AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Turntables & Vinyl > Turntables & Tonearms

Turntables & Tonearms Where Analog still Rules

Old 10-24-2009, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregswaim View Post
The EAR 324 is the phono stage of a lifetime, IMO. I've yet to find a phono stage that can best it in terms of sonic qualities or flexibility.
I like it a lot but I won't go as far as saying it can't be bested because it can. I think it is highly competitive in it's price range and even above to a point and it suits my needs for right now for sure.
Old 10-24-2009, 02:46 PM
Just Pure Lucky

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHC1 View Post
The XX-2 will most likely reside on a Graham Phantom II tonearm/TW Acustic Raven One table. In the meantime, I've ran the calculations for the Clearaudio Satisfy and it works out to be 11.7Hz resonant frequency. A tiny bit higher than the Maestro Wood. It may not be an exactly perfect match as the Satisfy arm is considered "low mass" at 9 gm and the XX-2 is a "low compliance" cartridge at 10x10^6 but it will be interesting to hear what happens.

I am loading the MM Maestro at 47k and 220pf but the XX-2 is an MC and I will have to experiment. The good thing is that the EAR 324P is very flexible.

I've got to say the Maestro Wood is an excellent cartridge that is both resolving enough and highly musical but I won't rest until I try an MC next.
Oh, the Raven/Graham changes things; didn't realize the Dynavector would eventually be mounted in that excellent combo.

I'm "sold" on the upper end of the Clearaudio MC cartridges -- especially on their gear.
Analogue Preamp:VAC Renaissance SE Phono stage in Silver Flake with XLR Output Option & with Nordost Valhalla XLR's.
Analogue Sources:SME 20/2 w/SME V arm & Nordost Odin 2 Tone Arm Cable, Palo Santos Presentation Cartridge & Akai GX-400D Reel-to-Reel w/relapped heads by JRF Magnetic Sciences. Akai RC-17 cabled remote (original owner since 1974).
Vibration Control:TT on HRS M3X2-1921 shelf.
Speakers:Wilson Audio Alexia V (on order in Ferrari Argento Silver/Parchment grills sitting on Acoustic Diode Kit).
Power Cables:4 Nordost Odin Supreme Reference on amps, preamp & DAC. Ansuz Acoustics C2 on Transport & Clock.
Power Distribution:Ansuz Mainz D3 Distributor & Ansuz Mainz C2 1M Power Cable
Power Outlets:Furutech GTX-D NCF (R) duplex outlet, GTX Wall Plate & Duplex Cover (x2) on dedicated, same panel phase, 20A breakers.
Speaker Cables:2M Nordost Odin 2 Supreme Reference on Nordost Sort Lifts. (on Order)
Signal Cables:Nordost Odin XLR's on dCS DAC & Amps.
Digital Cables: Nordost Odin 2's, 110-ohm AES/EBU on dCS Transport to DAC.
Clock Cables:5 each 75 ohm 1.25M Nordost Valhalla BNC/BNC Digital
Ethernet Cable: WireWorld Platinum 1M Starlight® 8 Twinax
Headphones:Vintage Koss Pro IV AA.
RCM: Audio Desk PRO
Tube Test Gear:Mint late '60's/calibrated Heathkit TT-1A, MaxiMatcher Power Amp & Preamp & Space Tech Labs ATT-3.02 tube test sets.
Old 10-24-2009, 02:48 PM

Quote:
I like it a lot but I won't go as far as saying it can't be bested because it can. I think it is highly competitive in it's price range and even above to a point and it suits my needs for right now for sure.
Name the piece that can so I can check it out. Don't be shy.
Old 10-24-2009, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Name the piece that can so I can check it out. Don't be shy.
Greg, while you often engage in these types arguments where it would seem that "the stuff you own has to be the best on the planet just because you own it", I'll indulge you none the less. I don't need to remind you that I also own an EAR 324P and have heard other phono stages in my life. I have nothing to gain from these posts and I am not biased because I own the gear, if there is something better, I am always game to learn, hear and possibly acquire at some time.

Like I said, the EAR 324P is highly competitive in it's price range and will even compete with some units above but there are other phono stages out there that will eclipse it. I have no intentions of pursuing any other phono stages at this point, since to do it properly, one needs to have acquired the direction and the place where they are comfortable and happy, such as a table, a tonearm and cartridge and try to optimize the whole setup. Many great phono stages are not as flexible or as easy to adjust as the EAR 324 but once optimized, they are really something.

I could have easily bought the Lamm LP2 but then I would have missed out on the MM equation and the experience with the relatively inexpensive Maestro Wood as well as stress free and proper cartridge mounting. The Lamm LP2 is a great phono stage but it is limited and needs to have synergy with the cartridge you will use with it. Others out there from the likes of Zanden, Audio Note, DarTZeel, Shindo, ASR, Aesthetix, Tron, Boulder, Tidal just to name a few may offer more or less flexibility but I would not be betting anything that EAR 324 will not be eclipsed by one of the few I've mentioned by a wide margin.

If the EAR 324P was the "be all, end all" type of a phono stage, I would have seen it on other forums. Others have tried, liked it a lot but moved on to higher places. I am very comfortable with the EAR 324 at this point but will keep my options open when it comes time. I don't like to make major purchases unless I know for sure where I am going with it.

Last edited by PHC1; 10-24-2009 at 05:28 PM.
Old 10-24-2009, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Greg, while you often engage in these types arguments where it would seem that "the stuff you own has to be the best on the planet just because you own it", I'll indulge you none the less. I don't need to remind you that I also own an EAR 324P and have heard other phono stages in my life. I have nothing to gain from these posts and I am not biased because I own the gear, if there is something better, I am always game to learn, hear and possibly acquire at some time.

Like I said, the EAR 324P is highly competitive in it's price range and will even compete with some units above but there are other phono stages out there that will eclipse it. I have no intentions of pursuing any other phono stages at this point, since to do it properly, one needs to have acquired the direction and the place where they are comfortable and happy, such as a table, a tonearm and cartridge and try to optimize the whole setup. Many great phono stages are not as flexible or as easy to adjust as the EAR 324 but once optimized, they are really something.

I could have easily bought the Lamm LP2 but then I would have missed out on the MM equation and the experience with the relatively inexpensive Maestro Wood as well as stress free and proper cartridge mounting. The Lamm LP2 is a great phono stage but it is limited and needs to have synergy with the cartridge you will use with it. Others out there from the likes of Zanden, Audio Note, DarTZeel, Shindo, ASR, Aesthetics, Tron, Boulder, Tidal just to name a few may offer more or less flexibility but I would not be betting anything that EAR 324 will not be eclipsed by one of the few I've mentioned by a wide margin.

If the EAR 324P was the "be all, end all" type of a phono stage, I would have seen it on other forums. Others have tried, liked it a lot but moved on to higher places. I am very comfortable with the EAR 324 at this point but will keep my options open when it comes time. I don't like to make major purchases unless I know for sure where I am going with it.
Not argument intended, I prefer the to use the term debate.
You've been busy looking at other phono stages and have A/B quite a few that to you ears sounds better than the EAR 324.
I've never meant that the EAR 324 is the final word in phono stages, but I did say that I've yet to experience a better one. Not many are willing to pay $30K for a phono stage, like the Boulder 2 box unit, no matter how good it is.
If it sounds better, it is better.
Old 10-24-2009, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Not argument intended, I prefer the to use the term debate.
You've been busy looking at other phono stages and have A/B quite a few that to you ears sounds better than the EAR 324.
I've never meant that the EAR 324 is the final word in phono stages, but I did say that I've yet to experience a better one. Not many are willing to pay $30K for a phono stage, like the Boulder 2 box unit, no matter how good it is.
If it sounds better, it is better.
Greg, "Debate or debating" is a formal method of interactive and representational argument.

There will always be gear that sounds better. How much someone is willing to pay for that "better" is a personal decision but it doesn't change that fact.

The EAR 324P is a great phono stage for the money, it allowed me to experiment with different loadings and to see what they do to the sound and I have virtually nothing to complain about in terms of sonic performance.

I realize that the Maestro Wood is a very good cartridge but has its limitations and I am looking forward to trying an MC such as the XX-2 on it to see what else the EAR and the Clearaudio table is capable of.
I would not be surprised if I have yet to tap into the full potential of both and it will be fun to experiment. Going much further with this table and arm than the approx $2k cartridge may be just wasting money since they may not allow the full performance of the cartridge to come through.

I understand your enthusiasm about the EAR 324P. The only extensive listening I have done in my system and therefore have a direct opinion of is the Bellari tubed and now the EAR phono stages. The EAR is light years ahead of the Bellari but I wouldn't expect anything else for the price difference between the two.

I have heard other phono stages where I thought they may have a significant edge over the EAR but not in my own system yet. Hard to tell when there are so many other variables. I would not however exclude the possibility that other phono stages out there would make the EAR sound inferior by comparison in my own system. As a matter of fact, I'd be inclined to bet against my own EAR.
Old 10-24-2009, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Greg, "Debate or debating" is a formal method of interactive and representational argument.

There will always be gear that sounds better. How much someone is willing to pay for that "better" is a personal decision but it doesn't change that fact.

The EAR 324P is a great phono stage for the money, it allowed me to experiment with different loadings and to see what they do to the sound and I have virtually nothing to complain about in terms of sonic performance.

I realize that the Maestro Wood is a very good cartridge but has its limitations and I am looking forward to trying an MC such as the XX-2 on it to see what else the EAR and the Clearaudio table is capable of.
I would not be surprised if I have yet to tap into the full potential of both and it will be fun to experiment. Going much further with this table and arm than the approx $2k cartridge may be just wasting money since they may not allow the full performance of the cartridge to come through.

I understand your enthusiasm about the EAR 324P. The only extensive listening I have done in my system and therefore have a direct opinion of is the Bellari tubed and now the EAR phono stages. The EAR is light years ahead of the Bellari but I wouldn't expect anything else for the price difference between the two.

I have heard other phono stages where I thought they may have a significant edge over the EAR but not in my own system yet. Hard to tell when there are so many other variables. I would not however exclude the possibility that other phono stages out there would make the EAR sound inferior by comparison in my own system. As a matter of fact, I'd be inclined to bet against my own EAR.
In a few days(Wed of this upcoming week to be exact) I'll be auditioning a preamp with a integrated phono stage that's rumored to have the best phono stage out there. Hearing is believing. I look forward to hearing a integrated phono stage that will beat my EAR 324. Wait & see.
Old 10-24-2009, 04:36 PM

Quote:
In a few days(Wed of this upcoming week to be exact) I'll be auditioning a preamp with a integrated phono stage that's rumored to have the best phono stage out there. Hearing is believing. I look forward to hearing a integrated phono stage that will beat my EAR 324. Wait & see.
Looking forward to your findings. Which integrated are you going to audition? There are many proponents to an integrated rather than outboard phono approach as well.
Old 10-24-2009, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Looking forward to your findings. Which integrated are you going to audition? There are many proponents to an integrated rather than outboard phono approach as well.
Crimson 710 preamp. It has no XLR inputs or outputs, just RCA's.
As you know, I've not found a preamp that will contribute to the sound with my MC2102/MCD500 combo, I've found plenty of preamps that take away from the sound and one that does nothing either way. I'll PM you with my results. I don't want any further "debating" issues.
Old 10-24-2009, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Crimson 710 preamp. It has no XLR inputs or outputs, just RCA's.
As you know, I've not found a preamp that will contribute to the sound with my MC2102/MCD500 combo, I've found plenty of preamps that take away from the sound and one that does nothing either way. I'll PM you with my results. I don't want any further "debating" issues.
Maybe my post came across a bit harsh. The whole idea behind these forums is to promote discussions about audio of all kinds, even if they sometimes do turn into debates and arguments. I'll be looking forward to your impressions as I am sure others will as well so no need to PM, share openly.