AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Pass Labs

Pass Labs 20 Years and Counting

Old 10-27-2017, 12:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince11281 View Post
I recently purchased a XP-17 for my system after borrowing a friends XP-15. Having had the option to buy both, I prefer the 17. I think it’s sounds a little cleaner and more 3D. Perhaps it’s just the way it sounds with the rest of my system and speakers. For reference I’m using Focal Sopras
Thanks for the info!

The dealer I consulted also characterized the XP-17 as more 3D, revealing & detailed, but thought it was brighter, less warm, less smooth, and a bit lighter in the lows, giving it a slightly tipped-up balance vs a more even-handed balance in the XP-15.

Did you hear any of these characteristics in your setup? I'm unfamiliar with the sound of Focal speakers.
Old 10-27-2017, 01:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robd2 View Post
Completely agree +++
What are your impressions of the XP30 Warm vs cool?
Well, coming from the tubed Hovland HP-100, it sounds a lot brighter, & cooler in the highs. The midrange is appropriately warm, and probably closer to reality, but is certainly cooler & less full than what I'm used to from the Hovland.

However, several factors make these perceptions questionable, even as a first impression:

1) The Hovland is definitely warm, and also rolls off the high frequencies (but in a very "musical" way.) So it is an adjustment to listen to a more extended, less "rich" sound.

2) I haven't been able to set up the Rockports yet, so I've only heard the XP-30 with the IRS Betas, which were overtly designed to be used with tubes, and almost always sound bright with solid-state. And I feel as if I've yet to get the crossover settings optimally dialed-in for the XP-30.

3) I'm temporarily using an old Adcom GFA-555 to power the bass towers while I get the power supply caps replaced on the Classe M-700s, so the bass is temporarily under-powered & unbalanced (since I didn't want to fiddle with active bass x-over settings, given the temporary nature of the Adcom.)

So it's really premature for me to give a well-founded opinion. Although thus far I miss the warm, full and tonally rich sound of the Hovland, I also know that, in that regard, the Hovland was editorializing, albeit in a very satisfying way. I think most would find the XP-30 plenty warm in the mids. I should also add that, even in the system as it is, the XP-30 often seems able to "open a window", & provide an intangible sense of hearing the original performance in a more direct way.

Last edited by Crumhorn; 10-27-2017 at 02:08 AM.
Old 10-30-2017, 11:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crumhorn View Post
Thanks for the info!

The dealer I consulted also characterized the XP-17 as more 3D, revealing & detailed, but thought it was brighter, less warm, less smooth, and a bit lighter in the lows, giving it a slightly tipped-up balance vs a more even-handed balance in the XP-15.

Did you hear any of these characteristics in your setup? I'm unfamiliar with the sound of Focal speakers.
I would say your dealer is spot on. I wouldn’t say one is better then the other, even though that’s what two Pass dealers told me, but they are just different. Definitely brighter and more forward on the 17 and the 15 seemed more neutral and laid back. I happen to like the more forward sound of the 17. My friend who owned the 15 I tried in my system still preferred the 15, so it’s really just a preference thing.
Hegel P30 preamp : Hegel H20 power amp : Focal Sopra No 1 monitors : Dual JL Audio Fathom 110v2 subs : Lumin D1 streamer with SBooster BOTW power supply : Rega RP8 turntable with Apheta II moving coil cartridge : Lehmann Audio Decade Phono preamp
Old 10-31-2017, 03:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince11281 View Post
I would say your dealer is spot on. I wouldn’t say one is better then the other, even though that’s what two Pass dealers told me, but they are just different. Definitely brighter and more forward on the 17 and the 15 seemed more neutral and laid back. I happen to like the more forward sound of the 17. My friend who owned the 15 I tried in my system still preferred the 15, so it’s really just a preference thing.
Thanks, Vince - I appreciate it!
Old 11-16-2017, 08:52 AM

Default I took the plunge!

After much back-and-forth, I pulled the trigger on the XP-15. (Also a Shunyata Delta NR power cord & a Synergistic Research Blue fuse.) Hope I can get it set up shortly after Thanksgiving. After it breaks in, I'll post my thoughts.

Thanks, All !