AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Audio & Video > Acoustical Treatments

Acoustical Treatments Because the room matters

Old 08-28-2009, 06:51 AM

Question Lyngdorf rp-1 / men 220

I don't know if it's the place to talk about this item or the MEN 220.

I'm very excited today : I'm going to pick up a Lyngdorf RP1 to try it at home for about a week.
My room has a very clear acoustic with lots of reverb and a very high flutter echo.
Really curious how this machine put between the C1000P and the 501's will do its job. If it works fine, this will save me from buying and installing more than 10 acoustic panels, which have a very low waf.
Especially for LPs : putting an analog to digital converter and then an other dac does not seem to be able to preserve the "analog" sound I like so much, both from my Clearaudio TT and from the MDA 1000.
I will post my impressions here.
If the Lyngdorf works well, I will go for it and won't wait for the MEN 220 because no dealer in France would make me a home demo of the MEN 220.
Does anyone knows if the MEN 220 will also work in the digital domain or analog ?

Cheers,
Jérôme
Old 08-28-2009, 09:16 AM
Against the Tide

Here are some info links on the RP-1 from my previos post.

http://audioaficionado.org/mcintosh-...html#post33599
Old 08-28-2009, 01:37 PM

looking forward to your findings jérôme.

I tried the RP-1 too and wasn't very impressed...I hope it works out for you

THX

Jacques
Old 08-28-2009, 04:09 PM

Wink Woaahhhh !

OK,

It's here.
It took about 1 hour to set up.
It says "Room Knowledge : 99 %" with 9 measures in the room.
"Room correction" : 9 % which is supposed to be low. But Lyngdorf says this figure is an average : the correction could be very high for some frequencies.
Set-up between the C1000P and the 501's. Symetrical links.
The case is impressive. Very well built. It's a kind of aluminium cast. You feel very confident.
Well, it is simply stunning.
I discovered this product here. I'm really happy.
It does everything I was hoping for.
My room has a cathedral ceiling : a very clear, reverberant acoustic. Huge flutter echo.
It's Ok when you hear until volume 35 on the C1000P. Beyond that level, the sound becomes fatiguing and looses clarity and details.
Ijust can't believe what the Lyngdorf does.
When I a/ b no correction vs correction, which is very easy and direct from the remote, the result is so impressive, you could think that when there is no correction added, the Lyngdorf actually does something wrong to make you believe how good the correction is.
To speak briefly but clearly :
- the bass is now tremendous. Powerful and cristal clear. Extremely detailed. Not agressive at all. A very impressive punch.
- voices are more human and warm. More weight actually all over the spectrum.
- the whole signal is much more clear and transparent. There is an incredible sense of presence, texture of the instruments, much more details.
- The acoustic of the room is now quite "perfect" : it is warm and no more clear. It is still extremely alive and dynamic. I remember the comment from Jem666 stating it "sucked all the life from the music". In my room, with my set-up, it's exactly the opposite.
- Immediately, you feel that you don't need to increase the volume to get the bass and treble you're looking for. The sound is extremely satisfying at all levels. So you get much more pleasure and you don't need to push the level high.
- What is really stunning is the level of transparency. You don't miss anything from the original signal, LP's or Cd's. That's amazing when you think that the analog signal is converted to digital, then treated and then reconverted to analog. I was not very attracted by this kind of design, but well, it works, and it works extremely well..
- filters are fine. Very light differences between them. I enjoyed "Relaxed" for jazz and Music 1 or 2 or no filter for pop / rock / blues. Neutral is also very good but I would need more time to see the real differences between them.

Jean Marc thought my system was lacking some bass. I'm waiting for him to come again now and see what this item can do.
Jem666, I can't accept that you felt what you describe with a correct unit. Your item must have had a defect.
Bypassing the Lyngdorf is like going from a Ferrari to a Cheve. You just can't believe that you liked the sound before. And that's just a "9 %" correction !!!
This is really a great site.
The dealer made me a great price on it : so it's done. I'm keeping that jewel.
I don't need any more acoustic panels now and If I had tried this earlier, I would not have bought the 6 panels I bought from GIK.
I think anyone looking for a better acoustic should try that. Be open minded.
And be prepared for a real shock and revelation.

I wonder how their amps, cd players and speakers sound if this is so good....
Cheers,
Jérôme

Last edited by Jerome W; 08-28-2009 at 04:12 PM.
Old 08-28-2009, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by klipschfan View Post
Here are some info links on the RP-1 from my previos post.

http://audioaficionado.org/mcintosh-...html#post33599
I have to thank you respectfully for making me discovering this wonder !!
Best wishes,
Jérôme
Old 08-28-2009, 04:37 PM
Merry Christmas to all

Jérôme.......You have seriously whetted my appetite, or at the very least raised my curiosity about the Lyngdorf RP1, and the new McIntosh MEN220 that is coming out. I don't think there is a room in the world that can't use some acoustic correction, whether that correction is physical or electronic.

My only concern would be experiencing any listener fatigue, or added digital edge to the musical details. If the Lyngdorf RP1, or the McIntosh MEN220 can do their magic while remaining totally invisible at the same time, then I will be owning one or the other in the near future.

Post a photo or two for us see.

STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, Shunyata Sigma spdif digital cable, Sonos Connect, PurePower 2000, Stillpoints, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Michell HR Power Supply, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Wireworld, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario
LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC75 (2), MR85, Magnum Dynalab 205, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Shunyata Sigma USB cable, Micro Seiki DD40, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, Nakamichi BX-300, Sony 60ES DAT, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, Sonos Connect, Stillpoints, Wireworld, Kimber, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113
VINTAGE - McIntosh MA230, Tandberg 3011A tuner, Olive 04HD, Sony DTC-59ES DAT, McIntosh 4300V, JBL 4312A

Last edited by jdandy; 08-28-2009 at 04:39 PM.
Old 08-28-2009, 04:38 PM

Jérôme
I owned a Tact 2.2x for some time a few years ago. The unit was the NA version of the Lyngdorf before they broke up. I also have a problem with my 2 channel room that creates bass issues. The Tact unit did a very good job of improving the bass and clearing up some mid range smear I had. If the unit had better DAC's it might still be in my system. Depending on final pricing I amy try the McIntosh unit to see if it could provide the benefits without the degradation caused by having to use the Tact's DAC's.

Glad that it seems to be working for you.
Jim
Old 08-28-2009, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdandy View Post
Jérôme.......You have seriously whetted my appetite, or at the very least raised my curiosity about the Lyngdorf RP1, and the new McIntosh MEN220 that is coming out. I don't think there is a room in the world that can't use some acoustic correction, whether that correction is physical or electronic.

My only concern would be experiencing any listener fatigue, or added digital edge to the musical details. If the Lyngdorf RP1, or the McIntosh MEN220 can do their magic while remaining totally invisible at the same time, then I will be owning one or the other in the future.

Post a photo or two for us see.
Dan, my father is sleeping there right now.
I will post a picture tomorrow.
But believe me, I don't like as you may know " digital edges". There is no such thing here !

Jérôme
Old 08-28-2009, 04:48 PM
Against the Tide

Quote:
Originally Posted by C220MC275 View Post
I have to thank you respectfully for making me discovering this wonder !!
Best wishes,
Jérôme
You are welcome!.

Enjoy the new sound...
Old 08-28-2009, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by klipschfan View Post
You are welcome!.

Enjoy the new sound...
If you come to Paris, You'll be my guest in a great restaurant OK ?