AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Magnepan

Magnepan Full-range ribbon and planar speakers

Old 08-08-2017, 05:00 PM

Just to clarify what I said about toe in and the bass panels being 1" closer to the listening position. On AudioCircle in the Planar Forum, under topic Do You Have A Question For The Magnepan Factory, response #288, there is this from Wendell at Magnepan:

"I suggest that customers follow the instructions rather than placing too much on the drawings in the manuals. In all .7 models, the bass/midrange should be an inch or so closer to the listener than the tweeter. This means a much more radical toe-in if the tweeters are on the inside."
Old 08-09-2017, 06:24 PM

Yes my tweets are on the inside. Toe in has the bass/ mid closer. Right now I don't think I have any complaints. Bass is outstanding. The fill up the room type of bass. The ribbons are just spectacular. I have depth width and height. They are also disappearing quite readily.

Right now... I don't want to move them. lol. But there is this curiosity as they are just so sensitive to room placement.
Old 08-13-2017, 10:39 PM

So last night I put on roger waters 'Amused to Death' and well this album as many of you know has some incredible audio trickery I'll call it. But - I figure if things happen as they should then the room is just right. You have the horses galloping ... people talking right next to you ... bombs going off ...thunder. And it literally sounds like it is coming directly next to you ... behind you... thru you. I have heard this before - but last night was fantastical. The music on the album has grown on me as well over time. But like typical Roger Waters - a lot of seriousness. This isn't something you just sit down and skip around with. You gotta listen to the whole thing. Which I did.

Everything seemed to start either to the immediate left or right of my ears ...and sometimes slightly behind me. If you don't have it - consider it - and sit dead center... turn off the lights and get ready for the show. Things come out at you. The Maggie's seem to do this a lot on their own anyway.

The bass on these speakers 'blooms' and in no way is directional like a punchy cone. I have never had a speaker so connected with the room.

What a bunch of fun this is. I prob have around 140 hrs on the panels now.
Old 08-13-2017, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timeout59 View Post
Just to clarify what I said about toe in and the bass panels being 1" closer to the listening position. On AudioCircle in the Planar Forum, under topic Do You Have A Question For The Magnepan Factory, response #288, there is this from Wendell at Magnepan:

"I suggest that customers follow the instructions rather than placing too much on the drawings in the manuals. In all .7 models, the bass/midrange should be an inch or so closer to the listener than the tweeter. This means a much more radical toe-in if the tweeters are on the inside."
I'll say this. Toe in on a 29" wide speaker and defining that is difficult. Right now I would say - from the front wall - the inner edge of my speaker(tweeter) measures about 6" closer to the front wall than the outer edge. Are we calling that radical? When you consider the width of the speaker it certainly gives the appearance of it. My speakers don't really have the appearance of being aimed past my head. I think as things break in more I'll consider fiddling more with this
Old 08-13-2017, 10:59 PM

Btw Timeout. That album sounds simply phenomenal on the mags.
Old 08-14-2017, 05:37 PM

Is is a great album, love the sound of Paul Desmond's alto sax. I've been listening to that and most of their albums since high school, class of 1969!

It sounds like you have some great sound with the 20.7's congrats on that. You probably have your chair and speaker position dialed in just right, so take the following as just some interesting information. Also consider that I'm kind of a precision freak.

Instead of measuring from the wall behind the speakers, I measure from a point on the top of the back of the chair (piece of tape with a dot in the exact center of the chair). This first requires that you establish the center line down the middle of the room, that the speakers are exactly equal distance from that line, and that the center of the chair is on that line. Also before locating the exact position of the speakers, get them approximately where they should be, then try different chair positions until you find where the bass response is best. Then dial in the speaker positions.

I read Jim Smith's book and got the basics of how to do all this, but the video and watching him do it really made it click. And the laser measuring tool is critical.
Old 08-14-2017, 06:18 PM

Well I am class of 79. I will say I think we are lucky to grow up in a simple time. And oh.... the music. I was a wee lad in the 60s but buying Beatles records on my moms dime. Haha.

I am glad we keep the 2 channel spirit alive. I've done multi channel. They don't know what they're missing.

I'm loving my 20s so much. No buyers remorse here. Best decision I ever made!!
Old 08-15-2017, 09:20 PM

TIMM

I am envious of you. I have dreamed of having the 3.7 or 3.7i and you have the 20.7! WOW. That must be an amazing listening experience. I had read you are an analog guy and have listened to albums, but have you ever listened to Tidal's offering of MQA files (streaming digital music)? I know on my MMGs I could really hear a big improvement in sound over my AIFF files or CDs.

Last edited by psyopwak; 08-15-2017 at 09:23 PM. Reason: add info
Old 08-15-2017, 10:34 PM

Hey psyopwak...
I actually have a directstream and a ton of dsd and hi res. And I am so happy with the 20s ... the texture they bring is amazing.

I haven't heard MQA yet and I don't have a bridge on my directstream. The new version does a full unfold. But I am a really happy camper with my dsd.

They are just my kind of speaker with the soundstage / texture/depth and planar bass
Old 09-14-2017, 11:55 PM

Late to your thread Timm but CONGRATS! Maggies are wonderful. They do need gobs of current and room but once they have that they are effortless to listen too. My dad had Maggies a few different times. My older brother as well.

Happy for you Timm!