AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Audio & Video > CD Players, Digital Music & Servers

CD Players, Digital Music & Servers Aurender, dCs, Esoteric, Lumin.

Old 12-24-2017, 02:23 PM

Default Setting Up My First Streaming System - Advice Needed

Hi all,

I am looking for a way to stream my music and access my digital file libraries from one, simple device.

I currently have a mac-mini connected to my pre-amp using USB, but every time I want to listen to music, I need to turn the TV on and use my keyboard and mouse to navigate which I find super cumbersome.

I was looking at some inexpensive ways to solve it by adding a dedicated streamer (Node 2 or Sonica) which will allow me to have an interface (using the app) to control everything. I also looked at more expensive options like the Mcintosh MB50

I then started reading about Roon and decided to try it. I now have Roon installed on my mac-mini and I use the Roon app on my ipad to control it all. What I did lose with this solution is access to Spotify (which I use).

So my questions is this: is there any reason to buy a dedicated streamer if I already have a mac-mini + Roon managing my library? I do not need a DAC (using my Mcintosh DAC), so are there any advantages to not using a computer?

Is there any way to still enjoy Spotify? (controlling it remotely through my iPad).

Sorry for the basic questions, trying to figure out what are the best tools that I have at my disposal to do this.

Thank you in advance!
Old 12-24-2017, 04:59 PM

Bump. Anyone?
Old 12-24-2017, 05:31 PM

A Node 2 would allow you to do a few things.

1) you can use the Bluesound app (BlueOS) and stream Spotify to your DAC.
2) you can use the Node 2 as a Roon endpoint as well. This way, you can remove the computer from your audio rack and put it in another room. Will help with isolation of noise, vibration, etc. (the Node 2 can be connected WiFi or Ethernet).
3) you can switch between the Roon controller and the BlueOS on your mobile device and stream from whatever your sources are (Nas, HDD, tidal, Spotify, etc).
Old 12-24-2017, 07:34 PM

Based on the options you're looking at, I think it depends on how good your Wi-Fi signal is. If your system is close to your router, the Node 2 will do a very good job of streaming through your preamp's DAC. It might have an issue with maintaining a strong wireless signal if your system is on a different floor level than your router like mine is. I'd suggest a wired Ethernet connection to the Node 2 if that's the case. Although much more expensive, I found the MB50 to maintain a much better wireless connection and its synergy with other McIntosh components is stellar. Its DAC is much better than the Node 2's and I found it to actually sound better than my preamp's DAC on different types of music. I have it connected to my preamp via balanced XLR cables to use the MB50 DAC and a Toslink cable to use my preamp's DAC. Spotify Premium sounds excellent through it at CD quality. I think the Node 2 is one of the best streamer bargains available, but for whatever the reason, the MB50 just consistently does a better job for me in my main system.
Old 12-24-2017, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayvis View Post
Based on the options you're looking at, I think it depends on how good your Wi-Fi signal is. If your system is close to your router, the Node 2 will do a very good job of streaming through your preamp's DAC. It might have an issue with maintaining a strong wireless signal if your system is on a different floor level than your router like mine is. I'd suggest a wired Ethernet connection to the Node 2 if that's the case. Although much more expensive, I found the MB50 to maintain a much better wireless connection and its synergy with other McIntosh components is stellar. Its DAC is much better than the Node 2's and I found it to actually sound better than my preamp's DAC on different types of music. I have it connected to my preamp via balanced XLR cables to use the MB50 DAC and a Toslink cable to use my preamp's DAC. Spotify Premium sounds excellent through it at CD quality. I think the Node 2 is one of the best streamer bargains available, but for whatever the reason, the MB50 just consistently does a better job for me in my main system.
Thank you guys, this is super helpful.
My plan is to connect the Node 2 using toslink to my pre amp and use the DAC that I have in my C2600. Totally get the advantage and option to use two DACs as needed/wanted.

I am relaying on a relatively good WiFi reception in the upper floor of my home (router is on the bottom floor) but it’s not great and unfortunately I can not run a wire. So maybe the MB50 would fit the bill better.

What I am not fully understanding yet is what would be the sound quality difference between running Room on my Mac mini vs. switching to the Node 2 or MB50 using the same C2600 DAC.

If I keep running Roon on my Mac mini, should I invest in a better USB AtoB cable? I can throw a couple of hundreds of dollars at one but not sure whether I’ll notice a difference.

And lastly, what would you recommend to be the best way to rip all my CDs and create a digital library? Which software, codec, settings? I have around 500 CDs.

Thank you so much for all your help.
Old 12-24-2017, 09:34 PM

I would compare the built in Dac on the Node 2 with the C2600. Just go analog out from the Node and see which one you like better.

I would get the Node 2 primarily because even if you dont like it, you can probably sell it for at most a $75 loss so it wont be a huge hit. They resell very quickly.

I personally dont see a huge sonic difference between running the Roon core on my mac mini as compared to streaming direct from the Node 2. I love the Roon interface, i find BlueOS not as nice.

For ripping, I assume you'll use your MacMini with a superdisc? If so, i like Max as a ripper. http://sbooth.org/Max/ . I would rip in AIFF and Flac. You can rip to more than one format at a time, it is just a lot of storage space. The Node will play all of them, they are all lossless. Problem with Flac is it isnt an Apple product and will only play on the iphone X and 8. But it would be good to have it while you are ripping. As far as i know, it doesnt play on the ipads. Just about every streamer i have seen plays both formats. Aiff plays on all ios devices, so you may want to go that way? Do some research. I went with AIFF. Go into the preference for Max at chose formats and determine the settings you want for each format. I personally went with the standard settings.

Finally, if you are bypassing the node 2 dac, i would go coax out, not USB.

Good luck.
Old 12-24-2017, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubytuesday View Post
I would compare the built in Dac on the Node 2 with the C2600. Just go analog out from the Node and see which one you like better.

I would get the Node 2 primarily because even if you dont like it, you can probably sell it for at most a $75 loss so it wont be a huge hit. They resell very quickly.

I personally dont see a huge sonic difference between running the Roon core on my mac mini as compared to streaming direct from the Node 2. I love the Roon interface, i find BlueOS not as nice.

For ripping, I assume you'll use your MacMini with a superdisc? If so, i like Max as a ripper. http://sbooth.org/Max/ . I would rip in AIFF and Flac. You can rip to more than one format at a time, it is just a lot of storage space. The Node will play all of them, they are all lossless. Problem with Flac is it isnt an Apple product and will only play on the iphone X and 8. But it would be good to have it while you are ripping. As far as i know, it doesnt play on the ipads. Just about every streamer i have seen plays both formats. Aiff plays on all ios devices, so you may want to go that way? Do some research. I went with AIFF. Go into the preference for Max at chose formats and determine the settings you want for each format. I personally went with the standard settings.

Finally, if you are bypassing the node 2 dac, i would go coax out, not USB.

Good luck.
Thank you very much Ruby. I’ll start experimenting right away.
Old 12-25-2017, 10:13 AM
Retired

While I'm not currently interested in streaming, other than radio, dBpoweramp https://www.dbpoweramp.com/ has been recommended to me by several in this thread: https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=41607. Once I've conquered ripping CDs I'll move on to ripping LPs and streaming.
Canton Reference 9 Clearaudio SM Pro Focal Bathys JLA 10" Dominion Kuzma Stabi S w/MC & MM Magnepan 1,7i McIntosh MA8950 & MR88 Oppo 203 Roon Nucleus Rose Hifi RS150B Shunyata Gemini-4 Sony ST-A6B, TA-F6B, ST-J75 & PS-X75 Sorane SA1.2 & TA-1L Stillpoints LP1v2 WW Pt, Au & Ag
Old 12-25-2017, 11:44 AM

Killergurt, I suggest that you actually try a few players before deciding on one. You can buy a Node 2, MB50, or a variety of others through Music Direct and try them out for 60 days. They offer free shipping to you but you'll have to pay for return shipping if you decide to send a unit back. I tried three different items from them before deciding and the process was extremely easy. It cost me about $55 total for the return shipping on two of the items. It helps that I live in the Midwest and Music Direct is located in Chicago. They ship extremely fast and I receive items the next day. It was well worth the $55 to make sure I got the right streamer for my system. I love to support brick & mortar audio shops but they are very scarce in my neck of the woods.
Old 12-25-2017, 12:53 PM

You also have to consider the OS, so far I’ve been impressed with the bluesound OS. The MB50 uses dts Play-Fi which I also have on anthem avm60 and I’m not a fan of the Play-Fi OS. The play fi os also ties up your phone IE..it routes through your phone while the node2 just uses the phone to control the app.