AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Audio & Video > Headphones, Personal Listening Gear

Headphones, Personal Listening Gear Personal Listening at its Best

Old 12-16-2017, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHC1 View Post
Dan, here is something for your HD800.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=Y0YwUOxW19I
I think Ivan has one but he recommends the Bryston BHA-1 instead.
Old 12-16-2017, 08:49 PM

Quote:
I think the HD600 and 650 have been loved and adored for so many years by so many that Sennheiser finds itself in a no win situation when they introduce new models. Everyone from the 600/650 fan camp wants to see a new and exciting model but yet no one wants it to sound even remotely different. What is Sennheiser to do?
I wish Senn would introduce something that sounds very similar but improves resolution and doesn't distort during the most thunderous drum solos. If they could do that, they would have a masterpiece.
Old 12-17-2017, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greekgod View Post
I wish Senn would introduce something that sounds very similar but improves resolution and doesn't distort during the most thunderous drum solos. If they could do that, they would have a masterpiece.
I'm sure you are aware but do be careful with headphone listening as prolonged exposure to 85dB and above will leave you with hearing loss in no time... With headphone listening, the SPL levels are deceiving and are usually higher than you would think.

Last edited by PHC1; 12-17-2017 at 02:04 PM.
Old 12-17-2017, 04:28 PM

Quote:
I'm sure you are aware but do be careful with headphone listening as prolonged exposure to 85dB and above will leave you with hearing loss in no time... With headphone listening, the SPL levels are deceiving and are usually higher than you would think.
Too late!...lol. I actually got my hearing tested and surprisingly it was in normal range. However, I underestimated the crazy ability of my Fostex TH-900 to go insanely loud without ever distorting. Distortion is usually my warning to turn things down but I swear I could probably blow my eardrums before I could even distort the drivers on the Fostex TH-900. I have learned to listen at a lower volume with these...

The Senns rarely distort. They just do it on two recordings I have on vinyl. Once during the drum solo for Prince's Let's Go Crazy (Special Dance Mix) and also during some synthetic drums on Sigue Sigue Sputnik's Flaunt It album. Otherwise, the Senns HD600 and HD650 have incredible bass.
Old 12-17-2017, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greekgod View Post
Too late!...lol. I actually got my hearing tested and surprisingly it was in normal range. However, I underestimated the crazy ability of my Fostex TH-900 to go insanely loud without ever distorting. Distortion is usually my warning to turn things down but I swear I could probably blow my eardrums before I could even distort the drivers on the Fostex TH-900. I have learned to listen at a lower volume with these...

The Senns rarely distort. They just do it on two recordings I have on vinyl. Once during the drum solo for Let's Go Crazy (Special Dance Mix) and also during some synthetic drums on Sigue Sigue Sputnik's Flaunt It album. Otherwise, the Senns HD600 and HD650 have incredible bass.
Are you sure it's not your cartridge?
Old 12-17-2017, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Are you sure it's not your cartridge?
Good question. I never even thought of that. I don't think so because the bass doesn't distort when listening to the same records with the Fostex headphones. Only with the Senns.
Old 12-17-2017, 04:47 PM

I would be inclined to think you are either listening way too loud with the HD650 to compensate for the lack of bass you hear out of TH900 or your cartridge really is distorting on the deep bass groves.

The HD650 and THX900 are quite different in the bass response.

Old 12-17-2017, 05:10 PM

Speaking of Fostex, I decided to add the Massdrop variant of the Fostex TH-X00 in Ebony wood to my collection. They did much work on the Fostex to bring a more even balance and smoother bass to mids transition and a gentle slope falling through the midrange and a nice smooth bump in the presence region to keep them from sounding dull and boring up top. The Ebony is a much denser wood and keeps the resonances in check and makes for a smoother sonic signature as well. Looking forward to trying my first pair of Fostex.

Old 12-17-2017, 11:05 PM

I admit that I do listen to everything way too loud. It has never been a problem with the Senns except for those two instances where I have to turn down the volume considerably. I actually bought the Fostex for the very reason of wanting a headphone that could handle any bass no matter how low and at that they excell. I do plan to upgrade my cart but I am first saving my money to upgrade my table. Hopefully, within the next couple of years.

Congrats on yet another audio purchase for the year...hehe. I haven't heard that particular model but I really love the TH900. They have super fast, tight, and thunderous bass. Noticeably higher resolution in both the bass and highs than the Senns. On the downside, they are not as smooth sounding, not as comfortable, and the midrange is noticeably recessed. A very different flavor of sound in comparison to Sennheiser. I look forward to your impressions of the TH-X00 in Ebony. If you like them, I suggest getting some Dekoni Elite ear pads for them.