AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Audio & Video > Home Theater

Home Theater Novice to Sublime

Old 08-30-2018, 12:46 PM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by thughes View Post
Thanks for the advice. If I go the route of the new system, I don't think I would have an issue with heating and cooling the HT. Another complicating factor is that we have space for another room behind the HT, and both the mini-split estimate and the new Heat/AC estimate accounted for that room which we are not now certain we will create.
Terry,

Terry

Mitsubishi New 16-Seer, 24,000 BTU Split-Unit ... for Heating/Cooling & Humidity control of Home Theater
Marantz Pre-Amp Processor: ... AV8805
Panasonic DP-UB9000 New ... HDR 4K UHD Blu-ray Player:
Roku: New ... 2022 Ultra HD-4K-HDR-Atmos Streaming Player
JVC RS4100 New ... Laser Projector
Lumagen Radiance Pro New ... 4242 18G Ultra HD Video Processor
Stewart Filmscreen: New ... Stewart StudioTek 130 G4 123" 16x9 W/4-Way Remote Masking
JML Speakers ... 2-JM Lab Utopia Mezzo Front, 2-Side Utopia, 2-Rear Mini Utopia
Focal Sopra ... Center Channel
Triad Atmos New ... 6 Triad Custom Repeat Gold 8 Mini Monitor Plus in-ceiling speakers W/Matching Flat Black Grills
SVS PB16-Ultra Subwoofers New ... 4 PB-16 ULTRA Subs
Transparent Speaker Cables ... Transparent TW Plus HP 10-2 W/Plus Bricks
Classe' Amps ... 2-CA201, 1-CAM-350, 2-CA-M400
ATI AT526NC New ... ATI AT526NC 6 Channel Amp for
6 Triad Atmos in-ceiling speakers
A/C Power New ... All Separate 20-Amp Circuits W/Dedicated Hospital Grade Receptacles
Richard Gray Power Conditioners New ...
1- RGPC-1200S, 9-RGPC-400S
Panamax MB1500 ... 2023 New 1500VA UPS Battery Backup for JVC RS4100 laser projector
Eaton ... Ultimate Home Surge Protection
CRITEC TDX100M New ... Modular Series Home Transient Voltage Surge Suppressor
HT Components/Gear Cooling ... 3-sets of Z-Fans, Cool-Stack I, Suncourt Variable Speed Thru Wall Fan
ATM ... Active Thermal Management Cool Stack 1 Exhaust Fan Assembly
Home Theater Component Mid Atlantic Rack ... Slide-Out 50" Track
Sanus CFR1620 ... Modular open-frame component rack with Middle Atlantic 4-Post H/D Shelves
Room Acoustic ... Acoustic Innovations panels
Seating ... Ekornes Stressless Wave
Rosco Velour Black 6003 ... 2-coats of Black primer.
Then 2-coats of Full-Strength Rosco #6003 UN-Diluted to complete Dedicated Home Theater
Area Shag Rug New ... Liliah Deep Black Low-Shag by Andover Mills 12' x 15' Rectangle Area-Rug
Custom Calibrated H/T New ... Chad Billheimer on September 4th 2023 did my JVC RS4100.
The results were 100% Totally Awesome I Highly recommend his services. https://www.hdtvbychadb.com/home-1.html
Old 08-31-2018, 03:00 PM

Estimate on relocating components has arrived ...

Latest,

Charles the owner of, Wolf Hill Technologies came to the house yesterday afternoon.
I have not seen him since way back in 2012 when they did the last major changes to the HT.
It was really nice to get to see what I consider a buddy more so than just a guy selling me.
We took our time and went over everything to be done and actually altered some of the 1st plans as we did some measuring.

What we did do as a Team
Was to fire-up the system and while Charles read the Runco operators manual I operated the Remote the hands-on more important part.
The reason we did this was 2-fold really ………..

(1) To find out just how Low the Runco could drop the picture from it's current position.
.... Well it turns out the Runco can only move the picture/image like 2 1/4 inches from it's current position.
.... That being the case the screen will definitely not be moved/lowered this time around.
.... If you recall for us to be looking at the Center-of-the-Screen it needs to Drop like 16-17 inches.
.... We looked up the Specifications on the JVC RS4500 and it can move the image 100% so based on my screen size we can drop the screen exactly where it needs to be.
(2) We also had Charles listen to the system for BASS content on watching the opening of the Blu-ray Super 8 movie where all the train wreck takes place.
.... As it turns out he thought the Bass sounds Awesome so the rear two (2) Mirage BPS400 subs will stay right where they are.
.... As the pictures showed the Front two (2) Mirage BPS 400 subs will be relocated to the left and right.

We also decided that the Left Front Mirage BPS 400 Sub will be relocated to match the right side.
In doing that it is then necessary to Switch the Front Classe' Amps with the JML speakers beside them.
That will be placing the JML speakers next to the Stewart Gray Hawk screen on it's Left & Right.
Moving the Classe' Amps to where the JML Front speakers are now located.
In doing this the Left Mirage BPS 400 Sub will (Not) then be Firing Directly at the Left-Front JML speaker.

I also got the name of the painter that Charles uses to do the Drywall & Painting when they do the Home Theaters.
So I now have that contact to get the HT completely painted in Non-Glare, Flat Black plus getting the Drywall repaired from moving things around.

Looks like I will be looking at a few weeks out for Jason (Lead Technician) and his Assistant to do the work.

This is Charles & Jason below back in 2012.
Jason on the Left & Charles on Right.

Here is Charles as of yesterday with his glasses on.

Picture below of the Latest Changes coming in a few weeks.

Terry

Mitsubishi New 16-Seer, 24,000 BTU Split-Unit ... for Heating/Cooling & Humidity control of Home Theater
Stewart Filmscreen: New ... Stewart StudioTek 130 G4 123" 16x9 W/4-Way Remote Masking
Triad Atmos New ... 6 Triad Custom Repeat Gold 8 Mini Monitor Plus in-ceiling speakers W/Matching Flat Black Grills
A/C Power New ... All Separate 20-Amp Circuits W/Dedicated Hospital Grade Receptacles
Panamax MB1500 ... 2023 New 1500VA UPS Battery Backup for JVC RS4100 laser projector
HT Components/Gear Cooling ... 3-sets of Z-Fans, Cool-Stack I, Suncourt Variable Speed Thru Wall Fan
Sanus CFR1620 ... Modular open-frame component rack with Middle Atlantic 4-Post H/D Shelves
Then 2-coats of Full-Strength Rosco #6003 UN-Diluted to complete Dedicated Home Theater
Area Shag Rug New ... Liliah Deep Black Low-Shag by Andover Mills 12' x 15' Rectangle Area-Rug
Custom Calibrated H/T New ... Chad Billheimer on September 4th 2023 did my JVC RS4100.
The results were 100% Totally Awesome I Highly recommend his services. https://www.hdtvbychadb.com/home-1.html

Last edited by tigerhonaker; 08-31-2018 at 03:04 PM.
Old 09-21-2018, 04:02 PM

Surprise-Surprise to me and my wife the New JVC RS 4500 is coming ...
Up-Date,

I have waited to up-date this Thread for a few reasons.

(1) To make sure everything was totally confirmed with Mike at AVS on the purchase of the JVC RS4500 New (Demo).
That is now a totally completed deal and the unit is leaving AVS Home-Office in Rochester, New York today.
I will then receive the (Tracking) information.

(2) I wanted to get with the Owner of Wolf Hill Technologies (Charles) to Up-Date what he had previously quoted me on work.
I have now gotten his Revised Work-Order for cost except the JML Utopia, Center-Channel-Speaker being lowered.
That he cannot quote me a cost as that Stand will be Removed and taken to the Custom Cabinet Shop they use to Modify it.

I and my wife of now 35 years (Anniversary was on the 12th of this month) are Super THRILLED about this latest purchase.
Telling it like it is I have been talking on & off with her about this RS4500 projector for over a year now and once Mike Garrett contacted me this last time I knew right then I was in.
Just had to run the idea by Charles at Wolf Hill Technologies to make sure the two of us were A-OK with his guy (Jason) doing the install.
(Charles was 100% in on Jason doing the install)
Also since I am Married I sat down with Cathy (Wife) and explained in Great-Detail exactly what this was all about.
She was totally in and actually is Super Excited about this now going to take place.
(She has been concerned about the Runco going down and No-Way to repair it)
Especially since I also explained to her to pay for all the Home Theater changes that was definitely going to have to come from the Checking Account.
She did not even remotely waver and in-fact was still Excited and said once I hear back from Charles to get with Mike Garrett at AVS Sales and Confirm.

So, all this really changes for us is we will now be waiting for me to save the monies for the New Pre-Amp Processor, 4-K DVD Player, 4-Ceiling Atmos Speakers, Atmos 4-Channel Amp, wiring, and of course install.
Our mutual thinking was that the way our system currently sounds it is not really going to be a Big-Deal to wait.
Not like we have some poor excuse of an Audio System.
Plus, Craig on AVS has repeatedly stated that some Blu-ray movies look almost if not better than some 4K movies with the Up-Scaling of the RS4500.
So, all my monthly retirement monies will go into a Special Savings Account for Home Theater Gear/Components.

See pictures below guys that I have taken and the ones provided to me from Vendors.

Below pictures Charles and I did some measuring to confirm the RS4500 would easily fit in same location as current Runco.
In-Fact as it turns out there is very little difference in the two sizes of these projectors.
RS4500 is heavier but the Runco I had before this current one was also a heavier unit so No-Worries.

Next pictures were for looking at the Stand the JML Center Channel is Mounted on.
As I said above that stand will be Removed and taken to the Custom-Cabinet-Shop to be Cut/Shortened.
That's necessary guys so the Stewart Gray Hawk screen can be lowered 16-17 inches from it's current position.
Then we will be looking at the Center of the Screen and that is going to be KILLER without leaning back in the Love-Seat.

Sales Invoice from AVS Sales, Mike Garrett

Monies sent Next-Day-Air to AVS home office in Rochester, NY.

And below is the really-really Super Fun pictures guys.
All (Firmware) up-dates completed.
Also the actual (Demo) hours on the New JVC RS4500 (Hand-Picked) by JVC for Demo Use at the Home Office of AVS Sales in Rochester, NY.

As per my Request to Mike Garrett I wanted in writing the unit would be shipped on a Pallet for Extra-Protection.
Honestly I probably didn't really even need to do that Request because Mike is definitely on Top of his game but the Anal sort of guy I am I did.

What I didn't even want to take a chance on was it getting just maybe shipped ONLY in a Box like below.
Had one of my New Runco projectors come boxed like that and guess what ???
(Damaged and had to be Replaced)

Lastly something Charles and I both agreed on since I had the Samsung HVAC Split-Unit (Air-Carrier) relocated in the Home Theater.
I have an abundance of Cold-Air now where the RS4500 will go and also where all my A/V Components are located.
So we are going to install a Variable-Speed, Super-Quiet-Fan to pull Cold-Air into that Component Area.

Suncourt TW208P Thru Wall Fan Hardwired Variable Speed

https://www.amazon.com/Suncourt-TW20.../dp/B000JGSMUK

You Tube

That's it for now guys until the JVC RS4500 arrives here at the house.
Then I was instructed by Charles to have it sat Carefully on one side of the garage floor and call him.
He is going to have his Technicians come by and Un-Box it and take it up to the Home Theater until they have time to install it.
Charles just contacted me and will get back to me next week on when Jason (Lead Technician & Assistant) will do the changes.

Terry

Old 09-21-2018, 05:28 PM

You will love the JVC projector. Congratulations and enjoy in good health!!!
PS. She kept YOU 35 years? [emoji12][emoji122][emoji122]☝️
Old 09-21-2018, 09:20 PM

Terry, congrats on your new JVC projector. I know you will love it. I purchased a 4k JVC 400 a couple of years ago from Mike at AVS. It's picture is better than I thought it would be. I just received an Oppo 205 and now I can actually use the 4k on the JVC which is great and upscaling BlyRay looks better also. Your JVC 450 should be even better.

Harbeth 40.3 XD, Sound Anchor stands w/ Stillpoints, Luxman M900 & C900, Aurender N20, Jay's Audio CDT3 - MK3 CD player, Mola Mola Tambaqui DAC, Shunyata Denali 6000/s V2, Altaira
Old 09-22-2018, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicoff View Post
You will love the JVC projector. Congratulations and enjoy in good health!!!
PS. She kept YOU 35 years? [emoji12][emoji122][emoji122]☝️
Thank-You kind Sir we are both looking forward to seeing this Bad-Boy in Action.

Yes, on the 12th of this month was our 35th and she is keeping me and this is what she told one of her Co-workers.
(It took me a lot of years to get him (Trained) so I'm keeping him after all that trouble)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PMCH View Post
Terry, congrats on your new JVC projector. I know you will love it.

I purchased a 4k JVC 400 a couple of years ago from Mike at AVS.

It's picture is better than I thought it would be. I just received an Oppo 205 and now I can actually use the 4k on the JVC which is great and upscaling BlyRay looks better also. Your JVC 450 should be even better.

I have read every Review on it and also read every Thread over on AVS that actual owners have Posted.
It is suppose to be a Top-of-the-Line Machine.

Well it truly is a small world sometimes so you also have done business with Mike.
As it turns out I only live like 90-minutes from him so I think I'm either going to drive up to see him in person.
Or I'm trying my best to just maybe get him to drive down to Franklin, TN. and see me plus while he's visiting check out the Calibrations on the RS4500.
I'm even willing to throw in some Cheese Crystals W/Fries and Soft Drink of his Choice.

Mike is a good guy and does exactly what he says he will do and as a Bonus he Exceeds one's Expectations !!!

Terry

Old 09-25-2018, 02:36 PM

Post Man talk about fast !!!

Guys,

Just now confirmed delivery of my JVC RS4500 Laser Projector.

Quote:
R+L Carriers Delivery Appointment Setup

Quote:
R+L Carriers has secured your merchandise and we are in the process of transporting it for delivery.
R+L Pro #: I297620262
Shipper: AV SCIENCE
Customer: TERRY HONAKER

1 Pc(s) Weight: 130 LBS
Frt Desc: 1 - JVC RS4500 DEMO UNIT
To expedite the process, we would like to set up an appointment date for delivery.
- Call our NASHVILLE, TN facility at 615-255-8293 -
Utilize Reference Pro-number I297620262
Below are the available days/time we can deliver your merchandise.
Wednesday 9/26/2018 between 11:00 AM-5:00 PM
Our Customer Service will work with you to coordinate a convenient window time for delivery.
Thank you very much.
R+L Carriers

Terry

Old 09-25-2018, 03:24 PM

way nice Terry, congrats! really coming along... I would never go out to a show again.
Old 09-25-2018, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djwhog View Post
way nice Terry, congrats! really coming along... I would never go out to a show again.

Well your right it is highly doubtful we will be ever paying at a Theater to watch a movie.
I'm not sure when the actual installation is going to take place.
I think that might be decided this week though.
Then things will once again be moving in a forward motion.
After they complete their up-dates and install the JVC RS4500 Laser projector.
Then I have some contacts to get in touch with about repairing the drywall and of course then turning the room into a Flat Black interior.
Can't really do any of that until Jason (Technician) and his assistant do their thing.

I also am thinking/considering having Black carpet laid in the front portion of the HT from where we sit to the Screen area.

If I do all that it should be a really Super-Dark-HT at that point.

Terry

Old 09-26-2018, 04:15 PM

The New Changes started this morning ...

Hello,

Guys as the title states the actual New Changes started this morning.

Jason the main technician for Wolf Hill Technologies came by real early this morning to get things started.
He removed the Stand completely from the JML Center Channel Speaker.
It will now go to the Custom Cabinet Shop to be Cut to the Lowest it can go.
Then the screen will be lowered down to the top of it.
It will be backed-up against the Black Velcro on the bottom of the screen.

Below are those pictures.

We placed a Black Towel Folded so it would be Tilted up some for the weekend.

Totally wrapped-up for protection while being transported.
(And of course it was pouring rain as it has been here for days)

And next came R&L Carriers with the JVC RS4500 Laser Projector.
(Thank goodness he arrived in between the Rain)
The driver was Super Friendly and didn't mind at all me having him pause for the pictures.

As you can see below there is Zero Marks/Dents/Gouges or any Damage at all.

Last thing that took place this morning.
I placed the call to the painting contractor and they sent their guy to look to see what the project entailed.
He was a really nice guy and been in the business for like 12 years.
We went over everything that needed to be done and then discussed what his recommendations were.
I agreed with him that the correct way to do the Home Theater was to completely Repaint it all with at least two coats of Flat-Black.
I now will get a call from the owner on cost of work.

Terry

Last edited by tigerhonaker; 09-26-2018 at 04:35 PM.