AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > The Lounge > Music > Music Reviews

Music Reviews All formats welcome!

Old 04-09-2019, 10:08 AM
Racing Hoopties

Default Dwight Yoakam - Guitars Cadillacs Etc. etc. - The Reprise Album Collection 1986 - 200

I admit it. My name is Craig and I like country music.

Well not all country music especially today’s country/rap/pop hybrid. I like the old stuff.

Perhaps its because it causes me to think about my parents singing to Hank Williams or George Jones on the radio. Country music before the sheen is what I like. Broken trucks, loves and lives. Reborn trucks, loves and lives.

I have been blown away by this huge collection of music from Dwight Yoakam. It comprises 9 of his albums over the 1986 - 2000 time period. I am listening to it via Tidal MQA at 24/96. So far, I have only listened to Discs 1, 2 and 4. They each sound fantastic but Disc 4 is especially great.

The music is all upbeat positive and made with a ‘country calm’ even when the band is rocking.

If you are a country music fan, this is a must listen, must have. If you are a casual CM listener, give it a try and you might love it.

I look forward to listening to all 9 discs of the collection, finding the gems and ‘seeing’ my folks dance around the kitchen. My Dad saying some songs are too much Rock and my Mom chastising him to ‘get with the times’.

IMG_2387.JPG
Main room - Sonus Faber Stradivari, JL Audio F113v2 & CR-1 Crossover, McIntosh MC2301 Amplifiers with Stillpoint Ultra SS feet, McIntosh C1100 on Stillpoint Minis, Esoteric K-03X on Stillpoint Minis, Cybershaft Ultimate 2 OP17 on Stillpoint Minis, SilenZio v.2 Audio by -E- Media Server (running ROON), GigaFoil v4, Keces P3 with Ghent PC, 9 M Supra Cat 8+ and 0.65 M Revelation audio ethernet cables.

Other - 5 Stillpoint Apertures, GIK Bass Traps, Vicoustics Waveguide panels, Shunyata Alpha Clock 75 1.5 meter BNC, Shunyata Alpha 1.5 meter USB, WW Gold Eclipse 7 SCs, WW Silver Electra 7 PCs, WW Silver Eclipse ICs; 3 X 20 Amp Power lines, PS Audio P10 & Dectet, 3 Sound Anchor stands, Powerports and numerous Noise Harvesters. Furutech Flex 50, Cable risers, HRS dampeners

TV Room Audio - Panasonic TC-P60GT50, McIntosh MX-121, MC7106, Revel F52 & C32, B&W LM1, Sonos Connect\W4S Remedy\iFI 9V Power, WW & Kimber cables, PS Audio Dectet

Last edited by crwilli; 04-09-2019 at 07:14 PM.
Old 04-09-2019, 08:08 PM

He is a great country artist, one of my favs! Thanks for sharing. PS Clint Black is coming to our town this late spring in Cody WY.
C500C C500T preamp and a MX150 control center, (3)McIntosh 601 mono block amps, (1)7270 McIntosh amp driving rears in 7.1 (1)Halo A23 amp for side surround, & (1)452 McIntosh amp for main towers part of a bi-amp setup with 601's, Esoteric K-03 JL F212 sub all glued together with mostly all WireWorld & Moon Audio Black Dragon cables.

Headphone Rig
Audeze LCD-X Sennheiser hd 800 & Sennheiser hd 700 cans, Woo Audio WA-6SE with Sophia Princess & matched pair of 6GL7/6EM tubes Black Dragon Cable upgrades on the HD700s!

Streaming Dac Gear
includes K03, high-end custom built Toshiba core i7 16 gigs Wireworld Platinum USB cable, Ipad mini & Itouch driving media center 20 for full remote control anywhere on property and even via web to have music on when I get home Also can remote control MX150 via web too.

Analog Rig
VPI Classic II running with a Dynavector 20X2-H MC Phono Cartridge

Also
For living room and outside rear deck is connected to MX150 with (1)Parasound 5250 amp. Oppo 205 , Sony ES777, (1)PPP, and a DirectStream P15 Power Plant

Speaker system
Builder of custom very high end Dynaudio's 2 Main towers, 1 super tweeter Dynaudio built system above each tower, 4 surrounds all Dynaudio Esoteric drivers 6.5 mids, esoteric dome tweeters, 2 rear surrounds, and a custom 5 speaker 2 7" drivers, 2 3" domes, and a d21 tweeter in the center channel to compliment my 2 300lb custom subs and a JL F212

Misc Build Features
AC Power Electrical overview is 4 20 amp 120 circuits all 10-3 wiring extra shielding with walls custom modded with cross bracing 2x6s over a 14" thick concrete with R19 and weather barrier
Old 04-09-2019, 08:44 PM

I am also a fan of Mr. Yoakam's body of work.

My favorite is "Two Doors Down".
Garage-Shop|Yamaha|JBL|Sony
Studio|Yamaha|NHT
Old 04-09-2019, 09:21 PM

Craig,

I, like you, am a fan of good country music and have been a long time fan of Dwight. I saw him in the 90s in DC and was hooked. He is a true connoisseur of the country arts, including starting the Bakersfield station on Sirius XM. I saw him again last summer with Steve Earle and Lucinda Williams, although he was my least favorite of those three on that night (but still great). He’s also an actor, having starred in Slingblade, among other films.

I just love his homage back to the greats and the stripped down Bakersfield sound. Guitars and cadillacs is one of my all time favorites.

There’s lots of great new country music out there though, but you just don’t hear it on the radio. Try Sturgill Simpson, Margo price, Chris Stapleton, Lucinda Williams (not that new), Sarah jarosz, Brandy Clarke and many many others.

Better yet, stop by in Atlanta when I get the new room built and we’ll have a big time listening to this stuff.

Amplification > Accuphase A200 (2) / C3800 / C37
Sources > PS Audio DirectStream DAC > DirectStream Memory Player > Silenzio by -E- (via Roon/NAS) > Magnum-Dynalab > MD-108T SE / MD-205 > ClearAudio / Innovation / Universal > Lyra / Kleos
Speakers/Cables > TAD R-1 MKII > Verastarr Grand Illusion Statement Copper (1), Gold (1) // REL 212 SEs (2x)
Power > Accuphase PS 1230 (2) / 3 dedicated lines with PowerPorts
Foundation > Rix Rax > Hoodoo / Amp Stands > Stillpoints under as much as my bank account can then accommodate
IC/PC > Power // Verastarr Grand Illusion Statement HC, Grand Illusion Statement > ICs // Verastarr Grand Illusion Signature XLR > Digital // Verastarr Nemesis USB
Other > Audio Desk Systeme Vinyl Cleaner Pro

Rental (while the room is being built): Accuphase E650 replaces the C3800 and A200s. All of the other stuff above that's usable, except the turntable stuff. Using TAD CR-1s, rather than the R-1s.

Portables and Cans:

Cans > Sennheiser 800
IEMs > Westone W50, Bose QC20
Amplification > Auralic Taurus
Sources > Auralic Altair, Onkyo DP-X1
IC/SC/PC > Sennheiser Balanced / AQ Yukon XLRs / Shunyata Venom 3 (2) / Black Dragon Balanced

Kitchen:

KEF LS50 Wireless
Wyred4Sound Modded Sonos Connect
Old 04-09-2019, 10:39 PM
♫ Now playing... ♫

Quote:
Originally Posted by crwilli View Post
I admit it. My name is Craig and I like country music.
Craig,
Classic.

I live in Tennessee so country music is just a part of everyday life. Country music concerts are some of the very best concerts I've attended. Wickedly good sound, friendly, down to earth people having a good time and lyrics that reminds you everything is going to be okay. Yep, I like it too.

Dwight Yoakam has put out some great music over the years. Thanks for sharing your affliction - I'll find this set and give it a listen with you.
McIntosh C2300, MC601 (2), MCD1100, MR88, MPC1500, MCLK12. Tannoy Canterbury GR, Tannoy GR SuperTweeter. REL Acoustics 212/SE (2). APC S15 (2). Sonos Connect. Duelund. Wireworld. Transparent. Shunyata. Synology. ASC. GIK Acoustics.
HT: McIntosh. Tannoy. REL. Oppo.
Old 04-10-2019, 07:07 AM
Racing Hoopties

Default Dwight Yoakam - Guitars Cadillacs Etc. etc. - The Reprise Album Collection 1986 - 200

I listened to all discs in this set yesterday and played golf. It was a busy day. While the sound quality was great for them all, I preferred the music on discs 1 - 5 more than the last 4. Disc 4, the remastered version of his “If There Was A Way” album put me in the audience at a honky tonk in rural Appalachia. It is like comfort food.

From Wikipedia

Dwight David Yoakam (born October 23, 1956) is an American singer-songwriter, musician and actor, known for his pioneering style of country music. First becoming popular in the mid-1980s, Yoakam has recorded more than twenty albums and compilations, charted more than thirty singles on the Billboard Hot Country Songs charts, and sold more than 25 million records. He has recorded five Billboard #1 albums, twelve gold albums, and nine platinum albums, including the triple-platinum “This Time”.
Main room - Sonus Faber Stradivari, JL Audio F113v2 & CR-1 Crossover, McIntosh MC2301 Amplifiers with Stillpoint Ultra SS feet, McIntosh C1100 on Stillpoint Minis, Esoteric K-03X on Stillpoint Minis, Cybershaft Ultimate 2 OP17 on Stillpoint Minis, SilenZio v.2 Audio by -E- Media Server (running ROON), GigaFoil v4, Keces P3 with Ghent PC, 9 M Supra Cat 8+ and 0.65 M Revelation audio ethernet cables.

Other - 5 Stillpoint Apertures, GIK Bass Traps, Vicoustics Waveguide panels, Shunyata Alpha Clock 75 1.5 meter BNC, Shunyata Alpha 1.5 meter USB, WW Gold Eclipse 7 SCs, WW Silver Electra 7 PCs, WW Silver Eclipse ICs; 3 X 20 Amp Power lines, PS Audio P10 & Dectet, 3 Sound Anchor stands, Powerports and numerous Noise Harvesters. Furutech Flex 50, Cable risers, HRS dampeners

TV Room Audio - Panasonic TC-P60GT50, McIntosh MX-121, MC7106, Revel F52 & C32, B&W LM1, Sonos Connect\W4S Remedy\iFI 9V Power, WW & Kimber cables, PS Audio Dectet

Last edited by crwilli; 04-10-2019 at 07:10 AM.