Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Bryston Audio

Bryston Audio Unlimited, Unprecedented, Unequalled

Old 07-24-2017, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiohippo View Post
Hmmm.....

That doesn’t look good [emoji37]
Old 07-25-2017, 08:38 AM

"You have to let it all go, Neo. Fear, doubt, and disbelief. Free your mind." Morpheus
Old 08-09-2017, 11:42 AM

Default IN/OUT display

On the display screen when it display IN: Dolby Digital 5.1 and OUT: 5.1
Is that normal? Should it not display OUT: Dolby Digital 5.1 ?
Old 08-09-2017, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ollie View Post
On the display screen when it display IN: Dolby Digital 5.1 and OUT: 5.1

Is that normal? Should it not display OUT: Dolby Digital 5.1 ?

The signal that comes in is a digital signal encoded as Dolby Digital. Then it is decoded (converted) into an analog signal by the DAC inside the SP3.
What goes out is analog 5.1. So the display is correct.
Old 08-22-2017, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Tanner - Bryston View Post
Hi Folks,

We have already upgraded production SP3 with new high res USBX 192/24 with DSD 1x,2x.

We are now evaluating the HDMI upgrade paths. Due to certain restriction inherent in the new HDMI board replacement used by the SP3, Bryston production is facing the following choices.

Which would be your preferred implementation: 1, 2 or 3?

1. Upgrade SP3 using the new HSR72Q HDMI board and discontinue existing HSR82P HDMI board.

Advantages:
a) implements HDCP 2.2 copy prevention standard on all 7 inputs (and one output).
b) support all 4K video modes as per HDMI 2.0 standard (600MHz clock)
c) supports High Dynamic Range video (HDR)

Disadvantages
A) no DSD via HDMI
B) 7 inputs rather than 8.

2. Do not upgrade SP3 with new HDMI, use existing HSR82P HDMI board as is.

Advantages:
a) capable of playing native DSD 1x through HDMI
b) has 8 inputs (rather than 7)

Disadvantages
A) implements HDCP 2.2 on only 1 input (and one output).
B) supports only the most common 4K video modes but not all, a subset of HDMI 2.0 standard (300MHz clock).
C) does not support HDR

3. Upgrade SP3 using the new HSR72Q HDMI board but keep existing HSR82P HDMI board in production as a special customer-selectable option .

Advantages:
a) combines advantages of scheme 1 and 2 albeit not in the same unit, a customer has to select between HSR72Q with full video features versus less video capability but DSD over HDMI made possible.

Disadvantages
A) Higher production costs which translates into higher cost for customers.
1 Please Please Please
Old 08-27-2017, 10:10 AM

When is this expected to become available? I’d love to have #1. And what’s it going to cost?
Old 09-10-2017, 01:37 AM

For the folks at Bryston- would a coupon for a free upgrade be possible if buying a new unit?

NAD did this while they were preparing to launch the 4K module. I understand that those with SP3 will have to pay for the upgrade but to drop near $10k and a few months later drop another $1k for an upgrade seems a bit crazy.

I am very interested in a new unit but if purchasing new the upgrade should come as part of admission.

Thanks
Old 09-10-2017, 01:00 PM
AA Founder, Legend AV Owner

DrunkPenguin... Welcome to AA!
MX136, MC1.2KW(10) MC2KW(2), MCD1100, MS750(2) MVP881, C1000C/P/T, MPC1500, HT-2 SUBS(2) HT3F(2) WS350(2) XRT2K, XCS2K, XR27(2) XCS350(2) JL GOTHAM v2 SUBS(2) SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, LUMAGEN RADIANCE SCALER, SONY VPH-G90U 4K PROJECTOR, STEWART 120" MOTORIZED SCREEN, CINEMA-TECH SEATING, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Reference System: ACCUPHASE A300 AMPS, C3900 PRE-AMP, DP1000 CD/SACD TRANSPORT, DC1000 DIGITAL PROCESSOR, DG-68 DIGITAL EQUALIZER, T1200 FM STEREO TUNER, PS1230 POWER SUPPLY, HRS-SXR CUSTOM RACK w/ M3X SHELVES, TAD REFERENCE ONE MK2 LOUDSPEAKERS, WW PLATINUM CABLES
CAPE COD

MX150, MC501(2) MC1.2KW(10) MC2301(2) MR88, MVP881, MCD1100, MDA1000, C1000C/P/T, MPC1500, ESOTERIC K-01X 30th ANNIVERSARY (BLACK) SACD/CD PLAYER, G02-X CLOCK, HT3F(2) XRT2K, XCS2K, XR27(2) JL GOTHAM v2 SUBS(2) JL FATHOM F113v2 SUBS(4) SOUND ANCHOR STANDS(2) KALEIDESCAPE STRATO & TERRA SERVERS 80-TB, LUMAGEN RADIANCE SCALER, SONY VPH-G90U 4K PROJECTOR, STEWART 120" SCREEN, SONUS FABER STRADIVARI, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, FORTRESS SEATING, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Analog Rig: CLEARAUDIO INNOVATION WOOD, UNIVERSAL ARM w/ Da VINCI' CART, 2nd UNIVERSAL ARM w/ GOLDFINGER STATEMENT CART, HRS-MXR REFERENCE RACK-GLOSS BLACK w/ M3X SHELVES, AESTHETIX RHEA SIG PHONO-PRE, BRYSTON BHA-1 HEADPHONE AMP, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Reference System: BURMESTER 911MK3 AMP(3), 088 PRE-AMP, 089 CD PLAYER, 100 PHONO PRE-AMP, 948 POWER CONDITIONER, ACCUPHASE DG-68 VOICING EQUALIZER, AVID ACUTUS REFERENCE SP TT, GRAHAM PHANTOM II SUPREME ARM, BENZ MICRO LP-S CART, GRANDIOSO P1X/D1X STACK, G1X RUBIDIUM MASTER CLOCK, N05 NETWORK PLAYER, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, HRS-SXR CUSTOM RACK w/ M3X SHELVES, SONUS FABER AIDA SPEAKERS, JL FATHOM F113v2 SUBS(2) SOUND ANCHOR STANDS(2) WW PLATINUM CABLES

Library System: GRANDIOSO M1 MONOBLOCK AMPS, C1 LINESTAGE PRE-AMP, K1X CD/SACD PLAYER, G1 MASTER RUBIDIUM CLOCK, E02 PHONO-PRE, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, AERIAL ACOUSTICS 20T V2, AERIAL SW12 SUBS(2), CANTON REF K1’s, VPI HRX TT w/ SDS POWER SUPPLY, ORTOFON CADENZA BLACK CART, KLAUDIO RCM, SHUNYATA DENALI 6000/S v2, SHUNYATA OMEGA QR’s, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Esoteric/Bryston System: ESOTERIC C02-X PRE-AMP, P-02X TRANSPORT, D02-X DAC, G02-X CLOCK, BRYSTON 28B3 CUBED MONOBLOCK AMPS(4), BRYSTON BHA-1 HEADPHONE AMP, SHUNYATA DENALI 6000/S v2(2) EVEREST 8000 POWER CONDITIONER(2) ALTAIRA CG & SG HUBS, AMR-DP777-SE DAC, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, TAD REFERENCE ONE MK2 LOUDSPEAKERS, QUADRASPIRE RACK, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Accuphase/Canton System: ACCUPHASE E800 INTEGRATED, DP570 CD/SACD PLAYER, T1200 FM STEREO TUNER, DG-68 VOICING EQUALIZER, PS530 POWER SUPPLY, CANTON REF K3’s, CANTON REF K5’s, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, HRS MXR REFERENCE MAHOGHANY RACK w/ M3X2 SHELVES, WW GOLD CABLES
Old 09-10-2017, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrunkPenguin View Post
For the folks at Bryston- would a coupon for a free upgrade be possible if buying a new unit?

NAD did this while they were preparing to launch the 4K module. I understand that those with SP3 will have to pay for the upgrade but to drop near $10k and a few months later drop another $1k for an upgrade seems a bit crazy.

I am very interested in a new unit but if purchasing new the upgrade should come as part of admission.

Thanks
Hi

I have a new version of the SP3 at home this weekend with the new 2.2 HDMI board and the new USB high resolution board - all seems to work well.

We should have units available shortly.

james
Old 09-10-2017, 10:44 PM

Talking

James that is great.

I am really frustrated with the selection of pre pros right now. I sold my Classe SSP-800 late last year to get 4K. I did a few other upgrades as well and to save money at the time went with an Arcam AVR. Putting Dirac aside and that mess I just am not happy with the overall sound. It's crystal clear and at times quite nice but all sounds a bit congested closed in. Instruments sound far back in the sound field. My speakers are quite resolving and pick up the weak link (KEF Reference) I think the NAD M17 is going to have a similar ultra smooth sound similar to Arcam.

I'd be in with the Classe Sigma but they went one compliant HDMI input. Huge mistake. I have Roku, a UHD player and Comcast will enter the 4K set.top box soon. Three is the minimum. I hope Bryston does not follow Classe here. It's a mistake. A potential sales mistake.

That leaves Mac, Krell Anthem and Marantz. I love Bryston gear and while no Atmos, I could live as long as you have enough compliant inputs.

I know you can't really say but are looking at next year? End of the month?

Thanks
Rick