AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > The Lounge > Music

Music What really matters most

Old 01-03-2019, 12:10 PM
Go Dawgs

Thanks, hope we'll get some good information out of these.......one thing that drives me crazy with audio shows and dealer demos is of course you hear the same things over and over and over. Now it makes sense of course to play things that will highlight aspects of your system, I get that, but there are millions of songs out there that may offer some really neat things to hear on your system that may never get a "chance" so to speak. That's one of the fun goals of this is taking material that may not be audiophile grade but finding a gem hidden within an album.

For example, let's say you have a buddy who loves AC/DC that is coming over and you want to play him something. You know that in general most of the material on their albums may sound pretty lousy but you can't remember that one song that actually sounds really cool for whatever reason. This will be a way to have a record of some neat audiophile moments in some records that we may all love but forget since it's not typical demo material. There have been countless times I've tried to remember something I've heard on a certain album but can't remember which song it was etc etc.

- Buck
Library: Speakers: Avalon Acoustics Isis, Subwoofers: (2) REL Acoustics 212SE Amplification: D’agostino Momentum preamplifier, D’agostino S250 stereo amplifier Digital: dCS Rossini CD/SACD transport, dCS Rossini DAC/streamer/master clock. Analog: Brinkmann Taurus table, Lyra Etna Lambda, Audio Research Ref. Phono 3
Old 01-03-2019, 01:36 PM

It sounds to me that it would make listening a chore rather than a relaxing hobby.
Old 01-03-2019, 02:58 PM
Go Dawgs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Still-One View Post
It sounds to me that it would make listening a chore rather than a relaxing hobby.
Not a chore if you enjoy doing it

- Buck
Library: Speakers: Avalon Acoustics Isis, Subwoofers: (2) REL Acoustics 212SE Amplification: D’agostino Momentum preamplifier, D’agostino S250 stereo amplifier Digital: dCS Rossini CD/SACD transport, dCS Rossini DAC/streamer/master clock. Analog: Brinkmann Taurus table, Lyra Etna Lambda, Audio Research Ref. Phono 3
Old 01-04-2019, 12:51 AM
Go Dawgs

New review up, switched gears from the hard rock of AC/DC to Adele's debut album "19"

https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=44788
Old 01-04-2019, 12:57 AM

I love that you are doing this. One day soon I hope I can slow down enough to do one myself.
Old 01-04-2019, 02:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioguy3107 View Post
So I had an idea for our music threads section on A.A........we post a lot of stuff in the "what are you listening to" thread but most of the time there's not a whole lot of information about the album posted, how it sounds, which version, etc. Some time back I did several "audiophile" music reviews which were kind of fun not to mention it was something that made you pay attention to what you were listening to rather than other distractions. Here's an example of one I did on the Allman Brothers Band Brothers and Sisters:

https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=35145

and one I did on REM's Murmur:

https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=34869

I hoped that it would be a fun read not to mention somewhat informative. I think I can take it a step further in the music review section by creating a thread for a particular band/artist and then placing the reviews within the artist thread, that way everything would be organized and easy to find if someone was interested in how a certain album would sound on their system. Second, other members could follow up the review with thoughts on their own, for example if I reviewed the vinyl version of a Beatles album, someone else could post thoughts or even their review of what it sounded like on Tidal, from HD Tracks or the redbook CD.

My original idea was what I was hearing while listening to a record, making some commentary on the merits of a particular recording as it relates to sound quality and "audiophile" stuff that could be useful to forum readers looking for interesting things to notice when they're listening to that said record. One thing that got me thinking about this was always forgetting some of my favorite stuff when I go back and listen to something I haven't heard in awhile. For example, let's say I wanted my wife (if she was even remotely interested ) to hear a spectacular sounding female vocalist whose voice would just knock her out.....I've got so much stuff that I may not remember the particular track I'd love to show off to her or a friend, or a friend of mine who loved a great realistic example of in your face rock n roll drums. This would be a way I could start a reference list for lack of better words of cool, fantastic sounding examples of stuff that really stands out on recordings.

So the title of the thread would be something like, "Van Morrison, the audiophile discography" or something like that. At the end of the review of each of his albums, I'll post my "audiophile" score.

I'm also going to try and go chronologically from oldest title to newest within the artist thread, so the debut albums will be first and so on and so on which may also give context to the recordings and how they sound from earliest to latest. Hopefully this could be a fun resource for some music reviews and give others the opportunity to post their findings if they want. Obviously, some albums will have more interesting things to post than others, so some may by lengthy while others short and sweet. So hopefully this will be fun and informative, if not just tell me to stop and I'll shut up.

I think I'll kick it off tonight in (somewhat alphabetical order) with AC/DCs debut album High Voltage. Check back.

- Buck

Great idea Buck! I’d love you to start with AC/DC - Back in Black!
Old 01-07-2019, 12:56 AM
Go Dawgs

Aerosmith's debut album review in the new Aerosmith thread up:

https://www.audioaficionado.org/show...239#post948239
Old 01-09-2019, 12:25 AM
Go Dawgs

New review up, not sure how much interest there is out there for Aimee Mann of 'Til Tuesday and the Magnolia Soundtrack fame, but she's got some good records, you should check her out. Her debut album "Whatever" starts off the thread......

https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=44828
Old 01-10-2019, 12:08 AM
Go Dawgs

Started the review thread for The Allman Brothers Band with their self titled debut album on Mobile Fidelity vinyl. Not exactly audiophile material but damn Duane's guitar playing:

https://www.audioaficionado.org/show...617#post948617
Old 01-14-2019, 01:04 AM
Go Dawgs

Kicking off the week with a review from the guys who need no introduction......I give you.....the Beatles thread.

https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=44875

Starting with their debut album "Please Please Me" of course.