AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Sonus Faber

Sonus Faber Italy's Best

Old 07-15-2015, 10:11 PM

Default Further Update: INCOMING Amati Futura

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLF View Post
UPDATE:

My dealer was kind enough to set up their Futura using a Standard Ref 75 (non-SE) for me to audition using my own music. The sound was very good, but compared to my Ref 75SE driving my large ProAcs the bass was not as strong. Since my dealer does not yet have the SE version of the Ref 75, it was suggested that I bring in my 75 SE for another audition. My dealer also has the Ayre XV-5 Twenty in stock. During another audition, I will see how that amp mates with the Amati Futura. I suspect that the Ayre will dig deeper, but as some have stated above it probably won't give all the magic of the ARC Ref 75 which is so special to my ears.

On another note, the SF Amati Futura is the most beautiul looking speaker that I have ever laid my eyes on. Pictures cannot do it justice.

I wish that I could bring home the demo Amati Futuras to try in my own room and system. I do have an asymmetrical front wall with the right soeaker closer to the wall than the left. I don't know if that might present a problem with the Futura? Since my ProAcs are ported from the bottom, placement is relative easy compared to some speakers. Since my listening room is a multipurpose room, I have limited placement options.

Does anyone here who own Amari Futuras find that they are fussy about placement?

Thanks to all that have replied and the helpful info provided.

Bob
Further updates:

I came back to my dealer a second time to audition the AF with an Ayre VX-5 Twenty, once again using my own music. Since my first audition, my dealer made some adjustments to the room. He did not specify what changes were made and I forgot to ask.

Both my wife and I were quite surprised how well the Ayre sounded powering the AF. The bass was quite strong and the midrange and upper end also sounded quite good, though maybe not as good as with the standard ARC Ref 75? At this point I was still undecided, so the next day I brought my own ARC Ref 75SE to my dealer for yet another audition. Both my wife and I (and my dealer) were amazed how much powerful my Ref75SE sounded in comparison to the standard Ref 75. Of course some of this might have been due to the changes made to the room too? When I asked my non-audiophile wife which amp she liked best, she was unsure and said that both sounded good, just different.

Anyway, I was convinced enough to pull the trigger and purchase a red/black satin Amati Futura which should arrive sometime in mid-August.

Once my new AF are broken-in, my dealer will come back out to my home to make final adjustments in placement. .

By the time that my new speakers arrive, I should have my Ayre back with the Twenty upgrade so I should be able to compare both amps with the Amati Futura to see which one I ultimately like more. Probably the Ref 75SE?

Again thanks to all those who provided helpful replies to my thread including Bill.
Old 07-16-2015, 12:30 AM

Bob...congrats on the Futuras. Let us know how the comparo between the Ayre MXR-Twenties and the ARC Ref 75SE pans out on the Futuras
Old 07-16-2015, 02:21 AM

Thank you Cyril.

I sure will give my impressions of my amps once I have everything put together and burned-in.

Just to clarify however, my Ayre amp is the VX-5 Twenty which is not in the MX-R top-of-the-line series, but still pretty good sounding in my opinion; at least when auditioning at my dealer with the AF. Of course not having heard the R-Series in my system, I cannot comment on how much better that it is in comparison to the 5 series having never heard it in my in my system. If my Ayre blows away my ARC Ref 75SE with the AF then I will consider auditioning either the R series stereo amp or the mono-blocks.

Bob
Old 07-16-2015, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Thank you Cyril.

I sure will give my impressions of my amps once I have everything put together and burned-in.

Just to clarify however, my Ayre amp is the VX-5 Twenty which is not in the MX-R top-of-the-line series, but still pretty good sounding in my opinion; at least when auditioning at my dealer with the AF. Of course not having heard the R-Series in my system, I cannot comment on how much better that it is in comparison to the 5 series having never heard it in my in my system. If my Ayre blows away my ARC Ref 75SE with the AF then I will consider auditioning either the R series stereo amp or the mono-blocks.

Bob
Got it...either way, looking forward to your comments
Old 10-11-2016, 06:15 PM

Can you let me know how gig of a difference the Audio Research REF 6 improved your system? I have all solid state today from Classe, but I am considering to replace my pre amp w/ a ref 6?

Thanks
Old 10-13-2016, 02:56 AM

In my system, and especially with my Reference 75SE, the Reference 6 imparted a greater improvement above and beyond my Reference 5se than I ever expected. "Wow" was my first reaction. Bass, slam, micro & macro dynamics, lower noise floor, and a more detailed presentation were all improved over my Reference 5Se.

Of course, and if at all possible, the Reference 6 should be auditioned in one's own system for system synergy.

Just my 2 cents.
Old 10-13-2016, 12:16 PM

I heard the Ref 75SE with the Strads. The overall sound quality was great with awesome mids and good stage height. Bass, however, was very uncontrolled and fat. I think it will be very similar with the Amati's, not recommended.
Old 10-13-2016, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglas View Post
I heard the Ref 75SE with the Strads. The overall sound quality was great with awesome mids and good stage height. Bass, however, was very uncontrolled and fat. I think it will be very similar with the Amati's, not recommended.
Bass that "was very uncontrolled and fat" which you heard with the Strads is not what I hear with the Amati Futuras in my system. To make a blanket statement "not recommend" is ludicrous in my opinion based on your Strads.

If you go back through this thread which I started over a year ago before purchasing my Amati Futuras, you can see that I carefully researched and auditioned these speakers with with the Ref 75SE before purchasing them, and in the context of my system, find the bass to be more than adequate and not "very uncontrolled and fat." To each his own.
Old 10-13-2016, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Bass that "was very uncontrolled and fat" which you heard with the Strads is not what I hear with the Amati Futuras in my system. To make a blanket statement "not recommend" is ludicrous in my opinion based on your Strads.

If you go back through this thread which I started over a year ago before purchasing my Amati Futuras, you can see that I carefully researched and auditioned these speakers with with the Ref 75SE before purchasing them, and in the context of my system, find the bass to be more than adequate and not "very uncontrolled and fat." To each his own.
Compared to solid state, I would agree that the Ref75 bass can sound SLIGHTLY uncontrolled, but i also imagine that it is highly dependent on the speakers and the room. I have a lot of experience with that amp and different room and speaker configurations. I'm not quick to dismiss the assertion, but I also don't think everyone will experience this.

Also note that my experience was with a Ref75 with kt-150's (non-se)
Old 10-13-2016, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2fastdriving View Post
Compared to solid state, I would agree that the Ref75 bass can sound SLIGHTLY uncontrolled, but i also imagine that it is highly dependent on the speakers and the room. I have a lot of experience with that amp and different room and speaker configurations. I'm not quick to dismiss the assertion, but I also don't think everyone will experience this.

Also note that my experience was with a Ref75 with kt-150's (non-se)
On paper, the Ref 75SE shouldn't be able to drive the Amati Futuras as well as it does in the bass; at least to my ears in my system. I also have an Ayre SS amp and do rotate both amps in my system from time to time so I'm familiar with the bass of a typical SS amp.