AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Linn

Linn Clean & Precise Music

Old 06-02-2017, 11:30 PM

Yes, it's hard to leave when the music sounds so good. I might have not mentioned it but I went from a standard bottom cover to a Trampoline II. There was the ever so slight little deeper sound. Pleasing. Previously I had experienced going from Valhalla to Lingo 1 and standard bearing to Cirkus. That was quite pleasant, too. I'm saving towards a Radikal. The upgrades are so tempting. Something slight happens with each one and it's hard to define. Lotta fun.
Old 06-03-2017, 02:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by longgone View Post
Yes, it's hard to leave when the music sounds so good. I might have not mentioned it but I went from a standard bottom cover to a Trampoline II. There was the ever so slight little deeper sound. Pleasing. Previously I had experienced going from Valhalla to Lingo 1 and standard bearing to Cirkus. That was quite pleasant, too. I'm saving towards a Radikal. The upgrades are so tempting. Something slight happens with each one and it's hard to define. Lotta fun.

Since we last communicated I went from Lingo III to Radikal (big improvement!). But before that, the absolute biggest and best sound improvement was putting a Booplinth on! I think it made the performance come very close to full spec. The bass improved dramatically and soundstage grew with more imaging and detail. Musical to boot! Highly, highly recommended, but controversial with the competition. Those of us who have it disagree completely.

The last change to bring was to my overall system in the area of cables. I purchased Tyr speaker cables and was able to hear what the turntable was pulling off the albums. Very satisfying experience; bass, previously unheard details (example: holographic finger snaps never noticed before on Marvin Gaye's "What's Going On?"), etc.

I could step there but don't think I'm through yet. Just saving money and contemplating next move ... power amp??? Cool (even if a little expensive) journey! Very satisfying!

Larry
Old 06-03-2017, 04:07 PM

A Lingo III to a Radikal and a big improvement? Big difference? Good to hear. Now I'm really looking forward to a Radikal. I'll have to hear it to understand it, I guess? So, the Radikal happened after the Booplinth? I have an impression of synergy happening over there? Nordost cables, too! Nice.
I have some 45 X 12" RPMs so I'm looking forward to the Radikal with the ability to change speeds along with the other benefits.
Almost everything seems so expensive.
It gets tricky for me because most of the time I think, "how can this TT possibly sound better?". Then again, I recently discovered a tube tuner. Oh boy. After a little time to adjust to the difference from an SS tuner, the tube is cool!
Not many LP12 guys on here?
Old 06-03-2017, 04:45 PM

Quote:
A Lingo III to a Radikal and a big improvement? Big difference? Good to hear. Now I'm really looking forward to a Radikal. I'll have to hear it to understand it, I guess? So, the Radikal happened after the Booplinth? I have an impression of synergy happening over there? Nordost cables, too! Nice.

I have some 45 X 12" RPMs so I'm looking forward to the Radikal with the ability to change speeds along with the other benefits.

Almost everything seems so expensive.

It gets tricky for me because most of the time I think, "how can this TT possibly sound better?". Then again, I recently discovered a tube tuner. Oh boy. After a little time to adjust to the difference from an SS tuner, the tube is cool!

Not many LP12 guys on here?

Glad to see your responses again longgone.

"Now I'm really looking forward to a Radikal. I'll have to hear it to understand it, I guess? So, the Radikal happened after the Booplinth? I have an impression of synergy happening over there? Nordost cables, too!"

Yeah the expense thing is daunting but I have been moderating those costs when and where I can with used purchases along with new. For example, the Tyr cable purchases I made cost 1/4 of what they are new as I caught a few deals on Audiogon. I also look on my dealer's trade-in or used equipment shelves (that is where I purchased my original LP12 from). My Ekos tonearm was used from my dealer, etc. Another great example is that MasterLu always seems to run specials on various things plus will operate with layaway (my dealer makes this available and it really helps me make purchases and not feel like I've strained to do it later). The Booplinth was big enough that stopping there without a Radikal might have been enough for me for a long time...

My journey has also suffered through bouts of disappointing sounds and not being sure if it was my system or me psychologically or emotionally. That is still somewhat of a mystery to me honestly but I notice when I give myself a little space between listens I remain more engaged. I also continue to do some tweaking when this occurs too, such as making sure my speakers are voiced properly and that I am sitting in the correct location which amazingly makes a big difference in the sound performance consistency, etc., etc.

This might make you lose your mind, but I find that my sound is more sterile when the atmosphere (humidity) of my room is more dry. Soooo, I bring out a humidifier and run it in the room during listening sessions. Honest [emoji28][emoji851]. I notice when it is wet and humid in the area I enjoy listening immensely! Its been raining here the last two days so I will get some good listening in tonight for sure.

This is all kept in perspective better for me when I remember it really is still about enjoying the music and equally important for me is to remember this is a hobby that I enjoy immensely. It calms my demons and keeps me home which most times my lady approves of [emoji12].

There others reading and they will pop up when the motivation comes. I think the LP12 is still in the category of cult followers who've acquired the taste!

Larry
Old 06-05-2017, 01:55 PM

I know the lust for the Linn Radikal. I will own one someday! May I suggest a cost friendly alternative "Orignlive Ultra DC motor kit with upgraded motor and power supply". The switch from a AC to DC is quite an upgrade in musical presentation! The only short coming is that DC motor speed tends varies due varying factors. The ones that appear most often are LP weight, LP groove drag, and LP flatness. To address this "float" I use the road runner tachometer which works quite well. Yes..... You'll have manually adjust speed to 3.33 depending on the LP. No.... It's that big of a deal comparing to the 4.5K (USD)!!!

Ken
Sonus Faber Cremona, (2) JL Audio F110 subs, Squeeze Server v7.9 Windows 2012 Server 25TB, Audio Metallurgy GA-0 XLR & RCA, Wireworld Silver Eclipse speaker cable, PS Audio Power Plant Premier (2), WireWorld Silver Power Cables, Tascam DA3000
Old 06-06-2017, 12:49 AM

Last month, I upgraded from a rebuilt Valhalla and Trampoline 1 to a Lingo 3 and Trampoline 2. I didn't think my previous set up could sound any better, but with these additions, it does. I especially notice it on the mono recordings.
McIntosh MC 2102 (Gold Lion), McIntosh C2300 (Gold Lion), McIntosh MR 78, Linn Majik DS, Linn LP 12 (Afromosia Plinth, Karousel, Kore Sub-Chasis, Trampoline Two, Lingo 3, Akito 3b, T-Kable, Ortofon LV 250 Black), Dynaudio Special 40 Speakers, Woo Audio WA6-SE Headphone Amplifier, Audeze LCD-2 Headphones, Shunyata Hydra AV
Old 06-06-2017, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elvis160 View Post
Last month, I upgraded from a rebuilt Valhalla and Trampoline 1 to a Lingo 3 and Trampoline 2. I didn't think my previous set up could sound any better, but with these additions, it does. I especially notice it on the mono recordings.

You know, I upgraded from a standard plinth and footings to the latest Trampoline (is it 2 or 3) and it was a noticeable improvement! What I have since come to understand is the Trampoline seems to really make a difference if your rack is mass loaded (which mine is). I think that could be why some folks report only little differences. The final thing I did which really helped tighten and focus the sound was to place my TT on an HRS-1 isolation table. They discontinued that model and it was cheap but unloaded from the rack and isolated from sonic vibrations from the speakers too. i think our LP12's are sensitive to vibrations in a big way!

IMG_0890.JPG
Old 06-07-2017, 11:10 PM

I read up on the Booplinth. Ooo la la. And it seems a fact that a plinth upgrade is a good thing. Did you use your original dust cover on the Booplinth?
Old 06-07-2017, 11:18 PM

your LP12 looks mighty nice.
Old 06-08-2017, 07:52 AM

Quote:
I read up on the Booplinth. Ooo la la. And it seems a fact that a plinth upgrade is a good thing. Did you use your original dust cover on the Booplinth?
Yes, I believe it came with the mounting points either attached or marked (I ordered it through and had it installed by my dealer and he used my original cover) . He said it was very well engineered and the installation went smoothly (it all fit precisely). Thanks for the nice comments, it sounds even better than it looks. They provide it in several color options.