AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Bryston Audio

Bryston Audio Unlimited, Unprecedented, Unequalled

Old 01-07-2017, 10:18 AM

Default MQA Discussion

Hi Folks,

Some people have asked about MQA and our thoughts on it.

Please feel free to comment on your thoughts about MQA.

I think its important that we get both sides of the story.

james
Old 01-07-2017, 06:51 PM

James
You guys have been sitting on the fence too long on MQA. The downloads available prior to Tidal finally opening the floodgates this week did little to generate much excitement. Those of us who are MQA compatible are hearing some of the best digital sound to date. On the four sites I have been following the releases on the 5th there are many doubters who have become converts. Nothing in this hobby is accepted by everyone.
Old 01-07-2017, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Still-One View Post
James
You guys have been sitting on the fence too long on MQA. The downloads available prior to Tidal finally opening the floodgates this week did little to generate much excitement. Those of us who are MQA compatible are hearing some of the best digital sound to date. On the four sites I have been following the releases on the 5th there are many doubters who have become converts. Nothing in this hobby is accepted by everyone.
HI

Yes it will be interesting to see how this plays out.

james
Old 01-07-2017, 08:01 PM

How this plays out?

I was hoping you would be telling us the good news, that you have a firmware update this next week for our BDA-3's. Lol!
Old 01-07-2017, 08:12 PM

I'm impressed. The masters are well done. I've never heard led zep sound this good. There's an opeth album which I am very familiar with and the mqa master is great.

Now, if these same masters were offered without the mqa "shell" would they sound as good? IMHO they would
Old 01-07-2017, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djohnson013 View Post
How this plays out?

I was hoping you would be telling us the good news, that you have a firmware update this next week for our BDA-3's. Lol!
Hi

No not ready to commit yet - there are just too many unanswered questions and there appears to be a real polarizing aspect to the debate.

james
Old 01-07-2017, 08:31 PM

So I may be a little confused... is it supposed to sound better than say DSD or high end PCM ... or is it just supposed to sounds a lot better than the MP3 files that they are similar to in size? I'm not sure I understand the goal.
Old 01-07-2017, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Tanner - Bryston View Post
Hi

No not ready to commit yet - there are just too many unanswered questions and there appears to be a real polarizing aspect to the debate.

james

Resistance is futile. I think the polarization is due to lack of access. I think that is changing now thanks to Tidal!
Supporting System: McIntosh MX122 A/V Center; MC205 Amplifier; Bryston 14bSST2 Amplifier; PS Audio P10 Power Reconditioner; Revel Salon 2 Mains; Revel Voice 2 CC; JL Audio f113v2 (2); JL Audio CR-1 Crossover; Focal IC1002 Surrounds
Old 01-07-2017, 10:29 PM
Racing Hoopties

I see it as a potentially (yet mostly only advertised) solution to streaming Hi Res with less bandwidth. BUT and it is a BIG but, you need new equipment (if I understand things - but may not). I hate having to purchase new equipment for new digital - but have done it in the case of DSD.

So:

1 does it sound better?
2 does it stream better sound at less bandwidth?
3 does it require new - proprietary - equipment?
Network : Supra Cat 8+, Twin (Nenon) Modified Buffalo GS2016 Switches with fiber in between powered with Keces P3 LPSU,
Cables: Wireworld Platinum 8 USB, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse 8 Speaker cables, 6M & 1M Tubulus Concentus ICs,
Other: GIK & Stillpoint Apertures, Stillpoint Minis and Ultra SS, Three dedicated 20 Amp lines w/Furutech GTX - Gold outlets, Adona 5 Shelf rack, Roon sometimes running self made convolution filters
Old 01-07-2017, 11:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gadawg View Post
So I may be a little confused... is it supposed to sound better than say DSD or high end PCM ... or is it just supposed to sounds a lot better than the MP3 files that they are similar to in size? I'm not sure I understand the goal.
The goal is music streaming.

I don't think MQA is better than other hires music per se, but it is much more friendly on bandwidth needed for streaming services.

And with TIDAL support, it seems like the floodgate has opened. I expect that most studios are less keen on releasing a full DSD or full DXD/HR PCM version for download but are happy to release them for streaming with some copy protection built in.

Potentially though, if MQA's filtering and reconstructing filters are used correctly, I reckon it could make hires sound better than conventional HR PCM.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crwilli View Post
I see it as a potentially (yet mostly only advertised) solution to streaming Hi Res with less bandwidth. BUT and it is a BIG but, you need new equipment (if I understand things - but may not). I hate having to purchase new equipment for new digital - but have done it in the case of DSD.

So:

1 does it sound better?
2 does it stream better sound at less bandwidth?
3 does it require new - proprietary - equipment?
MQA has flip flopped on this issue so it is not surprising that you were mistaken in your understanding

In the latest TIDAL native app for Mac and PC, the software will decode the MQA stream to 24/96 if you don't have an MQA compatible DAC.

1. like with most formats, mastering is more important than just being hires
2. yes - but with caveat, see 1.
3. no