AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Cary Audio Design

Cary Audio Design Superior Quality and Value

Old 03-23-2014, 09:55 AM
Audio Enthusiast

Default New Cary Preamp?

Now that the guest bathroom is finished, I've gotten the OK to proceed with the purchase of a preamp. I have been researching several and have narrowed my search to the Cary SLP-03. Was also looking at BAT, CJ and ModWright, but the Cary has all the features I'm looking for and in my price range ($3000 max). It will be matched up with a Pass Labs X150.5 amp. I've read several reviews and trying to find more and was wondering if anybody has any real life experience with this preamp. Thanks, Jack
Sources..........Music Hall MMF 9.3 Walnut w/ Goldring
Eroica LX MC Cartridge
Phono Pre...…..Sutherland Insight

CD Player Rotel RCD-1072
Record Cleaning Machine...….Okki Nokki
DAC................Bryston BDA-3
Headphones.....Drop + Dan Clark Audio Ether CX /
Sennheiser HD-660S
Headphone Amp.....Bryston BHA-1
Cables....Amp to preamp - Morrow MA4
Preamp to DAC - Morrow MA4
Preamp to Headphone Amp - Morrow MA2
Old 03-24-2014, 06:33 AM
Retired

Jack - nice car (just traded in my Crystal Red '11 RS on a new Malibu - got tired of fighting to get things in and out of the Camaro trunk - like my amps, etc.).
Check with Audio Connections in Verona, NJ. They are a Cary dealer and have an SLP-03 trade-in available. Money saved would purchase a nice cartridge up-grade or some tubes to roll, etc.
Canton Reference 9 Clearaudio SM Pro Focal Bathys JLA 10" Dominion Kuzma Stabi S w/MC & MM Magnepan 1,7i McIntosh MA8950 & MR88 Oppo 203 Roon Nucleus Rose Hifi RS150B Shunyata Gemini-4 Sony ST-A6B, TA-F6B, ST-J75 & PS-X75 Sorane SA1.2 & TA-1L Stillpoints LP1v2 WW Pt, Au & Ag
Old 03-24-2014, 07:22 AM
Audio Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formerly YB-2 View Post
Jack - nice car (just traded in my Crystal Red '11 RS on a new Malibu - got tired of fighting to get things in and out of the Camaro trunk - like my amps, etc.).
Check with Audio Connections in Verona, NJ. They are a Cary dealer and have an SLP-03 trade-in available. Money saved would purchase a nice cartridge up-grade or some tubes to roll, etc.
Thanks Glenn. Luckily I don't have to use the Camaro to move amps. I have a local Cary dealer that will take your old equipment in trade and I'm waiting to hear from them. I've always wanted to take a road trip to Verona though, so thanks for the tip. The Camaro could use a trip, I barely get her out of 4th gear around town. Any money saved could be used for tube rolling for sure. I've heard a nice set of Mullard's would work well.
Sources..........Music Hall MMF 9.3 Walnut w/ Goldring
Eroica LX MC Cartridge
Phono Pre...…..Sutherland Insight

CD Player Rotel RCD-1072
Record Cleaning Machine...….Okki Nokki
DAC................Bryston BDA-3
Headphones.....Drop + Dan Clark Audio Ether CX /
Sennheiser HD-660S
Headphone Amp.....Bryston BHA-1
Cables....Amp to preamp - Morrow MA4
Preamp to DAC - Morrow MA4
Preamp to Headphone Amp - Morrow MA2
Old 03-27-2014, 01:07 PM
Retired

Jack - like your SLP 03 idea so much that I bought a black one. After reading the spec's, find that it fits my needs well. Was 'switchbox shopping' for additional inputs to feed my preamp. The SLP 03, with 1-XLR (CDP) & 6-RCA inputs will be just the ticket for my gear. Ships tomorrow, so should have the middle of next week.
Canton Reference 9 Clearaudio SM Pro Focal Bathys JLA 10" Dominion Kuzma Stabi S w/MC & MM Magnepan 1,7i McIntosh MA8950 & MR88 Oppo 203 Roon Nucleus Rose Hifi RS150B Shunyata Gemini-4 Sony ST-A6B, TA-F6B, ST-J75 & PS-X75 Sorane SA1.2 & TA-1L Stillpoints LP1v2 WW Pt, Au & Ag

Last edited by Formerly YB-2; 03-27-2014 at 02:27 PM.
Old 03-27-2014, 02:04 PM

Might want to consider the Dialogue 3 at $2700 add $199 for phono if needed

Product Description

Continuing with PrimaLuna’s founding principle of offering sophisticated components with advanced features for an exceptional price, the DiaLogue Three Preamplifier is yet another winner in PrimaLuna’s string of first place finishers.
One of the first things you’ll notice about the Three is its size: the dual-mono designed preamp weighs in at a hefty 24kg… that’s some serious iron! Much of that comes from its new, heavy-duty, DiaLogue class power transformers – already recognized as a reference in the industry – that provide increased control and detail. And in the unlikely event that one of the transformers should overheat, DiaLogue’s innovative new PTP-circuit cuts the primary power, allows the unit to cool down, and then resets itself.
The preamp also features another protective measure, a SoftStart circuit that powers it up gently and extends the life of tubes and other sensitive components.
However, unquestionably the most significant feature is DiaLogue Three’s front end, a complete re-design of the award winning ProLogue Three. Utilizing all 12AU7s, it combines with the new transformers to lower noise and increase low level resolution in ways not thought possible. In fact, distortion levels in the first stage have dropped by a factor of five at low levels, to at least 20 at higher levels, above one volt.
The DiaLogue Three is tube rectified, utilizing two 5AR4 vacuum tubes. And it employs all premium parts, including a motorized Alps Blue Velvet potentiometer; Nichicon, Swellong and Solen capacitors (including some tinfoils); fast-recovery diodes; ceramic tube sockets; and gold-plated, panel mounted input and output jacks that provide a more secure connection.
Further, the DiaLogue Three has five line level inputs for maximum versatility, one RCA tape out and two RCA pre outs as well as a home theater pass-thru circuit that promises to keep everyone in the family happy. Finally, it comes with a stunning, heavy-gauge, anodized aluminium remote that controls all functions of the preamp as well as those of the Prologue Eight CD player and the DiaLogue Eight CD player (coming soon).
All these exceptional features come encased in the exquisite DiaLogue chassis, with its five- stage, hand-rubbed, high-gloss, black-sapphire finish.
Also available with optional MM phonostage. Price: $199. Click here for info.

Owner's manual
Specifications

Freq. Response: 10Hz-130kHz +/- 3dB
Gain: 12dB
THD: 0.15% at 2 Volts
S/N Ratio: >100dB wtdA @ 2Volts
Input Sensitivity: 220mV
Input Impedance: 200k Ohms
Output Impedance: 2.5k Ohms
Power Consumption: 50 watts
Tube Compliment: 4 - 12AU7, 2 - 5AR4
Dimensions: 15.9" x 8.3" x 15.2" (WxHxD)
Weight: 52.9 lbs
Inputs: 5 pair RCA, 1 pair HT bypass
Outputs: 2 pairs of pre-amp outputs + tape monitor out

Warranty Information

Two years parts & labor. Six month warranty on stock vacuum tubes.
Terms & Conditions:
  • Limited to original purchaser. This warranty is for the sole benefit of the original purchaser of the covered product, and may not be transferred to a subsequent owner
  • This warranty is subject to conditions and limitations, as follows: This warrantly is void and inapplicable if the product has not been used in accordance with the instructions found in the owner's manual, or if it has been misused, abused, damaged by accident or neglect, or in transport once in possession of purchaser. The warranty is also void if the product has been tampered with or has been repaired or modified by anyone other than PrimaLuna USA, or its specifically authorized representatives.
  • If this product contains material, manufacturing, or workmanship defects, it must be packed in orginal packaging and returned to PrimaLuna USA or its authorized representative via insured freight, at the owner's expense. Returned products must be accompanied by written description of the defect, and a return authorization number (available from PrimaLuna USA). Upon receipt of the defective product, PrimaLuna USA or the authorized representative agrees to repair the product without charge for parts (except vacuum tubes if the unit is more than 6 months old), or labor. The product will then returned via prepaid, insured freight, with carrier at the sole determination of PrimaLuna USA, or the authorized representative. This constitutes the purchaser's sole remedy.
  • Design change. PrimaLuna and its partners reserve the right to modify their products or change specifications at any time without obligation or liability to previous purchasers.
Old 03-27-2014, 02:29 PM
Retired

repman - are you a PrimaLuna salesman?
Old 03-27-2014, 02:33 PM

Not at all , I have heard them and felt they were a good value for the money . I am a CJ fan personally but in a low cost pre I would buy one of these in a minute .
Old 12-16-2014, 10:17 AM
Retired

See that I've not reported back on the SLP-03 now that it has some 9 months of run-time.
After a couple of weeks of listening, the stock tubes were swapped out with a matched quad of Sylvania gray-plates. A bit quieter and a bit more extension with the new set. Being fully balanced, the SLP-03 is quiet. Especially for a tube preamp. And very flexible with the XLR in/out along with the 6-RCA inputs. Going into this I was just looking for a tube preamp to run the CAD-572SE SET amps and not expecting anything all that great. However, with the new tubes the SLP-03 has morphed into the equal of the BAT VK-30 BAT-pack preamp that was my previous favorite for sound and flexibility.
What got me going on this report is that I've not been all that happy with my SET/speaker combination. Replaced the SET pair with a pair of Bryston 2B-LPs, running them as mono-block amps. The Joseph Audio Cynergys are much happier with the 200wpc then they were with the 20wpc, which is no surprise (pair of Focal 807Ws with a 92db sensitivity go into the mix tomorrow - should be a better match for the CAD-572SEs).
The one constant in the system is that the SLP-03 is still providing excellent sound. Great extension at both ends, very linear. excellent sound-stage side-to-side as well as great depth. Vocalists and instruments are easily located (though I feel this is more of a function of the speaker location & room then the equipment).
Am pleased enough with the SLP-03 that at some point may do a cap upgrade. The only negative is the cheapo remote. While it is very flexible and 'full-function', putting it into a machined aluminum case rather than the cheap plastic would have been a nice touch. Am pleased enough with the SLP-03 that am no longer thinking of moving up the Cary preamp food-chain to the SLP-98 or -05.

Ha, ha.......... after posting my glowing review I no longer own the SLP-03. Person who bought my Cary mono-blocks wanted the SLP-03 as part of the deal so it is gone. The replacement is an SLI-80 Sig F1 that will ship after the Xmas madness.

Last edited by Formerly YB-2; 12-19-2014 at 12:17 PM.