AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Krell

Krell Leader in Audio Engineering

Old 01-04-2014, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdandy View Post
Mikeoz.......No, enit is a valued member here.
Thanks Dan. :-)

Nice to know. Hahaha

Sent from my iPhone using A.Aficionado
Old 01-04-2014, 07:41 AM

Thank goodness they've decided to bring manufacturing back to the USA tho.

Looking at the pictures, they certainly undertook the China-made models that resemble Emotiva chassis- i met someone that was familiar with that matter, instead of the silver, rounded corner designs. I wonder if a hint of black was decided that it was desired. Maybe a hint of the ML influence?

I would rather Krell design something else beautiful to look at, and give the bigger boys fiercer competition than going with what works conservatively, after all, the once great brand is still a well respected one, and if they are looking to re-brand or reposition, something exciting must be due, to turn the tide.

This design is not definitively Krell, though it's one of a kind. Doesn't look great in my opinion. Looks alright. For the price? Maybe not.

Definitive Look: I look at McIntosh for that elegant appeal, one look classic, love at first sight.

Amps that look good: Theta Digital (although so slow at launching new gear) and new ML has got good, definitive looks. MBL will have their audience. The Krell silver chassis was quite the influencer, looking at some manufacturers today. Emotiva has a new look for the reference range.
Constellation, Vitus Audio, Dcs, audioresearch, wadia, Devialet, the list goes on. One look, and you what they are!

Amps that look just ok: ATI, rack mounted ADA. Denon & Marantz, even though they are of a different league of amplifier builds.

Sound wise, most will say its subjective, so that reduces their appeal even further. But if it's a "universally good sounding" amp, detailed, transparent, full bodied, enveloping, with most speakers, at least respect will still be maintained, and maybe some conversion will take place.

I worry for Krell, I imagine a lot is put in to revive the brand, and value, with this launch of many products; it might just be a make or break for the company. A quarter of followers probably went with Dan when he left Krell.

Next, what do you pair them with that is representative of the amps? Krell speakers?

I reckon lots of marketing will be done, and we will see Krell more in magazines, online banners, etc, for the next year.

Just FYI, I'm in a position where I am hoping Krell to do well: Grew up in a time where people were talking mainly on three brands: mark Levinson, McIntosh, and Krell. We've obviously seen Krell gone quiet the last couple of years... Mark Levinson has been labelled by a slightly advanced, rebadged Crown, which some swear by this. Blasphemy or not, I've not investigated. Possible? Why not- both under Harman, and three times I've heard from industry professionals, of course in the time where Mr Levinson was in the company, there was much marketing fluff that some people have shared and uncovered over the years... McIntosh went under D&M for a while, but came out better than before. Some mentioned that McIntosh MX121 was a rebadged denon, but once you pop the cap, it looks entirely different inside, and much more sophisticated, it of course also sounded different.

I just hope the good guys at Krell know what they are doing, after the drastic change in identity.

Time will tell. Time will tell.

Cheers!

Enit.

Old 01-04-2014, 11:04 AM
AA Founder, Legend AV Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by enit View Post
Thanks Dan. :-)

Nice to know. Hahaha

MX136, MC1.2KW(10) MC2KW(2), MCD1100, MS750(2) MVP881, C1000C/P/T, MPC1500, HT-2 SUBS(2) HT3F(2) WS350(2) XRT2K, XCS2K, XR27(2) XCS350(2) JL GOTHAM v2 SUBS(2) SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, LUMAGEN RADIANCE SCALER, SONY VPH-G90U 4K PROJECTOR, STEWART 120" MOTORIZED SCREEN, CINEMA-TECH SEATING, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Reference System: ACCUPHASE A300 AMPS, C3900 PRE-AMP, DP1000 CD/SACD TRANSPORT, DC1000 DIGITAL PROCESSOR, DG-68 DIGITAL EQUALIZER, T1200 FM STEREO TUNER, PS1230 POWER SUPPLY, HRS-SXR CUSTOM RACK w/ M3X SHELVES, TAD REFERENCE ONE MK2 LOUDSPEAKERS, WW PLATINUM CABLES
CAPE COD

MX150, MC501(2) MC1.2KW(10) MC2301(2) MR88, MVP881, MCD1100, MDA1000, C1000C/P/T, MPC1500, ESOTERIC K-01X 30th ANNIVERSARY (BLACK) SACD/CD PLAYER, G02-X CLOCK, HT3F(2) XRT2K, XCS2K, XR27(2) JL GOTHAM v2 SUBS(2) JL FATHOM F113v2 SUBS(4) SOUND ANCHOR STANDS(2) KALEIDESCAPE STRATO & TERRA SERVERS 80-TB, LUMAGEN RADIANCE SCALER, SONY VPH-G90U 4K PROJECTOR, STEWART 120" SCREEN, SONUS FABER STRADIVARI, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, FORTRESS SEATING, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Analog Rig: CLEARAUDIO INNOVATION WOOD, UNIVERSAL ARM w/ Da VINCI' CART, 2nd UNIVERSAL ARM w/ GOLDFINGER STATEMENT CART, HRS-MXR REFERENCE RACK-GLOSS BLACK w/ M3X SHELVES, AESTHETIX RHEA SIG PHONO-PRE, BRYSTON BHA-1 HEADPHONE AMP, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Reference System: BURMESTER 911MK3 AMP(3), 088 PRE-AMP, 089 CD PLAYER, 100 PHONO PRE-AMP, 948 POWER CONDITIONER, ACCUPHASE DG-68 VOICING EQUALIZER, AVID ACUTUS REFERENCE SP TT, GRAHAM PHANTOM II SUPREME ARM, BENZ MICRO LP-S CART, GRANDIOSO P1X/D1X STACK, G1X RUBIDIUM MASTER CLOCK, N05 NETWORK PLAYER, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, HRS-SXR CUSTOM RACK w/ M3X SHELVES, SONUS FABER AIDA SPEAKERS, JL FATHOM F113v2 SUBS(2) SOUND ANCHOR STANDS(2) WW PLATINUM CABLES

Library System: GRANDIOSO M1 MONOBLOCK AMPS, C1 LINESTAGE PRE-AMP, K1X CD/SACD PLAYER, G1 MASTER RUBIDIUM CLOCK, E02 PHONO-PRE, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, AERIAL ACOUSTICS 20T V2, AERIAL SW12 SUBS(2), CANTON REF K1’s, VPI HRX TT w/ SDS POWER SUPPLY, ORTOFON CADENZA BLACK CART, KLAUDIO RCM, SHUNYATA DENALI 6000/S v2, SHUNYATA OMEGA QR’s, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Esoteric/Bryston System: ESOTERIC C02-X PRE-AMP, P-02X TRANSPORT, D02-X DAC, G02-X CLOCK, BRYSTON 28B3 CUBED MONOBLOCK AMPS(4), BRYSTON BHA-1 HEADPHONE AMP, SHUNYATA DENALI 6000/S v2(2) EVEREST 8000 POWER CONDITIONER(2) ALTAIRA CG & SG HUBS, AMR-DP777-SE DAC, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, TAD REFERENCE ONE MK2 LOUDSPEAKERS, QUADRASPIRE RACK, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Accuphase/Canton System: ACCUPHASE E800 INTEGRATED, DP570 CD/SACD PLAYER, T1200 FM STEREO TUNER, DG-68 VOICING EQUALIZER, PS530 POWER SUPPLY, CANTON REF K3’s, CANTON REF K5’s, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, HRS MXR REFERENCE MAHOGHANY RACK w/ M3X2 SHELVES, WW GOLD CABLES
Old 01-04-2014, 01:54 PM
Merry Christmas to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeoz View Post
Hey thanks Dan appreciate the comment but my last post was slightly 'tongue in cheek' as I recently bought a 302e and am very happy with it. Not sure what I'm missing out on as McIntosh (I assume that's the preferred choice) are very rare in the UK , I don't want a lot of heat and tube power amps don't suit my style of listening.

I do think this thread illustrate why so few people post in this particular section.
Mikeoz.......I made the assumption you might be a Krell owner or at least a Krell aficionado from your initial comment about enit's post. Most of us can get our feathers fluffed quite easily when someone takes a shot at our beloved systems. There are plenty of Krell owners and past owners who post their experiences here so you will get both sides of the story from reading the different threads and posts. The Krell forum here is less active than others simply because there are other amplifier manufacturer's products being purchased in larger quantities by members. That doesn't mean Krell doesn't produce a fine product worthy of being included in a high-end system. There are many other manufacturer's forums here that have far fewer threads and posts than the Krell forum for the same reason.

It is not news that Krell has lost some ground in the high-end market for any number of reasons. The Krell management team is more than aware of it themselves. They have struggled to reemerge and gain a fresh place in the high-end market. After 30+ years as an audio manufacturer I feel certain they will continue to be a successful company. I'm sure they have a lot of faith in their new product line previewing at this year's 2014 Consumer Electronics Show.

I have had personal experience with Krell components through the years. A good friend still owns a Krell KSA-250 Class A amplifier that he drives Martin Logan panels with. I have listened to his system many times. He used to work for Sound Advice and he tried for years to convert me from McIntosh to Krell. My biggest issues along the same lines as some others was heat and a rather dry analytical presentation that bordered on edgy to my ears. Krell's bass authority and dynamics have always been spectacular but the upper midrange sterility I experienced auditioning a number of Krell amps over the years never really captured my enthusiasm. Reading reviews and forums I discovered I was not alone in my opinion. In fact, the analytical nature of Krell amplifiers is widely known and accepted as their signature sound. Some audio enthusiasts love the Krell sound and some prefer other amplifiers. Actually, that can be said about all manufacturer's offerings. We all have different tastes and interpret what we hear in different ways. That's a large part of what keeps high-end audio so exciting. There's always another sonic flavor just around the corner.

Your Krell Evolution 302e is a fine amplifier and a good looking beast, too. I much prefer its appearance to Krell's new products. The Krell Evolution line of pre/pro's and amplifiers have garnered many great reviews as well. Krell also had good success with their mono block Evolution 400e, 600e and 900e amplifiers. As a Krell 302e owner it is evident you are pleased with its performance. That's a good thing. Don't get discouraged just because their are differing views from yours. That is the nature of high-end audio. We all think our choices are the best. It certainly doesn't mean we can't be persuaded to change gears and head in an entirely new direction should something new capture our attention and ignite our excitement.

Krell Evolution 302e

STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, Shunyata Sigma spdif digital cable, Sonos Connect, PurePower 2000, Stillpoints, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Michell HR Power Supply, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Wireworld, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario
LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC75 (2), MR85, Magnum Dynalab 205, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Shunyata Sigma USB cable, Micro Seiki DD40, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, Nakamichi BX-300, Sony 60ES DAT, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, Sonos Connect, Stillpoints, Wireworld, Kimber, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113
VINTAGE - McIntosh MA230, Tandberg 3011A tuner, Olive 04HD, Sony DTC-59ES DAT, McIntosh 4300V, JBL 4312A

Last edited by jdandy; 01-04-2014 at 01:56 PM.
Old 01-04-2014, 05:02 PM

Enit

Rumors and take them for what they are worth indicated that one or maybe the reason that Dan was forced out at Krell was he was unable to bring new product in at the targeted market pricing. If Krell was trying to compete with the likes of McIntosh, PASS, etc then his 400 WPC amp couldn't list for twice the price of the competition.

Maybe that is why the newer products are coming in at lower price points.

Last edited by jdandy; 01-04-2014 at 05:28 PM. Reason: corrected emoticon.
Old 01-04-2014, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdandy View Post
[B] My biggest issues along the same lines as some others was heat and a rather dry analytical presentation that bordered on edgy to my ears. Krell's bass authority and dynamics have always been spectacular but the upper midrange sterility I experienced auditioning a number of Krell amps over the years never really captured my enthusiasm.
I use my Krell 400e with Audio Research Ref 5SE, which caused there is no midrange sterility here I am aware of, instead it shows the best of both worlds when combining Krell (indeed authority and dynamics, but also openness and detail) with ARC-tubes (adding that magic midrange).

Heat is also no issue here, as 400e runs warm, but not particular hot in my place.
Old 01-04-2014, 05:46 PM
Merry Christmas to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by stock78 View Post
I use my Krell 400e with Audio Research Ref 5SE, which caused there is no midrange sterility here I am aware of, instead it shows the best of both worlds when combining Krell (indeed authority and dynamics, but also openness and detail) with ARC-tubes (adding that magic midrange).

Heat is also no issue here, as 400e runs warm, but not particular hot in my place.
stock78.......I'll bet your Krell 400e amplifiers sound very good with the Audio Research Ref 5SE preamplifier. Like you said, "the best of both worlds." My friend's system uses the Krell KRC-HR preamplifier to drive his KSA-250. It is an older Krell preamp that is Class A with an outboard power supply. I would find it interesting to hear a more modern tube preamp drive his KSA-250 but that's not going to happen. He loves his Krell gear as much as I love my McIntosh gear. I get the feeling you're loving those Krell Evolution 400e's too.

STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, Shunyata Sigma spdif digital cable, Sonos Connect, PurePower 2000, Stillpoints, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Michell HR Power Supply, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Wireworld, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario
LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC75 (2), MR85, Magnum Dynalab 205, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Shunyata Sigma USB cable, Micro Seiki DD40, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, Nakamichi BX-300, Sony 60ES DAT, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, Sonos Connect, Stillpoints, Wireworld, Kimber, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113
VINTAGE - McIntosh MA230, Tandberg 3011A tuner, Olive 04HD, Sony DTC-59ES DAT, McIntosh 4300V, JBL 4312A
Old 01-04-2014, 07:07 PM

Is Krell coming out with a new blu-ray player? Their last flagship player was not released.
Old 01-04-2014, 09:51 PM

Any updates coming on the Krell Connect music server, nice looking unit except it lacks any DSD functions.
Old 01-04-2014, 10:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Still-One View Post
Enit Rumors and take them for what they are worth indicated that one or maybe the reason that Dan was forced out at Krell was he was unable to bring new product in at the targeted market pricing. If Krell was trying to compete with the likes of McIntosh, PASS, etc then his 400 WPC amp couldn't list for twice the price of the competition. Maybe that is why the newer products are coming in at lower price points.
Dan wanted to make even Higher End products , in the philosophy he felt was moving away from his company.

Was referring the ML for stereo amps pricing.