AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Turntables & Vinyl > Vinyl & Accessories

Vinyl & Accessories Food for the Soul

Old 01-04-2013, 01:03 PM

Default audio desk clean machine vs thin or dirty used lp's or different soaps

I have a lot of used records taken in trade for an old surround sound system. i hear that this ultrasonic cleaner may not be suited for dirty old lp's or "thin"- dont know if this means 150 gram or regular 180 gram records.
With dirty records do you clean with your old machine or at the sink first? Do you have problems with thin lp's? if so what would be the remedy?

Anyone using different soaps? I have been "tought" to use an enzyme cleaners then a regular cleaner-2 soaps. the audio desk is only one soap is that sufficient??

thanks for thoughts or advice-wish the unit was cheaper, hope it is now reliable. could be my tax return present to myself
Old 01-04-2013, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlw3 View Post
I have a lot of used records taken in trade for an old surround sound system. i hear that this ultrasonic cleaner may not be suited for dirty old lp's or "thin"- dont know if this means 150 gram or regular 180 gram records.
With dirty records do you clean with your old machine or at the sink first? Do you have problems with thin lp's? if so what would be the remedy?

Anyone using different soaps? I have been "tought" to use an enzyme cleaners then a regular cleaner-2 soaps. the audio desk is only one soap is that sufficient??

thanks for thoughts or advice-wish the unit was cheaper, hope it is now reliable. could be my tax return present to myself
Audio Desk can do it all. It feels the record thickness & adjusts the rollers accordingly. You can run long cycles & it doesn't hurt to double dose with cleaning fluid. It is also totally hands free, so you can leave it alone to do its thing, just like a dishwasher.

AndyPandy has been experimenting with another heavier duty cleaning solution for extremely dirty "gummy" records with success too.

Last edited by MyPal; 01-04-2013 at 01:24 PM.
Old 01-10-2013, 03:24 AM

Personally I pre-clean with a Discwasher to get most of the dust and heavier crud off, then use the Audio Desk.

Once a record has been "pre cleaned" like this, it's exclusively Audio Desk from that point on.
Old 01-10-2013, 05:38 AM
A happy little vegemite..

My record collection is mainly 1960 - 1977 Decca, DG, Archive, Connoissuer etc. All are second hand and some were in pretty bad shape. The Vinyl Cleaner cleans all record sizes with ease - there was a problem with the early units and different record sizes - since then Reiner has reprogrammed the proceesor chip and all is well.

I too used to pre clean with an enzyme cleaner - makes a huge difference. One day I thought '"why not tip a couple capfuls of the enzyme cleaner into the Vinyl Cleaner?" The result was very positive - the records come out just as well as if I had precleaned.

Using any solution other than that manufactured by Glass is not recommended by Reiner - but I always feel recommendations are just that. The only thing that has changed is the rollers that rotate the LP squeek a little now when in use: makes a bit more noise. Why? no idea.

Anyways - if you have alot of records to clean, accept no imitations. It may not clean quite as well as a Monks/ Loricraft (dunno - jury is out on that) but its way more convenient and much faster. I like being able to turn it on and go away and do something else. You can clean a lot of records quickly.

Music washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life.

Berthold Auerbach

Last edited by AndyPandy; 01-10-2013 at 05:42 AM.