AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Classe' Audio

Classe' Audio Uncompromising Audio

Old 01-15-2013, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RebelMan View Post
The reviewer was referring to the most (tube based) persnickety among us that are searching for an elusive sonic nirvana to whom price is incidental to performance. For solid state fans he went on to say that the CP-800 coupled with the CA-M600 are enough to call it a day and that there is no need to look any further for knockout performance.
You're exactly right, through almost the entire article all he does is give high praise !!
Old 01-15-2013, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RebelMan View Post
The reviewer was referring to the most (tube based) persnickety among us that are searching for an elusive sonic nirvana to whom price is incidental to performance. For solid state fans he went on to say that the CP-800 coupled with the CA-M600 are enough to call it a day and that there is no need to look any further for knockout performance.
I would totally agree. I have "almost" this setup on my Sonus Faber Guarnari Momento's. For the money, its stupid good. The 2300 plus cp800 is one heck of a sound. Super dark, clean and incredibly fast. If someone doesn't have an arm and a leg to spend and still wants the best, this combo of the CA-M600's and the CP800 is hard to beat.
Old 01-15-2013, 11:01 PM

I would get the CA-2300 myself.
Old 01-16-2013, 12:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDP View Post
Jeff, The other preamps he was using as a comparison were the Ypsilon PST-100,which is one of his reference components, and also the VTL 7.5 mk 3.
Both expensive. He cited a slight metallic sound to the CP 800 in comparison to the tube preamps.
Thanks Mark!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbovaird View Post
Jeff - are you able to buy a copy? It's a good edition. They really liked the CP800, besides noting it didn't have the last little bit as fleshed out as much higher priced preamps and a slight metallic sound, I agree with the former, but I haven't heard any slight metallic sound myself. Overall, they loved it.
Mike, unknowingly, my subscription ended in Dec . I will try to pick it up at a newsstand. Honestly, if it wasn't for RebelMan's news about the upcoming upgrades to the CP800, I would have bought one this week. Now I'm in that terrible place of waiting for the upgraded units to be released in Spring. Ugh!

I've got to believe the CP-800 will be a nice match for my MC452 amp, somewhat complimentary in style, no? Looking forward to it, just wish I didn't have to wait so long.
Speakers: Canton Ref K3
Old 01-16-2013, 04:00 AM

Jeff, I tried a Classe'/McIntosh hybrid system using a CP-500 head unit and an MC275 amplifier with a pair of 802D speakers and it was a surprisingly great combination. I suspect you could do something similar and achieve great results too.

Last edited by RebelMan; 01-16-2013 at 04:03 AM.
Old 01-16-2013, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffkad View Post

Thanks Mark!

Mike, unknowingly, my subscription ended in Dec . I will try to pick it up at a newsstand. Honestly, if it wasn't for RebelMan's news about the upcoming upgrades to the CP800, I would have bought one this week. Now I'm in that terrible place of waiting for the upgraded units to be released in Spring. Ugh!

I've got to believe the CP-800 will be a nice match for my MC452 amp, somewhat complimentary in style, no? Looking forward to it, just wish I didn't have to wait so long.
Jeff - I had the CP800 on a variety of amps and it worked great. It's so versatile and neutral sounding that the true sound of your amp and speakers really shine through. If you lived closer, I would lend you mine to try! I understand about waiting for the upgrade. I would just get it and do the upgrade later. Who knows? It might get delayed again. It sounds excellent, black black backgrounds . Wide deep soundstage and takes nothing away from the sound. Keep all the packaging and send it in for the upgrade when you're ready. Send it in when you're going to be away for a week or two on business or vacation - then you won't miss it as much.

After you read the review.....you'll probably order one!

Mike
Old 01-16-2013, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbovaird View Post
Jeff - I had the CP800 on a variety of amps and it worked great. It's so versatile and neutral sounding that the true sound of your amp and speakers really shine through. If you lived closer, I would lend you mine to try! I understand about waiting for the upgrade. I would just get it and do the upgrade later. Who knows? It might get delayed again. It sounds excellent, black black backgrounds . Wide deep soundstage and takes nothing away from the sound. Keep all the packaging and send it in for the upgrade when you're ready. Send it in when you're going to be away for a week or two on business or vacation - then you won't miss it as much.

After you read the review.....you'll probably order one!

Mike
Mike, you and RebelMan just about have me convinced. You may be hearing from me soon
Old 01-16-2013, 10:16 PM

I want to hear how much you love it!
Old 01-17-2013, 12:26 AM

Yeah, I need a good preamp now as my system evolves bit by bit. I picked up the new Marantz AV8801 and, while it's spectacular for movies compared to my old Sunfire TGP5, the SQ as an analog preamp falls short of the Sunfire, which had a very nice analog preamp section. The Marantz is just a little too polite and has taken some of the shimmer off the top. It's time to add a good lively preamp, followed by a good dac like maybe the PWD ll or BADA. Of course, maybe the CP-800 slays both of those dragons in one shot?
Old 01-17-2013, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffkad View Post
Yeah, I need a good preamp now as my system evolves bit by bit. I picked up the new Marantz AV8801 and, while it's spectacular for movies compared to my old Sunfire TGP5, the SQ as an analog preamp falls short of the Sunfire, which had a very nice analog preamp section. The Marantz is just a little too polite and has taken some of the shimmer off the top. It's time to add a good lively preamp, followed by a good dac like maybe the PWD ll or BADA. Of course, maybe the CP-800 slays both of those dragons in one shot?
Jeff - just looking at your signature, its easy to see you've built an amazing system. AMAZING! Salon 2's (still one of my favs), 452 (the best stereo amp Mc has ever made?? quite possibly) and now the av8801 (a killer SSP - I love mine). So what do you need? Hmmm...a DAC and a Preamp with HT bypass. You have a couple of routes you could go. Yes, the CP800 makes perfect sense and is a great one box solution. It would be my first choice given your components and the reviews are all stellar.

But.......I'm going to throw you a curve ball. You might want to consider a Pass XP-10 preamp (or an XP-20 preamp if you can stretch your budget) and a Mytek DAC 192 (DSD compatible) for ABOUT the same amount of money. It's another option indeed. The Pass would add some warmth (without tube hassles) and the Mytek DAC is DSD compatible. Initial reviews on the Mytek 192 DSD DAC are excellent.

If you need a one box solution or you need bass management, then that rules out the Pass/Mytek combo.

I throw that out for consideration.

Mike