillate and, my MCD500 didn't help. I have about a 150 LPs that sometimes demand equal billing. I bought my Basis as an experiment to see if there was still any interest. I'm still not sure if I want to commit to it. The spud in me sure likes the MS750.

C500, MX123, MC501 (2), MC207, MCD500,
Silenzio, Bryston BDA3, Shunyata Denali 6000/S,
Panasonic UB900, Canton Reference 3K,
Canton Reference 50K, Fresco, Descent
Old 04-06-2009, 11:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregswaim View Post
How many LP's do you have now Serge? I've decided to keep my LP limit at 100-all vintage too.
I think about a dozen so far, all new vinyl except a few. I subscribed to the Blue Note limited edition series as well as the ORG series from elusivedisc. Once I have the TT in my system, I will start buying more seriously and building my collection. I also have a friend who may want to part with his 1200 album collection at the right price since he is not into audio lately due to some marital problems.

I've heard what some really good TT's can sound like and to my ears, that's really the way to listen to music when in the critical listening mode. I have a feeling the CDs will become more of a background listening material for me. We'll see how it turns out.