AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Audio & Video > Headphones, Personal Listening Gear

Headphones, Personal Listening Gear Personal Listening at its Best

Old 12-15-2017, 11:25 PM

Default Focal Elex

New headphones from Focal. Limited to 1000 serialized units. Available Dec 18th.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9DNW7NUAnHg

Last edited by greekgod; 12-15-2017 at 11:27 PM.
Old 12-16-2017, 01:26 AM
Cool, calm scientist

Yeah, those are for Massdrop and look like a screamin' deal.
Lumin P1 streamer/DAC/preamp, Constellation Inspiration integrated TT: Michell Gyro SE MkII, SME V, Koetsu Urushi Vermilion, EAR324. Harbeth 30.2s, REL R-305, Shunyata Alpha V2 ICs, Alpha V2 SPs, Sigma XC, Sigma NRv2, Omega QR-s & Alpha NRv2 PCs, segmented Altaira SG stack w/ Alpha & Omega CGCs, Everest 8000 PD. Remote Server Room: Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark Master Clock & LPS, Alita, Battle Angel, (Akasa NUC Roon Core), iFi DC Purifiers (for SMPS used for Alita & router), Shunyata Gemini combo power distributor & Altaira-type CG GP-NR hub, Venom & Alpha CGCs, Shunyata NRv14 power cords for digital components.
Old 12-16-2017, 03:20 PM

Definitely worth the money.
Old 12-16-2017, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHC1 View Post
Definitely worth the money.
Does this mean you are going to sneak in another audio purchase for the year?...lol
Old 12-16-2017, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greekgod View Post
Does this mean you are going to sneak in another audio purchase for the year?...lol
Probably not the Elex. I already have the Utopia and Elear. Clear? Maybe but next year.
Old 12-17-2017, 12:39 AM

Here is a review of the Massdrop Elex.

https://youtu.be/FtoHJAfVLws
Old 12-18-2017, 12:57 AM

I was really tempted to go for these but I have some new Noble IEMs on the way so I’m gonna take a pass, painful though it may be.
Dynaudio Heritage Special. Uptone Audio EtherRegen Ethernet Switch. Akasa NUC 10i7 with Roon Rock. Bryston BDP-3 Digital Music Player (with 4 Tb Internal SSD and Synology DS920+ NAS)-->Holo Audio May Kitsune Edition DAC-->Shunyata Sigma USB—>Gryphon Diablo 120 Integreted Amp w Transpatent XL PC. Oppo BDP-105D and BDP-203. Power: Shunyata Hydra Sigma S12 PD. Additional Cabling: WW Silver Electra PC, WW Electra PC, Shunyata Venom 3 PC. Digital: WW Starlight Ethernet, WW Gold Starlight AES-EBU, WW Platinum Starlight USB. IC and Speaker: WW Eclipse 8.

Bedroom System
Ipad with MusicStreamer App-->Schiit Jotunheim DAC/Amp—>Audeze LCD-XC, Focal for Bentley Radiance HO, Massdrop E-MU Teak HP. AK SE 200 DAP.

Mobile Survival Kit
Astell & Kern SP1000M. Noble Kaiser Encore IEM with Double Helix Balanced cable, Westone W80 IEM w ALOaudio Ref 8 cable, Westone W60 IEM, Shure se535 Ltd with Westone Bluetooth Wireless cable-amp. Mark Levinson No. 5909 Wireless HP.
Old 12-18-2017, 01:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robfine View Post
I was really tempted to go for these but I have some new Noble IEMs on the way so I’m gonna take a pass, painful though it may be.
I guess I'm behind times but I still can't get into the IEM's
Old 12-18-2017, 01:15 AM

I fly a fair amount for work and up until the last couple of years, there really were no good sounding headphones with active noise cancellation and IEMs provided good sound with more noise reduction passively than the available headphones did actively so I guess I got used to them. I think my Shure se535 Ltd with Silver Dragon balanced (2.5 mm TRRS) sounds better than any of the headphones I have except for the Focal (Elear) and the Audeze (LCD-XC). Fit is critical but when the fit is good, the IEMs are great. BTW, I don’t use custom IEMs. For how I use them I want good noise blocking but total noise blocking would probably not be safe.
Dynaudio Heritage Special. Uptone Audio EtherRegen Ethernet Switch. Akasa NUC 10i7 with Roon Rock. Bryston BDP-3 Digital Music Player (with 4 Tb Internal SSD and Synology DS920+ NAS)-->Holo Audio May Kitsune Edition DAC-->Shunyata Sigma USB—>Gryphon Diablo 120 Integreted Amp w Transpatent XL PC. Oppo BDP-105D and BDP-203. Power: Shunyata Hydra Sigma S12 PD. Additional Cabling: WW Silver Electra PC, WW Electra PC, Shunyata Venom 3 PC. Digital: WW Starlight Ethernet, WW Gold Starlight AES-EBU, WW Platinum Starlight USB. IC and Speaker: WW Eclipse 8.

Bedroom System
Ipad with MusicStreamer App-->Schiit Jotunheim DAC/Amp—>Audeze LCD-XC, Focal for Bentley Radiance HO, Massdrop E-MU Teak HP. AK SE 200 DAP.

Mobile Survival Kit
Astell & Kern SP1000M. Noble Kaiser Encore IEM with Double Helix Balanced cable, Westone W80 IEM w ALOaudio Ref 8 cable, Westone W60 IEM, Shure se535 Ltd with Westone Bluetooth Wireless cable-amp. Mark Levinson No. 5909 Wireless HP.
Old 12-18-2017, 01:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robfine View Post
I fly a fair amount for work and up until the last couple of years, there really were no good sounding headphones with active noise cancellation and IEMs provided good sound with more noise reduction passively than the available headphones did actively so I guess I got used to them. I think my Shure se535 Ltd with Silver Dragon balanced (2.5 mm TRRS) sounds better than any of the headphones I have except for the Focal (Elear) and the Audeze (LCD-XC). Fit is critical but when the fit is good, the IEMs are great. BTW, I don’t use custom IEMs. For how I use them I want good noise blocking but total noise blocking would probably not be safe.
I'll have to check some out but a lot of times they just fall out of my ears for whatever reason.