AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Magico

Magico Extreme Fidelity

Old 10-30-2015, 09:11 PM

Thanks for your reply.

I agree that if you have a speaker that is known to be, to the extent possible given today's texhnology, totally neutral there are plenty of other places in the audio chain to add a bit of Salt/Pepper flavor to the sound if one finds that it's needed.

Have you tried your Solution amps with your Magico's? It's my understanding they are known to be very neutral. If you have tried them what are your impressions compared to a more flavor adding tube amp on the speakers?

I would say that all my gear minus the speakers I own are known to be very neutral. My power feed from the wall is also very clean despite not using any form of conditioning so I guess I'm pretty lucky in that regard. I have X 6 dedicated 20amp circuits using 10gauge romex at a pretty short distance away from the breaker box. Currently electrical related noise is is all but inaudible and requires ear resting on tweeter grille to even barley hear any hiss at all. Moving ear 2 inches away from tweeter grille results in that hiss going away completely.

The noise floor of the Hypex amps has been measured to be around -124db down which is even lower then that of my PreAmp which is around -118db down
(Classe CP-800) so I think I'm covered in terms of providing an appropriately clean front end before the Magico's.
Old 11-19-2015, 11:39 AM

Default Potential Purchase of a Pair of The S3s

I am not sure if anyone knows this but are the S3s slated for an upgrade anytime soon? I thought that they are pretty new. I see where Magico is rolling out updates to other models. Hence, my reason for asking. I am going into a dealership on Saturday to buy these or possible the Focal Sopras 2s. If I am going to "invest" in a $22K speaker, I would like to know that it is the latest and greatest and that it will not be replaced with an even better model the day after I walk out of the store. Thank you.
Old 11-19-2015, 01:02 PM

At this point Magico has announced MkII upgrades to the S1 and S5 which were released well before the newer S3. They have also said that there is no current upgrade planned for the S3, but of course that may change in time.
Old 11-19-2015, 09:48 PM

Don't you hate it when that happens

I also wondered if the same thing would happen when I just bought my S3's after seeing the newer updates to the S1 & S5's. After some further thought though, any MKII version would no doubt put the price out of my reach so I quickly thought no more of such possibilities.

I also decided to pony up and replace my amps with a set of PASS Labs XA100.5's to go along with my S3's so at this point my wallet will be licking its wounds for some time to come . My reasoning for the amp replacement was fear of having too much neutrality in the system given the Hypex's ultra clean sound in combination with the S3's similar nature. The PASS Amps should help to add a little seasoning to the sound if you will.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed that the "little" XA100.5's have enough juice to power these S3's appropriately given my louder then normal listening habits and fairly large listening room.

Last edited by audiomania; 11-19-2015 at 09:53 PM.
Old 11-20-2015, 12:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiomania View Post
I'm keeping my fingers crossed that the "little" XA100.5's have enough juice to power these S3's appropriately given my louder then normal listening habits and fairly large listening room.
I think you'll be happy with the results you get based on my experience with the same setup in my room and my dealers larger room .

Jimmy.
Old 11-20-2015, 01:00 AM

Hello,

Can anyone tell me if the S3 speaker terminals will accept a Banana Plug or are they Spade only?

Thanks
Old 11-20-2015, 07:30 AM

normally they are mundorf connectors, both spade and banana plug connection is possible
Old 11-20-2015, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Hello, Can anyone tell me if the S3 speaker terminals will accept a Banana Plug or are they Spade only? Thanks
The S5 terminal can take both spade and banana. I suppose the S3 use the same terminal connectors.
Old 11-20-2015, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Don't you hate it when that happens

I also wondered if the same thing would happen when I just bought my S3's after seeing the newer updates to the S1 & S5's. After some further thought though, any MKII version would no doubt put the price out of my reach so I quickly thought no more of such possibilities.

I also decided to pony up and replace my amps with a set of PASS Labs XA100.5's to go along with my S3's so at this point my wallet will be licking its wounds for some time to come . My reasoning for the amp replacement was fear of having too much neutrality in the system given the Hypex's ultra clean sound in combination with the S3's similar nature. The PASS Amps should help to add a little seasoning to the sound if you will.

Thank you for the feedback. I am about 24 hours out from walking into the dealership and putting an order in for the S3s. Costs as much a car! Thank god Kraft Mac and Cheese is still about $.07 a serving so I will survive. :-)
Old 11-20-2015, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyS View Post
I think you'll be happy with the results you get based on my experience with the same setup in my room and my dealers larger room .

Jimmy.
Thanks for the vote of confidence Jimmy