AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > McIntosh Audio

McIntosh Audio A Tradition of Excellence

Old 09-09-2020, 10:20 PM
AA Founder, Legend AV Owner

AudioFi... Welcome to AA!
MX136, MC1.2KW(10) MC2KW(2), MCD1100, MS750(2) MVP881, C1000C/P/T, MPC1500, HT-2 SUBS(2) HT3F(2) WS350(2) XRT2K, XCS2K, XR27(2) XCS350(2) JL GOTHAM v2 SUBS(2) SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, LUMAGEN RADIANCE SCALER, SONY VPH-G90U 4K PROJECTOR, STEWART 120" MOTORIZED SCREEN, CINEMA-TECH SEATING, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Reference System: ACCUPHASE A300 AMPS, C3900 PRE-AMP, DP1000 CD/SACD TRANSPORT, DC1000 DIGITAL PROCESSOR, DG-68 DIGITAL EQUALIZER, T1200 FM STEREO TUNER, PS1230 POWER SUPPLY, HRS-SXR CUSTOM RACK w/ M3X SHELVES, TAD REFERENCE ONE MK2 LOUDSPEAKERS, WW PLATINUM CABLES
CAPE COD

MX150, MC501(2) MC1.2KW(10) MC2301(2) MR88, MVP881, MCD1100, MDA1000, C1000C/P/T, MPC1500, ESOTERIC K-01X 30th ANNIVERSARY (BLACK) SACD/CD PLAYER, G02-X CLOCK, HT3F(2) XRT2K, XCS2K, XR27(2) JL GOTHAM v2 SUBS(2) JL FATHOM F113v2 SUBS(4) SOUND ANCHOR STANDS(2) KALEIDESCAPE STRATO & TERRA SERVERS 80-TB, LUMAGEN RADIANCE SCALER, SONY VPH-G90U 4K PROJECTOR, STEWART 120" SCREEN, SONUS FABER STRADIVARI, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, FORTRESS SEATING, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Analog Rig: CLEARAUDIO INNOVATION WOOD, UNIVERSAL ARM w/ Da VINCI' CART, 2nd UNIVERSAL ARM w/ GOLDFINGER STATEMENT CART, HRS-MXR REFERENCE RACK-GLOSS BLACK w/ M3X SHELVES, AESTHETIX RHEA SIG PHONO-PRE, BRYSTON BHA-1 HEADPHONE AMP, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Reference System: BURMESTER 911MK3 AMP(3), 088 PRE-AMP, 089 CD PLAYER, 100 PHONO PRE-AMP, 948 POWER CONDITIONER, ACCUPHASE DG-68 VOICING EQUALIZER, AVID ACUTUS REFERENCE SP TT, GRAHAM PHANTOM II SUPREME ARM, BENZ MICRO LP-S CART, GRANDIOSO P1X/D1X STACK, G1X RUBIDIUM MASTER CLOCK, N05 NETWORK PLAYER, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, HRS-SXR CUSTOM RACK w/ M3X SHELVES, SONUS FABER AIDA SPEAKERS, JL FATHOM F113v2 SUBS(2) SOUND ANCHOR STANDS(2) WW PLATINUM CABLES

Library System: GRANDIOSO M1 MONOBLOCK AMPS, C1 LINESTAGE PRE-AMP, K1X CD/SACD PLAYER, G1 MASTER RUBIDIUM CLOCK, E02 PHONO-PRE, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, AERIAL ACOUSTICS 20T V2, AERIAL SW12 SUBS(2), CANTON REF K1’s, VPI HRX TT w/ SDS POWER SUPPLY, ORTOFON CADENZA BLACK CART, KLAUDIO RCM, SHUNYATA DENALI 6000/S v2, SHUNYATA OMEGA QR’s, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Esoteric/Bryston System: ESOTERIC C02-X PRE-AMP, P-02X TRANSPORT, D02-X DAC, G02-X CLOCK, BRYSTON 28B3 CUBED MONOBLOCK AMPS(4), BRYSTON BHA-1 HEADPHONE AMP, SHUNYATA DENALI 6000/S v2(2) EVEREST 8000 POWER CONDITIONER(2) ALTAIRA CG & SG HUBS, AMR-DP777-SE DAC, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, TAD REFERENCE ONE MK2 LOUDSPEAKERS, QUADRASPIRE RACK, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Accuphase/Canton System: ACCUPHASE E800 INTEGRATED, DP570 CD/SACD PLAYER, T1200 FM STEREO TUNER, DG-68 VOICING EQUALIZER, PS530 POWER SUPPLY, CANTON REF K3’s, CANTON REF K5’s, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, HRS MXR REFERENCE MAHOGHANY RACK w/ M3X2 SHELVES, WW GOLD CABLES
Old 09-11-2020, 02:39 AM

Thank you buddy!
Old 09-12-2020, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AudioFi View Post
Hello AA members, it is my first post in the forum.
I recently ordered a MA8900 replacing my Ma252. I loved the sound of the 252 but I decided to change it because of an annoying buzzing sound that persisted no matter what. It was noticeable in low level volume listening.
I checked ground, tubes, power conditioner, EMI, cables and DC on powerlines, etc. It was a costy noise. After a battle I couldn't win I searched in the forums and I am not the first case, looks like some MA252's are experiencing that problem.
Finally my Mc dealer offered me to take the 252 and if I pay the difference for another product I could make a change, suggesting me the MA8900.

Aside of the price, how much of an improvement/difference will the MA8900 represent sonically over the MA252?
And do you think it will mate well with my other components?
Source: Lumin T2
Speakers: Sonus Faber Sonetto III
Turntable: Marantz TT-15s1
Cables:Wireworld Eclipse 8, Electra, Silver E. Interconnects

Thank you.
I listened to a 352 (kind of like a 252 maybe? with more wattage) and a 7200 the other day. While the speakers were not Sonus Faber, the major differences were:

- clarity: the 352 was very nice but when I switched to the 7200 I felt like a very thin veil (not necessarily a bad thing) had been lifted, and the vocals retreated a bit to be closer to the music
- power: with the autoformer the drums felt more substantial and not in a boom-y way

I ended up placing an order for MA8900 because I wanted the autoformer, and also because my cats like to chase each other around the apartment, having exposed tubes (even with the protectors) is not a good idea.
Old 09-12-2020, 10:37 AM

Hi AudioFi,

Kudos for insisting on a fix to the buzzing. Too many people would instead complain for years. And kudos to your dealer for stepping up and doing the right thing, as a good dealer should be expected to do.

Both of these are fine amps, and tastes may vary, but emptystrings impressions are no surprise--the 8900 should be a marked step up to most ears/systems.
Old 09-12-2020, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emptystring View Post
I listened to a 352 (kind of like a 252 maybe? with more wattage) and a 7200 the other day. While the speakers were not Sonus Faber, the major differences were:

- clarity: the 352 was very nice but when I switched to the 7200 I felt like a very thin veil (not necessarily a bad thing) had been lifted, and the vocals retreated a bit to be closer to the music
- power: with the autoformer the drums felt more substantial and not in a boom-y way

I ended up placing an order for MA8900 because I wanted the autoformer, and also because my cats like to chase each other around the apartment, having exposed tubes (even with the protectors) is not a good idea.
Makes a lot of sense... for what I understand, the sound of the 8900 is exactly the same of the 7200 only with the difference of the EQ. About the vocals, I have noted some kind of bloom or emphasis in those frequencies in the 252 as well. Not a bad thing but sometimes when listening to some music mostly 90´s (hard rock, alternative) can sound a little harsh, and in jazz or bossa may be pleasant.
I have heard some Mc´s with autoformers (not the 7200 or the 8900) and I like that smooth presentation with deep bass. The only thing I will miss I guess, Is my NOS tubes (Mullards, and GEs) that I got for the 252 when trying to mitigate the buzz. Those really were a boost for the 252. (but definitely not cat friendly LOL)

Congrats for your MA8900 buddy

Last edited by AudioFi; 09-13-2020 at 12:35 AM.
Old 09-12-2020, 04:45 PM

Hello PeterMusic!

Yeah, that's a good thing about the most of MC dealers, usually they provide good advice and support.
At first I tried to give a chance to the 252 to find if the buzz was induced by and external source. At the end looking back in a positive way, my frustration helped me to improve my system. (better cables, interconnects and Powerline setup) but after that it was evident that the 252 was the cause. It was really handy to find so much info of other owners in this forum to have good arguments to negotiate with the dealer.

just for curiosity, how well does the Yggdrasil perform with the MC sound? I listened it once paired with a Luxman and I really liked it.

Last edited by AudioFi; 09-20-2020 at 02:41 AM.
Old 09-13-2020, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AudioFi View Post
Hello PeterMusic!

Yeah, that's a good thing about the most of MC dealers, usually they provide good advice and support.
At first I tried to give a chance to the 252 to find if the buzz was induced by and external source. A the end looking back in a positive way, my frustration helped me to improve my system. (better cables, interconnects and Powerline setup) but after that it was evident that the 252 was the cause. It was really handy to find so much info of other owners in this forum to have good arguments to negotiate with the dealer.

just for curiosity, how well does the Yggdrasil perform with the MC sound? I listened it once paired with a Luxman and I really liked it.
I love the Yggy with Mc combo. It's very analog/organic.

Glad to hear you paid attention to cables as well. I use Nordost Blue Heaven from my server to Yggy, and Transparent Super (unbalanced) from Yggy to C22. Both made a big difference.
Old 09-20-2020, 02:31 AM

Default Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reynolds617 View Post
Greetings AA forumites! Brand new community member here, and also first time owner of a McIntosh unit, specifically the MA8900.

I have wanted a McIntosh since I was 10 years old after seeing/hearing one my friend's dad owned. Now that dream is a reality.

I'm upgrading from a Rogue Sphinx V2 which was a very nice amp, especially for the money, but the McIntosh is next-level by comparison. This unit will be the centerpiece of my system for many years to come. By way of background, here's what the whole thing looks like besides the 8900:
  • Rega Planar 3 (2017)
  • Hana EH cartridge
  • NAD C 538 CD player
  • KEF LS50 speakers
  • MacBook Air for streaming

I am a huge Sonos fan, but their new replacement for the Connect seems stupidly overpriced for what it is, so I'm content to make do with streaming Spotify et al via the spare laptop. Sounds very good, and that's $500 that can be spent elsewhere.

The next obvious upgrade is the speakers; the LS50's are very nice, but now that I am freed from the constraints of the dreaded spousal approval factor, I'm looking to upgrade to floor standers. This upgrade won't happen for a while since I'll need to save up, but my initial thoughts are:

Dynaudio Contour 60's
Martin Logan Impression ESL 11A's

This is a princely sum for loudspeakers for me ($10k), but sometimes life causes you to adjust your priorities, and in this case, I've decided mine is building the best system I can possibly (not) afford.

When I have enough posts under my belt I'll begin a dedicated thread about best speaker pairings for the MA8900, but for now any initial thoughts are welcome.

Being new I'll look to contribute around here as best as I'm able, but I am the furthest thing from the holder of a degree in audio engineering. I just know how important music is in my life, and I want the best reproduction I can afford, even if it's at the expense of other things people traditionally spend their disposable income on (e.g. cars, vacations, etc.)

Looking forward to getting to know folks on this board; I'm a veteran of online communities, so I know the drill.
Congrats for your MA8900, In two weeks I will receive mine. Don't forget the promised thread of speaker match for the 8900.

your Impressions of this time spent with the 8900?
Old 09-20-2020, 08:54 AM

Modern McIntosh integrated amplifiers with autoformers sound the same, this can be achieved with either solid state or tubes, features may vary.
Old 11-02-2020, 02:15 PM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterMusic View Post
I love the Yggy with Mc combo. It's very analog/organic.

Glad to hear you paid attention to cables as well. I use Nordost Blue Heaven from my server to Yggy, and Transparent Super (unbalanced) from Yggy to C22. Both made a big difference.
A few days ago I just received my MA8900. It sounded quite nice just out of the box, but now after 20 Hours of burn in, I can hear significant differences (bigger soundstage, smooth and effortless sound and bass response)

I have to admit that this Amp is a killer match for my Lumin T2. The Lumin is musical but sometimes tends to lean on the clinical side of sound. The sound now is detailed but smooth paired with the MA8900.
I was kinda worried because all that myth of Macs with autoformers lacking control on bass due to the lower damping factor. At least with my speakers I can notice very good bass control and speed.

Testing the DA1 module via USB, I found a warm sound, very decent but compared to the T2 is just inferior.
Guess I will use it as a sound output for my Mac mini when watching Youtube or streaming TV.

Finally.... about that Horrific humm of the MA252, I can now say that is in the past, The MA8900 is just dead silent when not playing music and there's no interference, buzzing or electrical noise anymore.