AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Sonus Faber

Sonus Faber Italy's Best

Old 07-19-2009, 10:59 PM

Thanks everyone! I do enjoy them immensely. I won't be looking into loudspeakers for a long time now. Pre-amp and power-amp are next
Old 07-20-2009, 10:14 AM

Tommy C very very nice...

I agree with Dan,.. I thought I was watching a most lovely Italian segnorita... getting undressed...

ENJOY
Old 07-20-2009, 10:27 AM
Chief Toneologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyC View Post
Thanks everyone! I do enjoy them immensely. I won't be looking into loudspeakers for a long time now. Pre-amp and power-amp are next
If you are in a hurry and your budget allows, I'd talk to the Master for a new pair of 501s.

If not in a hurry, perhaps you can find a pair used pair MC501s for $5-6K you'll be set for a loooong time without spending an obscene amount of money. I think that used 501s are one of the best deals in audio: monoblocks, McIntosh, 500W, 3D glass, run cool and sound warm.

Alberto
Old 07-20-2009, 11:19 AM

Beautiful speakers!!!!!!!!

Please let us know how the sound compares to the old B&W's...

Congrats on a very worthy upgrade!
Old 07-20-2009, 12:07 PM

Last edited by b3n; 02-15-2022 at 02:02 AM.
Old 07-20-2009, 04:28 PM

I am officially jealous and jones'ing for my own pair. I love my Auditors but the GM's are drop dead good looking. A real classy speaker. Your pictures have allowed me to appreciate the beauty of the columns as well, a real work of art. I never before quite appreciated the rake on the column. They must sound outstanding...in my small room, these speakers are probably the pinnacle of sound I could achieve. Congratulations and enjoy arguably one of the worlds BEST speakers,

Preamp: McIntosh C1100T/C1100C, McIntosh MX180
Amp: McIntosh MC611 (2), MC601 (3), MI254
Digital: McIntosh D1100, McIntosh MCT450, Meridian 808v6, Aurender N20, Aurender ACS10, Oppo 203
Analog: McIntosh MT10, Hana Umami Red
Phono preamp: Simaudio Moon 610LP, 820S
Signal cables: WW Gold Eclipse 7 speaker cables; Shunyata Sigma v2 XLR (2); Sigma v1 XLR (2), Transparent Ref XL (MM2) XLR; WW Silver Eclipse 7 (4)
Digital cables: Shunyata Omega USB, Omega Ethernet, Sigma Ethernet; WW Platinum 7 Coax, AES/EBU
Switch: Innuos PhoenixNet
Power: Audioquest Niagara 7000, Audioquest 5000, Audioquest Dragon, Hurricane PC, Shunyata Alpha HC, AQ NRG Edison outlets, (8) 20 amp dedicated lines, 125 amp subpanel
Speakers: Wilson Sasha DAW, Dynaudio Contour 30, Dynaudio Contour 25C
Subs: REL s/812 (6), REL s/510 (3)
Accessories: HRS M3X2 shelf (MT10), Stillpoints Ultra II v2 w/ bases (21), Ultra SS (12), Mini (12), LPi v1
Sound treaments: Artnovion
Old 07-20-2009, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alberto View Post
If you are in a hurry and your budget allows, I'd talk to the Master for a new pair of 501s.

If not in a hurry, perhaps you can find a pair used pair MC501s for $5-6K you'll be set for a loooong time without spending an obscene amount of money. I think that used 501s are one of the best deals in audio: monoblocks, McIntosh, 500W, 3D glass, run cool and sound warm.

Alberto
Alberto... I have a few options that I'm considering. For pre-amp, C500T is the one I really want. For power-amp, it'll be either MC501 or MC275. I really like the hassle free MC501, but I can't ignore MC275's mid range magic. Hard decision. I'm not in a hurry though. I want to buy right the first time
Old 07-20-2009, 07:28 PM

I've lived with both the 275 and the 501s on the Guarneri M's.
Get the 501s. The midrange of the 501s is not far behind but the speakers will come alive with the 501s top to bottom.
Old 07-20-2009, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by two dot View Post
Beautiful speakers!!!!!!!!

Please let us know how the sound compares to the old B&W's...

Congrats on a very worthy upgrade!
two dot... Thanks! I actually had these speakers for almost a year now. Here's my take on the speakers (I posted similar findings in the B&W 805S thread).

GM is so musical. Before upgrading to the GM, I listened to 1 or 2 hours of music per week. Now I listen to >1 hour of music per day. I had to stop only because I need to get other work done

String, vocal, and small Jazz ensemble are several of GM's specialty. They sound so fluid and relaxing with these loudspeakers.

GM sounds big. It's hard to imaging they are bookshelf speakers. Their bass is quite deep and tight.

GM is also very transparent. I hear many things I have not heard before. It is a treat to be able to re-explore my entire music collection.

Imaging is also wonderful with GM. The sound is "free." Voices and instruments emanate from no where. There is no need to close my eyes. The speakers disappear even with eyes open

Overall, GM is a definite upgrade. They cost almost 5x the price of 805S, so they better be good lol.

Oh, did I mention GM is gorgeous? The red violin glossy coating was painstakingly applied, dried, and sanded multiple times over several weeks. They were dried under natural condition outdoor. So when it rained, they had to postpone the schedule. My dealer said the red violin finish incorporated some ox blood in it, I'm not sure if he's joking or not haha.
Old 07-20-2009, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by j3brow View Post
I am officially jealous and jones'ing for my own pair. I love my Auditors but the GM's are drop dead good looking. A real classy speaker. Your pictures have allowed me to appreciate the beauty of the columns as well, a real work of art. I never before quite appreciated the rake on the column. They must sound outstanding...in my small room, these speakers are probably the pinnacle of sound I could achieve. Congratulations and enjoy arguably one of the worlds BEST speakers,
I've seen a couple GM on Audiogon for 8 to 9K NEW. If you can find it at this price, you should grab it! It's one of the best 2-way speakers out there in both look and sound