AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Audio & Video > Vintage Audio

Vintage Audio Classic never goes out of Style

Old 09-28-2013, 07:42 AM
Radical Lab Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by AudioNut View Post
First "good" pair - 1963 - Electrovoice EV-2 (That's 50 years worth of dust, folks!)

My brother still uses them!

My first pair were HH Scott S-71's (go wide with browser.)

Which I bought new in ~1975 at the age of 17.

The swivel stands were GREAT! as they had mid-tweets arranged in a horizontal line, the response would change when 'rotating.' I rotated those speaks for years.. for every different listening position. It was a fun and interesting aspect of the system.

Sill have them in the lower level waiting for a restoration. Last audition revealed muddled and distorted bass output.

-Gregory

Last edited by Gregory; 09-28-2013 at 07:48 AM.
Old 11-04-2013, 09:29 PM

LOL, I remember those round plastic speakers! Don't remember how they sounded but they are kinda cool.

My first "good" speakers were Bose 901's with a Pioneer 1010 from our SE Asia PX 1974 or 1975. Rock and roll! Looking back that must have been ear bleeding.
Old 12-29-2013, 07:49 PM

Default Sansui SP3000

These were my first decent speakers. I bought these in 1975 while at MCAS Iwakuni in Japan. They were in the main system until 1983 when they were replaced by the Magnepan MG1.0 IMP which I still have. They moved into the den and I finally sold them in 1988.

Old 01-03-2014, 02:41 PM

I probably had something before these Marantz HD 66 speakers (not my actual speakers), but it's been too long!

Last edited by Toccata; 01-03-2014 at 04:43 PM.
Old 01-03-2014, 03:34 PM

These are not the actual ones I had but my first real set of speakers were Pioneer HPM-100 's
Old 01-03-2014, 06:03 PM

My first were Advent Loudspeakers. I bought them in 1977.

SOURCES: Analog 1 - Well Tempered Amadeus + EMT TSD15 + Lehmann Audio Decade Phonostage. Analog 2 - Thorens TD124 + Origin Live Zephyr Tonearm + Dynavector Karat 17D3 + Dynavector P75 MKll Phonestage Digital - Ayre QX-5 Twenty Amps - Nagra CLassic Amp (2) + Nagra Jazz Pre SPEAKERS - TAD CE1
Cables - Wireworld.

Last edited by Logey; 01-04-2014 at 12:03 AM.
Old 03-11-2014, 09:01 PM

Listening to my Advents in my basement. I just rebuilt the crossovers. They sound surprisingly good. If I close my eyes, I'm back in my college dorm room.

image-2639946346.jpg

Sent from my iPad using A.Aficionado
SOURCES: Analog 1 - Well Tempered Amadeus + EMT TSD15 + Lehmann Audio Decade Phonostage. Analog 2 - Thorens TD124 + Origin Live Zephyr Tonearm + Dynavector Karat 17D3 + Dynavector P75 MKll Phonestage Digital - Ayre QX-5 Twenty Amps - Nagra CLassic Amp (2) + Nagra Jazz Pre SPEAKERS - TAD CE1
Cables - Wireworld.
Old 03-15-2014, 10:52 AM

JBL L100 Century! "The" Rock-N-Roll speaker of the day. Wish I still had them. They had the blue foam grilles and ROCKED the block.
Old 03-15-2014, 11:10 AM
The Architect

My first pair of "real" speakers were McIntosh ML-2Cs that I drove with a Denon 140W Integrated Amp. I picked them up in college from a friend of my roommate's dad. In hindsight, I probably shouldn't have bought them as they were heavy and hard to deal with, as well as being major overkill for the size of my living space, but I loved them!

JL Audio F113 subs with CR-1 Crossover
Schiit Audio Yggdrasil DAC (Analog 2 + Unison USB)
Sonore Ultrarendu with Uptone Audio LPS-1.2
Uptone Audio EtherREGEN network switch with LPS-1.2
Oppo UDP-205 with ModWright Signature Truth Tube Modifications
Clearaudio Performance SE TT with Hana ML MC cartridge
ModWright PH 9.0x Phono Stage
ASC & RealTraps Panels; APS PurePower 2000; Daedalus Audio DiDs
LAT International, Shunyata, Wireworld, WyWires Cables
Old 03-15-2014, 04:29 PM
World's Oldest Audiophile

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJinID View Post
My first pair of "real" speakers were McIntosh ML-2Cs that I drove with a Denon 140W Integrated Amp. I picked them up in college from a friend of my roommate's dad. In hindsight, I probably shouldn't have bought them as they were heavy and hard to deal with, as well as being major overkill for the size of my living space, but I loved them!

They were really good looking furniture . . . . and probably sounded good too . . . My dad had Bozak speakers that looked very similar (early 1960's)

I have a record player and a cd player and some other stuff that sounds pretty good.

MAIN SYSTEM: . . . Audio Physic Caldera III Loudspeakers, Spectral DMC 30SL Preamp, Spectral DMA 250 Amp, Spectral/MIT interconnects and speaker cable, Basis Debut V Vacuum turntable, Walker Precision Speed Controller, Graham tonearm, [B]Koetsu Rosewood or Grado Statement 1 Cartridges, PASS - X-ono Phono Stage, Esoteric K03 CD/SACD Player, Lexicon RT-20 Universal Player, Exact Power EP-15A & SP-15A power regeneration and conditioning devices. Symposium Acoustics Svelte pads & RollerBlock Jr's under speakers. ASC Tube Traps, Arcici Suspense Rack System, OPPO and Cambridge Streaming Devices.

DOWNSTAIRS SYSTEM: . . . Sonus Faber Guarneri Memento Speakers, JL Audio F112 Sub, McIntosh MA7000 Integrated Amp, McIntosh MVP871 Universal Disc Player, OPPO BDP-105 Blu-Ray Player, VPI Scoutmaster with periphery ring clamp, VPI SDS Motor Drive, Koetsu Pro IV, or Clearaudio Discovery Cartridges, Mark Levinson No. 25s phono stage, Wadia 170i Transport with a Meridian Bitstream 203 DAC, VPI HW-17 Pro Record Cleaning Machine, Five Richard Gray RGPC 400 devices scattered around the two systems, Arcici Suspense Rack System, Discovery Essence and Essential Cables, 14,000 ± LPs .