AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Martin Logan

Martin Logan Panel Speakers Extraordinare

Old 12-12-2014, 10:34 AM

Default Recently heard Ethos

I was doing some Christmas shopping. I try to patronize my dealer even though I probably could have gotten a little better buy on the TV elsewhere. Recently they picked up ML. I had never hear a good electrostatic before. I got a really good listen. For 7,000.00 that's the best speaker I have ever heard. I couldn't fault it. It was smooth, revealing with excellent stable imaging and ambiance. It was dynamic and I was very surprised at the bass. The bass cabinet is small but the bass impact was real and the bass was extremely fast, as fast as the rest of the speaker. I was very surprised and understand why my dealer picked up ML. MY dealer also carries Wilson and B&W speakers, also some lesser brands. Any comments about what I have said would be appreciated. Also, are electrostats difficult to take care of? Are they reliable? I have to say I was impressed with what I heard
Old 12-13-2014, 02:44 AM

Stats have a magic on their own.... I've had martin logans in the past (electromotions, odyssey, cls2, sl3) and have heard the ethos and clx from the newer models...

Vocals soynd incredible and small chamber music is awasome... I know people that prefer box and other people go with stats... I like and own them both, they are just different.

Maintenance is easy, you just need to avoid smoking and vacuum them from time to time.... Stators make funny noices with dirt particules.... The models without the powered woofer need a solid amp, either tubes or solid state, while the ones with the powered woofer, like the ethos you heard, can be driven by 300b set amps and sound fantastic...

In my particular case I enjoy more the sound of the old Logans versus the new ones... Still own the cls2 and sl3, but it is just my liking (find them more "musical" and less "cold" than the newer models, a matter of taste!
Old 12-13-2014, 10:51 AM

How about the reliability? I notice that there is a new statement system arriving next year (Neolith). One of the things that struck me about the Ethos was its coherence. It seemed absolutely one piece. There is no speaker that is totally coherent. Listening to the Ethos made me think that ML has solved the coherence problem between the woofer cones and the panels. I was impressed with the resolving power of the speaker. I would appreciate anyone's comment.
Old 12-13-2014, 04:18 PM

I think reliability is the same as with other speakers... Good thing is that Martin Logan provides excepcional customer service and you can trouble shoot by phone/email if neccessry with them or even Gail Sanders and they will assist promptly. New stats come with a 5 year warranty.

And yes, Ethos and Montis have an exceptional bass integration and you can fine tune its bass to better accodate to your listening space
Old 12-13-2014, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsandovalb View Post
I think reliability is the same as with other speakers... Good thing is that Martin Logan provides excepcional customer service and you can trouble shoot by phone/email if neccessry with them or even Gail Sanders and they will assist promptly. New stats come with a 5 year warranty.

And yes, Ethos and Montis have an exceptional bass integration and you can fine tune its bass to better accodate to your listening space
The 5 year warranty may come with the higher end ML speakers but it's 3 years with the ElectroMotion.
Old 12-16-2014, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Appierto View Post
The 5 year warranty may come with the higher end ML speakers but it's 3 years with the ElectroMotion.
I can certainly understand why ML has a loyal following. I had always heard that the problem with hybrids was lack of coherence. It was a tradeoff between the lovely sound of the midrange/treble and the obviously slower bass. At least with the Ethos (it's the only ML I have heard), to my ears that is not the case. The bass was the equal of the rest of the speaker to my ears. The reliability issue bothers me a little but only a little. When I am in the market for another speaker ML will be on my short list. They are fantastic speakers from all indications.

I see why Toga owns a pair.
Old 12-16-2014, 05:41 PM

Charles, glad that you enjoyed your demo with the Logans. Myself a long time fan of stats (currently listening through M/L Spire's) know full well the magic of a properly set up pair of electrostatic speakers. I further augment the bass of my Spire's with a Velodyne DD-15 sub. Amplification is a pair of Rogue M-180 mono blocks and or my Plinius SA-102 (just depends on my mood).

While 'bsand' is correct in being able to drive the current line of hybrid models with lower powered amps one still needs to be aware of the capacitive loading and reverse imp dip of stats. With that being said, lesser designed (narrower bandwidth) tube amplification will have a rolled off effect on the upper freq.

If you want more insight on all things 'Logan' visit the gang over on the Martin Logan Owners forum as well.
Old 01-02-2015, 06:21 PM

I have owned a few MLs in my time and currently on a pair of Summit Xs for about 5 years and I find the coherence between the panel and the active bass section to be one. It could not be any better. Long live Martin Logan's!
Old 01-03-2015, 05:05 AM

My father in law had a pair of Ethos.

But I suspect the ML sound is not for everyone. There's a noticeably warmer sound to its signature which makes it very easy to listen to. Compared to something like Naim, which sounds a bit more dynamic and punchier, for instance. That said, you are likely to sit further in front of the MLs.

I've found the panel reliability in dusty/humid/warm weather to be a challenge tho.

My father in law eventually upgraded to German Physiks HRS-120 Carbon. It doesnt have a box sound either - very spacious. Hopefully with better reliability.
Old 01-05-2015, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsandovalb View Post
Stats have a magic on their own.... I've had martin logans in the past (electromotions, odyssey, cls2, sl3) and have heard the ethos and clx from the newer models...

Vocals soynd incredible and small chamber music is awasome... I know people that prefer box and other people go with stats... I like and own them both, they are just different.

Maintenance is easy, you just need to avoid smoking and vacuum them from time to time.... Stators make funny noices with dirt particules.... The models without the powered woofer need a solid amp, either tubes or solid state, while the ones with the powered woofer, like the ethos you heard, can be driven by 300b set amps and sound fantastic...

In my particular case I enjoy more the sound of the old Logans versus the new ones... Still own the cls2 and sl3, but it is just my liking (find them more "musical" and less "cold" than the newer models, a matter of taste!
Curious -- what didn't you like about the odysseys?? I assume there was something since you sold them off.... thanks tim.