AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > McIntosh Audio

McIntosh Audio A Tradition of Excellence

Old 05-21-2018, 10:03 PM
♫ Now playing... ♫

MrG,

Thanks for the Monday smile.
McIntosh MX150, C2300, MC601 (5), MC207, MCD12000, MR88, MPC1500, LB100, MCLK12. Anthem AVM 90. Lumin U1. Bluesound Node. Oppo 205. Bowers & Wilkins 800 D3, CWM8.3D, CCM7.5 S2. SVS SB16-Ultra (4). Shunyata. Wireworld. Transparent. GIK.
Old 05-22-2018, 05:08 PM
Semi-audiophile

Quote:
Originally Posted by crwilli View Post
That’s funny and many of us can relate!
I'm one who can. I probably wouldn't have a C2300 if not for AA. Yes, it's an individual decision ultimately, but help going over the edge is always available here.
SOTA, Grado, SME, Van den Hul, Gingko turntable setup; Pioneer Elite LD, BDP; Sony OLED TV; Magnum Dynalab tuner, antenna; MIT S-video cable; Pangea HDMI cables; DVDO video processor; McIntosh SACD, preamp, power amps; Telefunken Black Diamond preamp tubes; Kimber IC; Transparent IC, PC, SC; Mirage speakers; PS Audio, Shunyata PC; Audio Additives RCA caps; Furman power conditioning; Sanus: racks
Old 06-11-2018, 08:01 PM

Location: Lago Vista Texas Downtown Austin and Frisco Colorado

TAS Review of the c52

http://www.theabsolutesound.com/arti...-preamplifier/
Old 06-12-2018, 12:25 PM
Blown & Injected

Nice review - like I always say, McIntosh allows me to focus on the music.
Old 06-12-2018, 02:27 PM
Merry Christmas to all

Kind of nice to see the McIntosh C52 preamplifier gracing the May/June cover of The Absolute Sound magazine.

STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, Shunyata Sigma spdif digital cable, Sonos Connect, PurePower 2000, Stillpoints, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Michell HR Power Supply, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Wireworld, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario
LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC75 (2), MR85, Magnum Dynalab 205, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Shunyata Sigma USB cable, Micro Seiki DD40, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, Nakamichi BX-300, Sony 60ES DAT, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, Sonos Connect, Stillpoints, Wireworld, Kimber, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113
VINTAGE - McIntosh MA230, Tandberg 3011A tuner, Olive 04HD, Sony DTC-59ES DAT, McIntosh 4300V, JBL 4312A
Old 06-12-2018, 03:16 PM
Racing Hoopties

I agree Dan.
Main Equipment: Kharma Elegance dB11-S, JL Audio F113v2 X 2, Block Audio Line & Mono SE Amplification, Bricasti M21 DAC, Antipodes Kala K-50 Server, Clearaudio Performance SE. Satisfy tonearm & Maestro wood MM cartridge.
Power: Shunyata Everest 8000, Sigma XC v2, Sigma NR v2, Block Audio PCs, Defender, ADDPowr Wizard
Grounding: Shunyata Altaira CGS - 4 X Alpha CGS cables,
Network : Supra Cat 8+, Twin (Nenon) Modified Buffalo GS2016 Switches, Keces P3 LPSU,
Cables: Wireworld Platinum 8 USB, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse 8 Speaker cables, 6M & 1M Tubulus Concentus ICs,
Other: Multiple GIK products, Stillpoint Apertures, Stillpoint Minis and Ultra SS, Three 20 Amp lines, Furutech GTX - Gold outlets, Adona Rack
Old 06-15-2018, 11:56 AM

Default McIntosh C52 Preamplifier Review

... always thought the C52 could play MQA when addressed by my Auralic Aries Femto. Seems this is not so though (although it does display the correct signal - 88.2 kHz or 192 kHz f.e.). Can anyone clarify? And if not - is there an external DAC that clearly beats the integrated DAC and does MQA?
Old 12-31-2018, 04:03 PM

JDandy, you're always, well informed, considered and measured thoughts on the C52, back in the beginning of this discussion, are, to me, a very significant and meaningful commentary on this unit. Especially as you are given to be a major fan, as I have long been, of the tube side of the world. Note your dearly appreciated C2300.

I am in a bit of an unusual position at the moment. A short time back, I was able to get an unbelievable deal on a DAC I have coveted thse past few years, the Lampizator Golden Gate. Unfortunately the preamp I have (which I absolutely loved prior to this) does not play well with the Golden Gate. When connected together, my system sound gets muddy, and the bass diminishes in a major way in both impact and solidity. When the Golden gate is connected dicrectly to my amp, and I use the optional volume control, this all clears up.

However, I am being told by the Golden gate guru's that the Golden Gate cannot reach it's optimal performance unless mated with a VERY good preamp. The problem is that my Manley Neo Classic 300B is simply too warm to work well with it. Of course, they are recommending many preamps they have found to work well with the GG, but they are all ridiculously expensive.

The Golden Gate has simply amazing clarity, detail, and depth, without even a hint of harshness or brightness. I only need a preamp that will pass on those strengths, while adding more of it's own, in addition to just a bit of fluidity and warmth. Do you feel that the C52 would likely provide that? My concern is that the C2300-C2500 would be a bit too much in that direction.

Also, in your opinion, as I would not be using the C52 as a DAC, obviously, or make use of its phono section, or headphone amp, does it, solely as a preamplifier, remain a good buy, and top performer as simply a preamp?

I would love to add a McIntosh piece to what has essentially become, my long time, retirement system. Thanks for any help. Anyone's perspective is appreciated on this. Thanks.

JC
Old 01-01-2019, 04:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Clark View Post
JDandy, you're always, well informed, considered and measured thoughts on the C52, back in the beginning of this discussion, are, to me, a very significant and meaningful commentary on this unit. Especially as you are given to be a major fan, as I have long been, of the tube side of the world. Note your dearly appreciated C2300.

I am in a bit of an unusual position at the moment. A short time back, I was able to get an unbelievable deal on a DAC I have coveted thse past few years, the Lampizator Golden Gate. Unfortunately the preamp I have (which I absolutely loved prior to this) does not play well with the Golden Gate. When connected together, my system sound gets muddy, and the bass diminishes in a major way in both impact and solidity. When the Golden gate is connected dicrectly to my amp, and I use the optional volume control, this all clears up.

However, I am being told by the Golden gate guru's that the Golden Gate cannot reach it's optimal performance unless mated with a VERY good preamp. The problem is that my Manley Neo Classic 300B is simply too warm to work well with it. Of course, they are recommending many preamps they have found to work well with the GG, but they are all ridiculously expensive.

The Golden Gate has simply amazing clarity, detail, and depth, without even a hint of harshness or brightness. I only need a preamp that will pass on those strengths, while adding more of it's own, in addition to just a bit of fluidity and warmth. Do you feel that the C52 would likely provide that? My concern is that the C2300-C2500 would be a bit too much in that direction.

Also, in your opinion, as I would not be using the C52 as a DAC, obviously, or make use of its phono section, or headphone amp, does it, solely as a preamplifier, remain a good buy, and top performer as simply a preamp?

I would love to add a McIntosh piece to what has essentially become, my long time, retirement system. Thanks for any help. Anyone's perspective is appreciated on this. Thanks.

JC
John, I'm obviously not Dan and don't possess his knowledge or expertise by a pretty good bit but I'd say you might like the C52. I don't think you give up much in the way of the Mac sound with addition of the phono section or DAC, etc. And with the C52 you have excellent backups already built in if your main equipment goes down which I think to be quite important.

Sources: McIntosh MCD1100 SACD player, MVP881 BR player, MVP851 DVD player, MR87 tuner, Marantz 510LV Laser Disc player, ASUS laptop USB (JRiver Media Center 23)
Speakers: Wilson Audio Specialties Alexx
Sub-woofer: Wilson Audio Specialties Thor’s Hammer (1) and Wilson Watch Controller
Cables main system: Audioquest Wel Signature speaker cables and IC’s; Dragon power cords (8)
Sub-woofer system: Audioquest Redwood speaker cable; Wolf IC and Hurricane power cords (2)
Power conditioners: Audioquest Niagara 7000 (1) and Niagara 5000 (2); (4) 20-amp lines
Old 01-01-2019, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Clark View Post

Accuphase C-3850 might be the best option, but it is really expensive.

McIntosh C52 sounds a little bit brighter than C2600. Maybe LampizatOr Golden Gate sounds too warm with McIntosh C2600. If you want to add a little bit warmth to sound, then C52 might not be best option. Maybe McIntosh C1100 is, what you are looking for?