AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > D'Agostino Audio

D'Agostino Audio Master Audio Systems

Old 02-25-2012, 10:25 PM

Old 02-25-2012, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by turntable View Post
I luv this amp so far.

This is the first SS amp (I have tried many) that sounds musical like my beloved big cj tube monoblocks in timing and upper air extension, that has bass that does not get leaner or out of kilter with the rest of the frequency delivery as you CRANK up the volume.

This amp also does not distort and break up when pushed to its absolute limits, which for SS is amazing.

Now the dilema, I have allready driven the Monentum Stereo to its 200 watt limit - with The The - Armageddon Days are here again - awesome song. see pic below. I have not yet played any of my big bass and huge dynamic electronic music.

Easy answer is go the monoblocks, however they are well and truely out of my $$ grasp.

I will see more if I can live with driving the Momentum S to its limits for the rest of the week.

What happens when this amp is driven to it's "limit"

Thermal shutdown?

Protection circuit?

Distortion?

Over heat?

Do tel..
Old 02-25-2012, 10:34 PM

Shane, I suggest you don't pay attention to the meters so much. Flip the switch to a lower sensitivity setting and keep rocking. I think you'll find that your ears will quit long before this amp does.
Old 02-25-2012, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by two dot View Post
What happens when this amp is driven to it's "limit"

Thermal shutdown?

Protection circuit?

Distortion?

Over heat?

Do tel..
No

No

No

No - does get hot but not as hot as the Ayre MX-R's.

Why not? - NFI Seems to be brilliant design so far.

My big tubes don't have any of the above traits either.

Like anything, if it is distorting when you are playing you turn it down, not continute to play. Overdrive anything for long enough and something will break.
Old 02-25-2012, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHC1 View Post
Shane, I suggest you don't pay attention to the meters so much. Flip the switch to a lower sensitivity setting and keep rocking. I think you'll find that your ears will quit long before this amp does.
Flip what switch Serge?

as I mentioned, no distortion so not at its limits yet, except for the 200 watt tacho.

do you mean the two on the back marked 20/200/100 below? Don't have the manual to refer to. They are allready both on 20, unless those labels are also wrong

Old 02-25-2012, 10:44 PM

Yes, try them and see which setting gives you a lower sensitivity for the power tach.
Old 02-25-2012, 11:14 PM

Shane, don't forget that the 200w rating is into 8 ohms. I would be very surprised if this stereo amp doesn't comfortably double down into 4, 2 and probably even 1 ohm. So it is probably an 800w amp into 2 ohms. The Maxx 3 presents an impedance curve where this amp will really begin to get on the power band.

Old 02-26-2012, 01:07 AM
Audio Snoopster

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHC1 View Post
Shane, don't forget that the 200w rating is into 8 ohms. I would be very surprised if this stereo amp doesn't comfortably double down into 4, 2 and probably even 1 ohm. So it is probably an 800w amp into 2 ohms. The Maxx 3 presents an impedance curve where this amp will really begin to get on the power band.

Serge: You're correct as Mr. D'Agostino (at CES 2012) did mention that the Momentum Stereo amp doubles down all the way to 800w into 2 ohms, and knowing how he makes his amps, even down to 1 ohm as well (just like his Momentum Monoblocks).

Shane: The Momentum Monoblock amps have two tiny toggle switches in the rear to operate the power meter sensitivity and illumination (one can choose between two levels of meter illumination or to switch off the green lighting entirely). I'm pretty sure your power meter sensitivity toggle switch at the rear of your Momentum Stereo amp is set at the higher sensitivity setting. As an FYI, in Ken Kessler's review of the Momentum Monoblocks in HiFi News, his Lab Report stated "Dan’s near-religious use of supply regulation ensures the Momentum not only bests its 300W rating at 335W/8ohm and a solid 575W/4ohm but this tolerance also ensures a full 380W, 725W, 1.33kW and 2.22kW is delivered under dynamic conditions at <1% THD into 8, 4, 2 and 1ohm loads". So it'll be safe to say that the Momentum Stereo amp will be built to perform in a similar fashion.

Philip
Old 02-26-2012, 06:14 AM

If the Momentum Monos are a bridged version Momentum Stereo (that would explain the fact that you can convert the stereo amp into a monoblock), then the Stereo version would be even more stable (although outputing less Watts).
Old 02-26-2012, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elberoth
If the Momentum Monos are a bridged version Momentum Stereo (that would explain the fact that you can convert the stereo amp into a monoblock), then the Stereo version would be even more stable (although outputing less Watts).
I seem to remember Dan telling me that his Momentums aren't a bridged design. Could be wrong.
Myles Astor, Senior Editor., Positive-Feedback.com, Goldmund Telos 300 amplifier, Goldmund Mimesis 37S Nextgen preamplifier, Doshi EVO phono and tape stages; Zellaton Plural EVO speakers; VPI Vanquish Turntable, VPI 12-inch Fat Boy gimbal arm and SAT LM-12 arm; Lyra Atlas SL Lambda, Fuuga mk.2, vdh Colibri Master Signature cartridges; Technics 1506/FM heads; Various cables including TA, MIT, Kubala-Sosna, Skogrand, Viero L3 Equilibrio speaker cables, Audience, SRA Craz 3 rack, Isobase and OHIO Class XL+2.1 platforms.