AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Audio & Video > CD Players, Digital Music & Servers

CD Players, Digital Music & Servers Aurender, dCs, Esoteric, Lumin.

Old 12-24-2017, 07:06 PM

Default Which sampling rate for purchasing tracks?

I've got my music streaming set up finalized and begun upgrading my music library from 16 bit 44.1 hz files to higher def files - The options I am considering are 24 bit in either 96 hz or 192 hz (DSD is not in the equation)

I have a few of both the 96 hz and 192 hz files and they leave the 16 bit files in the dust - The difference in quality between 96 hz or 192 hz in some cases is small but in some cases the 192 hz files have more sound stage - Of course the file size of the 192 Hz is almost 2 1/2 times the size of the 96 hz so they chew up hard drive space - I'm guessing there is no general rule and that the source is more important than the sampling rate but I'm curious what other folks are using regarding these two sampling rates

Thoughts ?

PS --- Also wondering if Ivan has started a music downloading service yet
Old 12-24-2017, 07:10 PM
Racing Hoopties

You have it nailed. In my experience, the source is more important than 96hz vs 192hz.
Main Equipment: Kharma Elegance dB11-S, JL Audio F113v2 X 2, Block Audio Line & Mono SE Amplification, Bricasti M21 DAC, Antipodes Kala K-50 Server, Clearaudio Performance SE. Satisfy tonearm & Maestro Wood MM cartridge.
Power: Shunyata Everest 8000, Sigma XC v2, Sigma NR v2, Block Audio PCs, Defender, ADDPowr Wizard
Grounding: Shunyata Altaira CGS - 4 X Alpha CGS cables,
Network : Supra Cat 8+, Twin (Nenon) Modified Buffalo GS2016 Switches, Keces P3 LPSU,
Cables: Wireworld Platinum 8 USB, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse 8 Speaker cables, 6M & 1M Tubulus Concentus ICs,
Other:Two PSI Audio AVAA C20, Multiple GIK products, Stillpoint Apertures, Stillpoint Minis and Ultra SS, Three 20 Amp lines, Furutech GTX - Gold outlets, Adona Rack
Old 12-24-2017, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crwilli View Post
You have it nailed. In my experience, the source is more important than 96hz vs 192hz.

+1
Old 12-25-2017, 11:46 AM

My experience matches yours. The 96/24 gets you a practically inaudible difference to the 192/24. Either improves upon the 44/16 of rebook. I have read that getting the word length above 20 is more important than 96 or 192kHz. I suppose that’s what I’m hearing as the improvement.

As others have said, though, some of my best sounding digital is red book. Increased sampling can’t match a beautifully engineered and mastered recording. However, I have tested higher res downloads to the original redbook, using level matching, and the hires sounded better.
Old 12-25-2017, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garytn View Post
Increased sampling can’t match a beautifully engineered and mastered recording.
Old 12-25-2017, 11:55 AM

Pity that you have decided against DSD my friend. For me, all I purchase these days is DSD and to the maximum that's on offering. Say, for instance with NativeDSD if you buy DSD128, DSD256 or whatever you can also download all of the lower rate versions. I find that handy for my PS Audio's Bridge II as it outputs DSD64. But also I can convert to PCM at any time using f.i. the Tascam Hi Res Editor.

Having said that, I can totally live with 44.1/24 and up.
Old 12-25-2017, 12:30 PM

I tend to acquire downloads either in the original resolution recorded or in a higher resolution if, and only if, it has been remastered from a RedBook original.

So, if NativeDSD indicates it was recorded at, say, DSD64, that's what I buy. Mere upsampling I can do myself (but do not).

In fact, I tend to prefer to convert all DSD/DXD to 24/192PCM in order to apply DiracLive EQ because its effect on the audible results is greater than any format differences. There are few exceptions.

Last edited by Kal Rubinson; 12-25-2017 at 12:33 PM.
Old 12-25-2017, 08:53 PM

Hmmmm .... maybe I am not understanding DSD correctly - I was told my equipment wouldn't support playback of that format - My signal chain is all hard wired:

Synology 216 NAS > Auralic Aries Bridge > Gold WireWorld Coaxil > McIntosh 100 DAC > Gold WireWorld Eclipse Stereo Connects > McIntosh MX 150

Am I missing something ?
Old 12-25-2017, 09:16 PM
Racing Hoopties

Quote:
Originally Posted by all2ears View Post
Hmmmm .... maybe I am not understanding DSD correctly - I was told my equipment wouldn't support playback of that format - My signal chain is all hard wired:

Synology 216 NAS > Auralic Aries Bridge > Gold WireWorld Coaxil > McIntosh 100 DAC > Gold WireWorld Eclipse Stereo Connects > McIntosh MX 150

Am I missing something ?
Yes, Your D100 will NOT decode DSD files.

Does your Auralic have the capability to downsample? If so, the next question is can it read DSD files and then downsample?

That is how the former post would work.
Main Equipment: Kharma Elegance dB11-S, JL Audio F113v2 X 2, Block Audio Line & Mono SE Amplification, Bricasti M21 DAC, Antipodes Kala K-50 Server, Clearaudio Performance SE. Satisfy tonearm & Maestro Wood MM cartridge.
Power: Shunyata Everest 8000, Sigma XC v2, Sigma NR v2, Block Audio PCs, Defender, ADDPowr Wizard
Grounding: Shunyata Altaira CGS - 4 X Alpha CGS cables,
Network : Supra Cat 8+, Twin (Nenon) Modified Buffalo GS2016 Switches, Keces P3 LPSU,
Cables: Wireworld Platinum 8 USB, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse 8 Speaker cables, 6M & 1M Tubulus Concentus ICs,
Other:Two PSI Audio AVAA C20, Multiple GIK products, Stillpoint Apertures, Stillpoint Minis and Ultra SS, Three 20 Amp lines, Furutech GTX - Gold outlets, Adona Rack

Last edited by crwilli; 12-25-2017 at 10:13 PM.
Old 12-25-2017, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by all2ears View Post

Am I missing something ?
Dunno. I am unfamiliar with your specific equipment but their individual specs should tell you what you need to know. In addition, it is the narrowest portal which will define what you can do. (Forget Dirac.)