AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > AudioAficionado News > Events & Demos

Events & Demos Manufacturer & Dealer Sponsored Events

Old 03-21-2016, 04:32 PM
Life is beautiful

Impeccably built:

I stayed quite a while in this room.
Heard different pieces and styles.
I moved around a bit until I found the sweet spot.
Unlike expected from a Uni-Q driver, you have to consider that the sweet spot is really small.
Stevie Ray Vaughan sounded good, as long as I didn't move my head too much.
Bass extension was very decent for a stand mounter.
Compared to the Ref 3, the enclosure was even playing more along with the music, which was a bit disturbing for me.

Stereo: Hegel H590, Grimm Audio MU1, Mola Mola Tambaqui, Burmester 948 - V3 & V6 racks, Vivid Audio G2 Giyas, REL Carbon Special (pair), Silent Angel Bonn N8 Ethernet Switch & Forester F1, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse IC and SE SC, Furutech Digiflux
AV: Hegel C-53, Marantz AV8802A, Oppo BDP-203EU, Pioneer Kuro 60", Vivid Audio C1 & V1w's, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse, SE & E
Second system (veranda): Halgorythme preamp and monoblocks, Burmester 061, Avalon Avatar, Sharkwire & Wireworld cables

Last edited by bart; 10-14-2016 at 02:38 PM.
Old 03-21-2016, 04:43 PM
Life is beautiful

Now to the last room.
Some personal audio underway.

Has somebody heard this?
If I understand well, it doesn't need batteries.

Stereo: Hegel H590, Grimm Audio MU1, Mola Mola Tambaqui, Burmester 948 - V3 & V6 racks, Vivid Audio G2 Giyas, REL Carbon Special (pair), Silent Angel Bonn N8 Ethernet Switch & Forester F1, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse IC and SE SC, Furutech Digiflux
AV: Hegel C-53, Marantz AV8802A, Oppo BDP-203EU, Pioneer Kuro 60", Vivid Audio C1 & V1w's, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse, SE & E
Second system (veranda): Halgorythme preamp and monoblocks, Burmester 061, Avalon Avatar, Sharkwire & Wireworld cables
Old 03-21-2016, 04:45 PM
Life is beautiful

The new Naim:

Old 03-21-2016, 04:50 PM
Life is beautiful

The last room, the Tintin Room, seen through the door:

A very well treated room.

Musical Fidelity amplification, the KEF Reference 5 and... Meta.
The highest end possible.

Sources: a Naim streamer/DAC with separate power supply, and the T+A HV series SACD player.

Old 03-21-2016, 04:55 PM
Life is beautiful

As said before, the Ref 5 has the 4 same 6.5" woofers as the Blade 2.
The Uni-Q driver is only slightly different.

Old 03-21-2016, 05:00 PM
Life is beautiful

Once again, one can only stand in admiration for the outstanding quality of manufacturing.

First, we heard a couple of tracks from the Naim.

Old 03-21-2016, 05:11 PM
Life is beautiful

A lot of detail, clarity, and... hifi-ness.
Like the other times I heard Naim DACs, the sound was too bright for my taste.
It's like the music becomes a bit edgy.
I'm sure a lot of audiophiles will like this but I really prefer it a bit more rounded.
I asked for some tunes via the T+A, a source I know quite well by now.

Chris, Sammy's colleague played this SACD for me:

The tune 'Fever' from the splendid Analogue Productions remaster sounded like it has to: detailed, deep, huge soundstage, and... not edgy.
There will be no Naim in my house in the near future.
A T+A?
Much more probable.
Old 03-21-2016, 05:19 PM
Life is beautiful

Thanks to a very good room, this system sounded, with the T+A, good, to very good.
Some of the listeners preferred it even to the Blade 2s.
I didn't.
Although even more discrete than with the Ref 3s, the sound was still a (very) little bit boxy.
And the Blade sounded more musical overall to me.

Power amp: 2x50W in Class A:

Pre: with tubes.

Old 03-21-2016, 05:23 PM
Life is beautiful

Elsewhere in the room: some very fine, but unemployed gear:

But the star of the show was KEF!

Old 03-21-2016, 05:28 PM
Life is beautiful

There was another team shooting.

Again: I think Ivan has to make a Blu-ray about hiding cables.

Although, for a show, that could be overkill, and Meta would have less objects for her photographs.