AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Inspire by Dennis Had

Inspire by Dennis Had Enjoying Vacuum Tube Audio

Old 02-15-2018, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by decooney View Post
I tested a couple of pairs of friends older 90db speakers. Not sensitive enough (IMO) for the little DH 10w amp. They just don't light up, or create the wall of sound like it should with a nice SET amp. I realize sensitivity is not the only factor. I always wanted to try Snell, cannot afford Harbeths. This amp definitely deserves the right speakers. So far, Omega or Zu look good, but still looking for something like Snell or Harbeth...copies. Also, trying to figure out why some recommend Rogers LS 3/5A yet they have lower sensitivity. Has something to do with the impedance as I take it. Also looking at the small brand new JBL studio monitor 3-ways.

QUESTION:
Zu, Omega, what else is a well known "great" match for this cool little DH amp?

I haven’t posted here in a while. I saw Snell speakers mentioned, and though I’d share my experience. I have Snell Type CV (which I love), and IME a 6L6GC PP amp (approx. 30 - 40 wpc) is the minimum needed to deliver satisfying sound for large scale orchestral music in an average size room. IME, an Inspire SEP amp isn’t powerful enough for Snell Type CV.

I like my Klipsch RF-7II (installed in my basement system), and recommend them if you’re looking for a tower form-factor (i.e., relatively narrow) floor-standing speaker. The newer RF-7III is now being shipped. (I’ve not heard the RF-7III, but have read good things – perhaps a slight improvement over RF-7II). If I had to buy new full-range tower speakers today, it would be RF-7III. (100dB sensitivity. 1 ¾” compression driver, two 10” woofers). Don’t be dissuaded if someone tells you the RF-7III is a “home theater” speaker and therefore isn’t suitable for music. I listen to classical music and opera, and with the right tube amp, my RF-7II can deliver natural sound, as well as the dynamics needed for large scale orchestral music and opera. (My reference for sound quality is by virtue of full season tickets to the symphony and opera.)

Depending on which Inspire amp you use, size of your room, type of music, and how loud you listen, a subwoofer (with crossover before the main amp) can be beneficial. The Oppo universal players (e.g., UDP-205, BDP-105, BDP-95) feature "bass management" - i.e., a built-in crossover, and a connection for a powered subwoofer. With Oppo's bass management, the low frequencies are off-loaded from the main amp and speakers, thereby facilitating greater overall dynamics.

My Inspire amp is in my basement system: Front, center, and left speakers are Klipsch RF-7 II. A single rear speaker is a Klipsch RF-7. Subwoofers: SVS SB16-Ultra, Klipsch R-115SW. Source: Oppo UDP-205. Amps: Scott 272 (EL34 PP), Inspire “Fire Bottle” SE Stereo Tube Amplifier HO (6L6GC SEP), Scott 222C (7189 PP), McIntosh MX110Z tuner/preamp, Fisher KX-200 (7591 PP), Scott 296 (6L6GC PP), Pilot SA-260 (EL34 PP), Scott LK150 (KT88 PP). A patch panel allows me to connect the speakers to whichever amps I want, and F/F RCA cables enable me to connect amps to the Oppo. (I can use my MX110Z as a pre-amp if I choose, but it isn’t necessary. The Oppo UDP-205 can directly drive power amps.) I can configure this system as 2.0, 2.2, or 4.2 (surround sound with LCR, single rear, and 2 subwoofers). When I light up my Inspire “Fire Bottle” SE Stereo Tube Amplifier HO, I often use it to drive my center and rear speakers (configured in my Oppo UDP-205 as “small”), and use one of my more powerful PP amps to drive the main speakers, with the two subwoofers (15” and 16”) crossed over at 60Hz. With a top-quality hi-res surround-sound recording (e.g., SACD or Blu-ray), I can achieve an experience that comes close to being in the symphony hall or opera house.

My Inspire “Fire Bottle” SE Stereo Tube Amplifier HO can do an amazing job on its own driving RF-7II in stereo mode – no subwoofer – - no pre-amp - for music that doesn’t have significant dynamic range (e.g., Eva Cassidy or Tony Bennett).

Hope this helps.
Old 02-15-2018, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breakdown7 View Post
Never heard any Snell speakers. Sorry I can't help there. I have Genesis 7.1C monitors. 87db with 4ohm impedance. Do you guys think one of the Inspire PSE amps would drive them properly? I have a feeling the Fire Bottle HO just wouldn’t quite cut it. If I want to get an Inspire amp to match my LP-27a, I think the PSE is about the best option. Just not sure it will be enough. Kind of an expensive experiment and wanted to get others opinions.

I am not familiar with your monitors but I own both an Inspire KT SEP and a PSE. With kt77s Dennis measured 12 & 24 watts respectively as I recall. I would say the most significant difference is the control of the speaker, not the volume. Both go plenty loud in my 10x13 office where they have been swapped from time to time. There they are driving my modified Omega Super 7s reinforced with a pair of Pinnacle Babyboomers. The PSE does have a little more headroom but mostly IMO the difference is control and refinement. I am in an office building and I do not listen at concert levels but I can be heard rockin’ out some afternoons.

I also own an LP3a and lp27a. For more volume the 3a does provide more gain than the 27a. The 27a is a bit sweeter but for rockin’ out the 3a offers a bit more drive.

Ultimately, it is obvious that that all came from the same maker. As well, I plan to keep them all in that I have not heard equipment I like better. Thank you Dennis.
Old 02-16-2018, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by decooney View Post
I tested a couple of pairs of friends older 90db speakers. Not sensitive enough (IMO) for the little DH 10w amp. They just don't light up, or create the wall of sound like it should with a nice SET amp. I realize sensitivity is not the only factor. I always wanted to try Snell, cannot afford Harbeths. This amp definitely deserves the right speakers. So far, Omega or Zu look good, but still looking for something like Snell or Harbeth...copies. Also, trying to figure out why some recommend Rogers LS 3/5A yet they have lower sensitivity. Has something to do with the impedance as I take it. Also looking at the small brand new JBL studio monitor 3-ways.

QUESTION:
Zu, Omega, what else is a well known "great" match for this cool little DH amp?
You will need speakers of 93db or better to get what you want from the amp. Once you get proper speakers you may decide that your higher power amp is no longer needed. Which JBL's are you considering?
Old 02-16-2018, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaBoy View Post
You will need speakers of 93db or better to get what you want from the amp. Once you get proper speakers you may decide that your higher power amp is no longer needed. Which JBL's are you considering?
Yeah, that's kinda what I've been thinking and narrowing down to doing my own limited testing, and reading the same responses on recent and really old treads the past 10+ years here on AA and AK forums.

Next week or the week after a buddy invited me over, to bring the little DH KT150 Hot Rod tube amp to hopefully try on a few different sets of speakers, one set I helped design two years ago but never heard them finished. AND, he has his hands on a NP Firstwatt demo amp, so we'll do a little shootout there too. Good fun
Old 02-16-2018, 11:40 PM

I am running 91dB Von Schweikert tower speakers with my 17wpc Inspire SEP amp. I find this to be an excellent combination about 90% of the time. This is in a 13'x18' room and I don't tend to jack up the volume a lot. Typical average listening levels in the mid to high 70dB range, with peaks going into the 90s.

I find this combo limiting when listening to large scale classical and hard driving rock. When listening to Diana Krall, Bob Dylan, Yo Yo Ma, Norah Jones, Bela Fleck, Johnny Cash, chamber orchestra, acoustic guitar, jazz quartets, and more, this is a beautiful sounding, magic combination, throwing up a soundstage which raises the hairs on my neck. Even doing a good job on deep bass if not pushed too hard.
Old 02-17-2018, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bombadil View Post
I am running 91dB Von Schweikert tower speakers with my 17wpc Inspire SEP amp. I find this to be an excellent combination about 90% of the time. This is in a 13'x18' room and I don't tend to jack up the volume a lot. Typical average listening levels in the mid to high 70dB range, with peaks going into the 90s.

I find this combo limiting when listening to large scale classical and hard driving rock. When listening to Diana Krall, Bob Dylan, Yo Yo Ma, Norah Jones, Bela Fleck, Johnny Cash, chamber orchestra, acoustic guitar, jazz quartets, and more, this is a beautiful sounding, magic combination, throwing up a soundstage which raises the hairs on my neck. Even doing a good job on deep bass if not pushed too hard.
Not to try to spend your money, but as the owner of a 12wpc KT88HO and a PSE, there is a dramatic difference in drive capability. IMO there is no downside other than space and expenses, neither of which as excessive.

A PSE with KT77’s will run about 20 or 24 wpc into almost any impedance. It would work in just about any circumstance a Firstwatt J2 would.
Old 02-18-2018, 03:46 PM

Getting these powder coated High gloss Black.
The amps are PSE's with glo-tubes, imagine these with KT-150's in triode!!!
And the preamp is a prototype with glo-tubes (just for fun)!

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 02-18-2018, 04:35 PM
Retired

Nice!!
Is that a picture from Dennis' workbench or something you are doing?
Canton Reference 9 Clearaudio SM Pro Focal Bathys JLA 10" Dominion Kuzma Stabi S w/MC & MM Magnepan 1,7i McIntosh MA8950 & MR88 Oppo 203 Roon Nucleus Rose Hifi RS150B Shunyata Gemini-4 Sony ST-A6B, TA-F6B, ST-J75 & PS-X75 Sorane SA1.2 & TA-1L Stillpoints LP1v2 WW Pt, Au & Ag
Old 02-18-2018, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formerly YB-2 View Post
Nice!!
Is that a picture from Dennis' workbench or something you are doing?
That is the workbench at my house, I only cut prototype and limited production Inspire units now. We have a metal fabricator for the FireBottle chassis's and the preamp chassis's
Old 02-18-2018, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by straitwire View Post
That is the workbench at my house, I only cut prototype and limited production Inspire units now. We have a metal fabricator for the FireBottle chassis's and the preamp chassis's

I love that more PSEs are being ordered.