AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Bryston Audio

Bryston Audio Unlimited, Unprecedented, Unequalled

Old 07-21-2017, 11:45 AM

MEMO: To All Bryston Customers
SUBJECT: Bryston Model T Active – Customer Review - Drew

July, 2017

Well I have had the new Bryston BAX-1 with Tri-amped Signatures ( Qty. 4 7BSST2 for the Low and Mids, and a 4BSST2 for the Highs) now for three weeks and I thought I would follow up with my longer term observations, as first impressions can sometimes be wrong.

I would have to say the following has been demonstrated day in day out with all kinds of music formats:

1. The speakers are extremely musical and inviting with all music formats. I really can’t find something about them that I don’t like!

2. They are well balanced both at low volume and at high volume, which is an unusual comment since most passive speakers have a sweet spot volume and when you go below they sound flat and lifeless. The ear and most drivers are non-linear so perhaps there is some software magic in the background. No idea…. but I like the net result. It is very well behaved and as I said above very musical.

3. They are also extremely “clear” akin to an electrostatic driver. I have heard on a few occasions an instrument in the background I had not remembered hearing before during past sessions. Perhaps it is just old age. LOL

4. This clarity of sound makes it very easy to up the volume without realizing how really loud you have the SPL. This is a common observation with good sound systems. Distortion gives us audio clues that we are “loud”, not so much with the BAX - Signature combo.

Really that is it. One very happy customer.

Well done James and team.

Cheers
Drew
Old 07-24-2017, 11:32 PM

Hi Folks,

We now have a section on our website regarding the Bryston Active Speakers

james

http://bryston.com/products/active/Active_System.html
Old 08-07-2017, 01:16 PM

SUBJECT: Bryston Middle T Active … Dario in Italy

August 2017

Hi James,

I have finally had the opportunity to test for a few weeks the Bryston Active Middle T loudspeakers system.

GEAR:

• Bryston 4B3 cubed power amp for low + another Bryston 4B3 Cubed for midrange + Bryston 2.5B3 Cubed for the high frequencies.

• BAX-1 Digital Electronic Crossover

• Bryston Middle T Active Speakers

It hasn't been an easy task because for the first time in my life (I have owned a lot of expensive gear and auditioned much more at shows and at friend's homes) with this Bryston setup I kept hearing to music itself and not to the electronics involved in sound reproduction.

This to say the quality is so high in terms of timbre, with amazing dynamics and huge but believable soundstage the music really seems played as I remembered at live concerts.
All the instruments seem in the right place, perfectly located in the stage with razor shape definition.

I mainly listen to Classical music, Blues and Jazz with a strong preference to medium/small acoustic ensembles, so a performance so natural and realistic is really a must!

James, I really think going active is the future if a great leap forward in music reproduction is the final goal.

Dario Camuzzini
Italy

Last edited by James Tanner - Bryston; 08-07-2017 at 03:59 PM.
Old 08-08-2017, 01:16 PM

SUBJECT: Bryston Active System – The Inner Ear

August, 2017

THE COMPONENTS FOR WELL-TEMPERED AUDIO — TRI-AMPED LOUDSPEAKERS

Last weekend, I listened to three well-arranged audio systems at Bryston’s V/P James Tanners home.

The Bryston Middle Ts driven with the Bryston 28B Cubed mono blocks in room 1.

The Bryston A2’s with the 7B Cubed mono blocks in room 2.

Finally, in room 3 the Active Model T with the new (and amazing) 3-channel model 21B mono blocks. Each 21B amp is actually a 7B Cubed and a 4B Cubed in one chassis.

A pair or 21B amplifiers will drive the Model Ts in an active configuration whereby the bass drivers are fed with the 7B and the midrange and tweeters are handled by the 4B and of course an active system needs an electronic crossover so the Bryston BAX-1 Digital Crossover.

It was the winning system and, although powered by more electronics than the other two systems, it rendered the musical material exceptionally well with an organic quality that almost completely transcended the complicated system arrangement.

The stunning performance made it impossible to find a signature sound and rivaled, possible outperformed, some the best audio I have ever heard!!!

Ernie Fisher
The Inner Ear Magazine
Old 08-10-2017, 07:09 AM

Hi James

I purchased the Active Middle T's recently.

I followed your suggestion and I moved the active Middle Ts a little bit wider apart, so now the speakers are almost 2.5 meters far from each other.

Wow...! I understand the importance of off axis response, as the soundstage is bigger, even more realistic while the center focus is still fantastic.

I continue to be amazed how much control at low frequencies and how similar to real life the musical reproduction is listening to active Middle Ts. The coherence is so perfect the speakers actually disappear.

Thanks.
Old 08-18-2017, 11:07 AM

SUBJECT: New Bryston Active Speaker Dealer

August, 2017

Hi Folks,

I am very pleased to announce the appointment of another dedicated Bryston Active Speaker Dealer.

Welcome to: ‘Audio By Mark Jones’

Mark has a fully ‘Active Bryston System’ on display consisting of the following:

• Bryston Model T Expresso Walnut Active Speakers

• Bryston BAX-1 3-way Active Digital Crossover

• Six channels of Bryston Amplification

Having a dedicated listening room to allow customers to hear how much better Active Speakers can sound is paramount and I thank Mark for his commitment to this concept.

In a market where customers are asking for more value added from their dealer the in-home setup and calibrated active Bryston speaker system is a perfect fit.

“James, keeping in mind that I am accustom to the best gear on the planet --- CH Precision, Tenor, Magico, Kronos etc… These Active Bryston Model T’s sound just awesome !!!”

Mark Jones
Audio By Mark Jones
http://www.audiobymarkjones.ca/bryst...-in-the-house/
Old 09-06-2017, 11:14 AM

Hi Folks,

Just got our first order for an Active Model T system for Norway !!!

james
Old 09-23-2017, 06:40 AM

SUBJECT: Absolute Sound - Middle T Active Demo

Hi Folks,

AUSPICIOUS DEBUT!!!

Nice response to our Bryston Middle T Active system demo from The Absolute Sound Magazine

Check it out on page 112 in the October 2017 issue of TAS!
Old 10-09-2017, 06:56 PM

Today I took a break from cooking Canadian Thanksgiving dinner and sat out on my front porch to drink a coffee.

Supertamp was playing in the living room. I was amazed by the sound mix so far away. Base mids and highs all were balanced and sounded just fine.

It made me reflect that the Bryston T with BAX are the best all around speakers, most consistently musical, I have ever owned. This is referenced against solutions I still own costing many times more.

Don't just take my word for it. Please take the time to go to TAVES in TO this coming weekend and listen for yourself. ( My assumption is they will have a demo, but I don't know, just guessing).

I predict Active Crossover two channel solutions are going to flourish when the message finally gets out. Hats off to the pioneers like James.

Cheers
Drew W.
Old 10-17-2017, 08:44 AM

SUBJECT: New Bryston Active Speaker Dealer

October, 2017

Hi Folks,

I am very pleased to announce the appointment of another dedicated Bryston Active Speaker Dealer.

Welcome to Audio Ark in Edmonton Alberta

Audio Ark will have a fully ‘Active Bryston System’ on display consisting of the following:

• Bryston Model T Walnut Active Speakers

• Bryston BAX-1 3-way Active Digital Crossover

• Six channels of Bryston Amplification

Having a dedicated listening room to allow customers to hear how much better Active Speakers can sound is paramount and I thank Audio Ark for their commitment to this concept.

In a market where customers are asking for more value added from their dealer the in-home setup and calibrated active Bryston speaker system is a perfect fit.