AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > The Lounge > General Audio Discussion

General Audio Discussion All other Audio Q & A

Old 03-20-2019, 08:34 PM

Default Rockport Lyra

Sadly, we don't have a Rockport Technologies specific thread in the Manufacturers section, but I was truly wowed by the Rockport/Constellation exhibit at RMAF last October. I ran across this Youtube vid and these Lyra's must be absolutely astounding. I'd love to hear them even though I could never afford the $169,000 price tag they carry.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f-TjOCuFZcU
McIntosh MA8000; McIntosh MC1502; Canton Vento Reference 1 DC; E.A.T. E-Flat; Soundsmith Paua Mk II; Technics SL 1210 MK5; Audio Technica AT-150 MLX; Tascam BR-20; Teac X1000R; Pioneer RT-707; Oppo UDP 205; Denon DCD A-100; HP All-In-One Touchscreen Server; JRiver MC 28; Woo Audio WA6; Shure SRH 1840; SVS SB 1000; Jolida 502BRC; Jolida JD9; VPI 16.5 RCM; Wireworld Oasis 8 Speaker Cables; Audoquest Columbia 72 DBS IC's; Panamax PM-5400 (source components only)
Old 03-20-2019, 08:45 PM

Their more affordable speakers aren't exactly chopped liver either. Wish we had a dealer within a couple of hours, but I'm guessing Andy Payor isn't particularly interested in building unit volumes to support an expanded dealer network.
Old 03-20-2019, 09:55 PM
Go Dawgs

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreddieFerric View Post
Sadly, we don't have a Rockport Technologies specific thread in the Manufacturers section, but I was truly wowed by the Rockport/Constellation exhibit at RMAF last October. I ran across this Youtube vid and these Lyra's must be absolutely astounding. I'd love to hear them even though I could never afford the $169,000 price tag they carry.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f-TjOCuFZcU
Freddie - I was hoping to hear a pair of Lyras there too, the press on them has been stellar. I thought the Constellation room sounded good too, but we were less impressed with the Rockport/CH Precision room upstairs. We asked them to play the MOFI pressing of Keb Mo's debut album on vinyl which we were all familiar and it just didn't sound very good. You would have to think it was the room when considering the price of the equipment but who knows. Marc and I even mentioned the room to a couple of guys from The Absolute Sound and they thought the same as us.....weren't impressed. Anyway, I bet the Lyra's would sound stunning in a nice setup.

- Buck
Library: Speakers: Avalon Acoustics Isis, Subwoofers: (2) REL Acoustics 212SE Amplification: D’agostino Momentum preamplifier, D’agostino S250 stereo amplifier Digital: dCS Rossini CD/SACD transport, dCS Rossini DAC/streamer/master clock. Analog: Brinkmann Taurus table, Lyra Etna Lambda, Audio Research Ref. Phono 3

Last edited by audioguy3107; 03-21-2019 at 06:41 AM.
Old 03-20-2019, 10:19 PM

I’m going to hear them in April powered by Nagra HD at my dealers place. The cabinet is an engineering marvel IMO. I can’t wait!!
Old 03-21-2019, 07:45 AM

AA member “cmarin” owns the Rockport Lyra’s along with the VAC Statement monoblocks. Maybe he will chime in and discuss their performance.

Ken
Old 03-21-2019, 07:54 AM
Life is beautiful

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlanarSpeakerFan View Post
AA member “cmarin” owns the Rockport Lyra’s along with the VAC Statement monoblocks. Maybe he will chime in and discuss their performance.

Ken

Yes, and he comes from Magico Q7 MkII...
Stereo: Hegel H590, Grimm Audio MU1, Mola Mola Tambaqui, Burmester 948 - V3 & V6 racks, Vivid Audio G2 Giyas, REL Carbon Special (pair), Silent Angel Bonn N8 Ethernet Switch & Forester F1, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse IC and SE SC, Furutech Digiflux
AV: Hegel C-53, Marantz AV8802A, Oppo BDP-203EU, Pioneer Kuro 60", Vivid Audio C1 & V1w's, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse, SE & E
Second system (veranda): Halgorythme preamp and monoblocks, Burmester 061, Avalon Avatar, Sharkwire & Wireworld cables
Old 03-21-2019, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioguy3107 View Post
Freddie - I was hoping to hear a pair of Lyras there too, the press on them has been stellar. I thought the Constellation room sounded good too, but we were less impressed with the Rockport/CH Precision room upstairs. We asked them to play the MOFI pressing of Keb Mo's debut album on vinyl which we were all familiar and it just didn't sound very good. You would have to think it was the room when considering the price of the equipment but who knows. Marc and I even mentioned the room to a couple of guys from The Absolute Sound and they thought the same as us.....weren't impressed. Anyway, I bet the Lyra's would sound stunning in a nice setup.

- Buck
It's all about synergy in system integration. Perhaps the Rockport's and CH Precision just don't like each other. When I visited the downstairs room the first time, the exhibitor was playing some Fleetwood Mac tunes that really just sounded like HiFi. He asked me what I wanted to hear and I asked him to play something from The Fairfield Four - Standing in the Safety Zone. Once I cajoled him to pump up the volume, those Rockport's really shined. The exhibitor knew it too. I left very impressed. The next day I happened by and there were about 8 people sitting in there and guess what...He was playing that same song. That put a smile on my face.

Anyway, I'm hoping at least one pair of Lyra's makes it to RMAF this year.
McIntosh MA8000; McIntosh MC1502; Canton Vento Reference 1 DC; E.A.T. E-Flat; Soundsmith Paua Mk II; Technics SL 1210 MK5; Audio Technica AT-150 MLX; Tascam BR-20; Teac X1000R; Pioneer RT-707; Oppo UDP 205; Denon DCD A-100; HP All-In-One Touchscreen Server; JRiver MC 28; Woo Audio WA6; Shure SRH 1840; SVS SB 1000; Jolida 502BRC; Jolida JD9; VPI 16.5 RCM; Wireworld Oasis 8 Speaker Cables; Audoquest Columbia 72 DBS IC's; Panamax PM-5400 (source components only)
Old 03-22-2019, 12:02 PM

Default Rockport Lyra

Hi Ken,

Yes I’ve had a pair of Rockport Lyras since August of last year.

And yes it’s all about synergy in system integration including the room and incoming power.

But let me bore you with a few details of my experience with the Lyras.

First, I’ve had a number of speakers over the years including Magico V3s, Magico M5s, Magico Q7s and the Magico Q7mkIIs.

I’ve also had the opportunity, due to the kind and generous spirit of several dealers and friends, for extended auditions in my room of the Raidho D5.1s and the Aries Cerat Symphonias.

Throughout that journey I’ve had multiple electronics, two different rooms and associated acoustic treatments, different power cords and interconnects, and power conditioners to name a few of the variables.

So it’s hard to compare speakers consistently except during the last year or so when the upstream components (room, power, electronics, power conditioning etc) were the same for the Magico Q7mkIIs, AC Symphonias and the Rockport Lyras:

Kodo The Beat TT with Lyra Atlas Cart and LT Schroder (magnesium) arm; Kalista Dreamplayer Transport; SGM mkII server; TotalDac d1-12 MkII DAC; CH Precision (4 box) mono preamp with power supplies; CH Precision (2 box) stereo phono with power supplies; VAC Statement 450iQ monoblocks; Echole Omnia LE power cords and ICs; and a pair of 512 Engineering/Tim Marutani balanced transformers (one for sources and the other for amps) in a dedicated acoustically designed room.

The Symphonias had an “aliveness” unmatched by the Q7s that created a wonderful musical engagement.

But in the end, the Lyras proved a transformative speaker.

With the Lyras it was no longer an experience related to specific performance indicators such as soundstage size, precision of images, tightness of bass etc., but rather about an immersive musical gestalt. Although the other speakers had that as well, the Lyras had the right brain versus left brain musical experience, which I had been searching for many years, in abundance.

Of course you can never duplicate a live performance in your room. But with the Lyras it was as close as I’ve ever experienced in my room and with the associated equipment.

But I also want to mention that, at least in my case, what probably had the most significant impact to the overall sound of the Lyras, in addition to the balanced transformers, was the expert speaker setup provided by Stirling Trayle.

Although the Lyras sounded great with the initial setup after they were uncreated, it wasn’t until after Stirling’s obsessive setup that the real transformative magic appeared.

So it’s not surprising when you read reports that the Lyras may not sound great in show conditions or even other rooms. Too many variables.

But don’t let that lead you astray. The Lyras are an amazing speaker. And they pair beautifully with the VAC 450 monos.

Andy Payor deserves a lot of credit for his achievement.

Last edited by cmarin; 03-22-2019 at 12:11 PM.
Old 03-22-2019, 01:27 PM

Thanks for that! I've heard a few similar descriptions but hearing is believing in this case. I'll find out soon enough. That is an amazing system you have built, glad you're enjoying it. Music always sounds better when I take my head out of it.

Dave
Old 03-23-2019, 03:13 AM
Life is beautiful

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperDave View Post
Thanks for that! I've heard a few similar descriptions but hearing is believing in this case. I'll find out soon enough. That is an amazing system you have built, glad you're enjoying it. Music always sounds better when I take my head out of it.

Dave

Yes indeed!
Congratulations Carlos, and thank you for your honest description.
Stereo: Hegel H590, Grimm Audio MU1, Mola Mola Tambaqui, Burmester 948 - V3 & V6 racks, Vivid Audio G2 Giyas, REL Carbon Special (pair), Silent Angel Bonn N8 Ethernet Switch & Forester F1, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse IC and SE SC, Furutech Digiflux
AV: Hegel C-53, Marantz AV8802A, Oppo BDP-203EU, Pioneer Kuro 60", Vivid Audio C1 & V1w's, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse, SE & E
Second system (veranda): Halgorythme preamp and monoblocks, Burmester 061, Avalon Avatar, Sharkwire & Wireworld cables