AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > The Lounge > General Off Topic

General Off Topic Almost anything goes!

Old 05-02-2020, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHC1 View Post
I’m not a scientist Charles. I don’t need to be a scientist to be curious, to read and to understand just enough of the topic to get a general picture without diving into advanced math or theories since I’m not involved with proving any theories myself.

I still don’t agree with your point of view of scientific research being a waste. If the funding is available, someone is interested enough in the topic, research away and see what comes out ... Imagine a world where scientific curiosity and experimentation is stifled because every scientist needs to be pragmatic and reasonable first and foremost ...
+1.
My dad was an engineer. One thing I learned from him - and I'm still discovering more of them - is: Think for yourself. It's great to incorporate formulas and data and measurements and proofs, but none of them are a replacement for thinking for yourself. I believe this to be as true in his field of engineering and science as it is in every aspect of life.

Thinking for yourself includes using all of your brain to challenge, question, doubt, probe, observe, measure, imagine, speculate. There will always be those who will seek to discourage or belittle that, or to pressure you into their beliefs. And it can actually be a good thing to listen to those people, because you can never be sure where you'll find truth and knowledge. But never, ever let them, or anyone, do your thinking for you.

I don't want to put too fine a point on this, but I see abundant evidence in our culture that many people don't think for themselves. To be fair, some don't know how. Typically, our public education system doesn't teach logic or critical thinking, and it and life drum the natural curiosity out of many. It's sad, really, because most all of us were born with a natural desire to question and explore.
Old 05-02-2020, 01:19 PM

Much better way to at least have a basic understanding of deep physics is to read Brian Green books.
Old 05-02-2020, 01:50 PM
Cool, calm scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
However, in the meantime Charles would say very humbly, we are dying at a very rapid rate. Our average lifespan is 78 years in the USA and decreasing.
Actually, our median lifespan is increasing, but we're getting pretty far off-topic here.
Lumin P1 streamer/DAC/preamp, Constellation Inspiration integrated TT: Michell Gyro SE MkII, SME V, Koetsu Urushi Vermilion, EAR324. Harbeth 30.2s, REL R-305, Shunyata Alpha V2 ICs, Alpha V2 SPs, Sigma XC, Sigma NRv2, Omega QR-s & Alpha NRv2 PCs, segmented Altaira SG stack w/ Alpha & Omega CGCs, Everest 8000 PD. Remote Server Room: Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark Master Clock & LPS, Alita, Battle Angel, (Akasa NUC Roon Core), iFi DC Purifiers (for SMPS used for Alita & router), Shunyata Gemini combo power distributor & Altaira-type CG GP-NR hub, Venom & Alpha CGCs, Shunyata NRv14 power cords for digital components.
Old 05-03-2020, 09:29 AM

String theory claims that every point in spacetime is actually a tiny 6D world with the structure of a Calabi-Yau manifold.

https://plus.maths.org/content/hidden-dimensions

Enjoy in reeding!!!
Old 05-03-2020, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikko View Post
String theory claims that every point in spacetime is actually a tiny 6D world with the structure of a Calabi-Yau manifold.

Enjoy in reeding!!!
Better still...written by the man himself ...it is a tough read, but fascinating nonetheless.

Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 220FFCF7-E666-41FD-A2A2-223A32DAADCD.jpeg (59.2 KB, 66 views)
Old 05-03-2020, 12:15 PM
Cool, calm scientist

Quote:

Enjoy in reeding!!!
Garrett Lisi is of the view that String Theory has not produced anything productive OR...predictable with data in over 20 years, and is no longer a productive avenue of "research". His view is that the only reason it is still being "investigated" is because mathematical physicists can still get get grants for it.

His view is what has shaped his theories around E8:
https://youtu.be/8_uiqjO1IEU
Lumin P1 streamer/DAC/preamp, Constellation Inspiration integrated TT: Michell Gyro SE MkII, SME V, Koetsu Urushi Vermilion, EAR324. Harbeth 30.2s, REL R-305, Shunyata Alpha V2 ICs, Alpha V2 SPs, Sigma XC, Sigma NRv2, Omega QR-s & Alpha NRv2 PCs, segmented Altaira SG stack w/ Alpha & Omega CGCs, Everest 8000 PD. Remote Server Room: Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark Master Clock & LPS, Alita, Battle Angel, (Akasa NUC Roon Core), iFi DC Purifiers (for SMPS used for Alita & router), Shunyata Gemini combo power distributor & Altaira-type CG GP-NR hub, Venom & Alpha CGCs, Shunyata NRv14 power cords for digital components.
Old 05-03-2020, 12:39 PM

According to string theory, the existence of 6 hidden dimensions at each point in space is a prerequisite for the 3d world we live in.
Old 05-03-2020, 01:24 PM
Cool, calm scientist

Quote:
According to string theory, the existence of 6 hidden dimensions at each point in space is a prerequisite for the 3d world we live in.
There is virtually no empirical data supporting string theory, and it has been neither proven nor disproven.
Old 05-03-2020, 03:57 PM

Also string theory offers an answer to why we have 4 fundamental forces and a limited number of families of basic particles of matter.
Old 05-03-2020, 05:48 PM
Cool, calm scientist

I think comes down to whether the Universe is ontological or epistemological.