AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > The Lounge > Movies

Movies Past, Current & Future

Old 12-27-2019, 12:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doggiehowser View Post
I think Lucas received (rightfully) a lot of flack for the prequel trilogy and probably wanted to wash his hands off and get a huge pay day.

I agree entirely that’s what he wanted. The sad thing is he screwed his huge fans of the story immensely in the process.
Old 12-27-2019, 03:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioguy3107 View Post
It’s pretty much a movie quality vs. story quality if you compare the two. I think the sequels are far and away better movies, but the story of the first three prequels is much much better than what Disney and Co. put together.

- Buck

Red letter media has a really long (in the early days of YouTube) review of the prequel trilogy. It’s dark humor but well worth watching through the entire 9? Parts.
Old 12-27-2019, 07:54 AM

We saw the movie and I thought it was the best of the sequels by a long shot and really enjoyed it. My wife even admitted it was a good movie ... Too bad the trilogy was so badly disjointed. That said ... if this trilogy was Disney's best efforts then I'm fine if there are no more Star Wars movies for quite a while ... Hopefully the force will be with them next time!

George
Old 12-30-2019, 01:39 AM

Kevin Smith has his hour plus long recap of Rise. Pretty funny and spot on as usual but this time, I reckon he points out what he would have done differently, unlike other instalments where he was generally happy to go along with the plot.

Full of spoilers so beware

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6UnqNZhnGZs
Old 12-30-2019, 09:09 AM
Cool, calm scientist

I dunno; I'm jaded. I've found the latest set of Star Wars films to be completely...forgettable.

They're like Tom Cruise Mission Impossible or Jack Reacher movies. I find that a few weeks, later, I can't remember what they were about.

But....I sure as h*ll can remember what Akira Kurosawa's The Seven Samurai or Throne of Blood, or John Frankenheimer's The Manchurian Candidate or Seven Days in May was about in detail, even decades later.

There's movies.

And then there's great cinema.

One is fluff.

The other, in the words of the great film critic, Stanley Kaufmann, transforms your life...
Lumin P1 streamer/DAC/preamp, Constellation Inspiration integrated TT: Michell Gyro SE MkII, SME V, Koetsu Urushi Vermilion, EAR324. Harbeth 30.2s, REL R-305, Shunyata Alpha V2 ICs, Alpha V2 SPs, Sigma XC, Sigma NRv2, Omega QR-s & Alpha NRv2 PCs, segmented Altaira SG stack w/ Alpha & Omega CGCs, Everest 8000 PD. Remote Server Room: Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark Master Clock & LPS, Alita, Battle Angel, (Akasa NUC Roon Core), iFi DC Purifiers (for SMPS used for Alita & router), Shunyata Gemini combo power distributor & Altaira-type CG GP-NR hub, Venom & Alpha CGCs, Shunyata NRv14 power cords for digital components.
Old 12-30-2019, 10:18 AM
Racing Hoopties

One man’s fluff is another man’s entertainment. I guess I like fluff because I have never heard of any of the movies you mentioned. I did read ‘The Manchurian Candidate’ at some point.
Main Equipment: Kharma Elegance dB11-S, JL Audio F113v2 X 2, Block Audio Line & Mono SE Amplification, Bricasti M21 DAC, Antipodes Kala K-50 Server, Clearaudio Performance SE. Satisfy tonearm & Maestro wood MM cartridge.
Power: Shunyata Everest 8000, Sigma XC v2, Sigma NR v2, Block Audio PCs, Defender, ADDPowr Wizard
Grounding: Shunyata Altaira CGS - 4 X Alpha CGS cables,
Network : Supra Cat 8+, Twin (Nenon) Modified Buffalo GS2016 Switches, Keces P3 LPSU,
Cables: Wireworld Platinum 8 USB, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse 8 Speaker cables, 6M & 1M Tubulus Concentus ICs,
Other: Multiple GIK products, Stillpoint Apertures, Stillpoint Minis and Ultra SS, Three 20 Amp lines, Furutech GTX - Gold outlets, Adona Rack
Old 12-30-2019, 01:05 PM

There are two things about most of today's action movies that bother me.

1. Nostalgia. Almost everything is a reboot or a prequel or something, and they always rely on nostalgia to get you to the theater. They bring back old characters rather than blow you away with new characters. The new characters are usually pretty superficial in nature.

2. Desire to "one-up" everything else. If you have a really well written movie, you don't need to use LFE that shakes the entire block, or give you a seizure trying to keep up with the action. Those capabilities should be used to enhance a film, not MAKE the film. Everything is so over the top these days that movies have become less about stoking your imagination and more about insane effects and explosions and characters that are like "Gods".

The latest SW trilogy exploits those things to the hilt. I guess the nostalgia does work on me, but I kind of resent it!
Old 12-30-2019, 01:40 PM
Cool, calm scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by crwilli View Post
One man’s fluff is another man’s entertainment. I guess I like fluff because I have never heard of any of the movies you mentioned. I did read ‘The Manchurian Candidate’ at some point.
I get it, and entertainment is fine. For example, I think the series, "The Expanse" or "The Man in the High Castle" are much better than the last 6 Star Wars movies I've seen. The problem for me with me with the Star Wars series after the first original 3 films is there is no story that I find compelling or resonant. I don't care about these characters. I cared about Kikuchiyo in Seven Samurai.

If I may make a recommendation, Craig, rent or get in a copy of the 1962 version of The Manchurian Candidate (not the POS version with Denzel Washington) or Seven Days in May. I guarantee you will remember those films for the rest of your life.

Cheers, mate!
Lumin P1 streamer/DAC/preamp, Constellation Inspiration integrated TT: Michell Gyro SE MkII, SME V, Koetsu Urushi Vermilion, EAR324. Harbeth 30.2s, REL R-305, Shunyata Alpha V2 ICs, Alpha V2 SPs, Sigma XC, Sigma NRv2, Omega QR-s & Alpha NRv2 PCs, segmented Altaira SG stack w/ Alpha & Omega CGCs, Everest 8000 PD. Remote Server Room: Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark Master Clock & LPS, Alita, Battle Angel, (Akasa NUC Roon Core), iFi DC Purifiers (for SMPS used for Alita & router), Shunyata Gemini combo power distributor & Altaira-type CG GP-NR hub, Venom & Alpha CGCs, Shunyata NRv14 power cords for digital components.
Old 12-30-2019, 01:48 PM
Cool, calm scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2fastdriving View Post
There are two things about most of today's action movies that bother me.

1. Nostalgia. Almost everything is a reboot or a prequel or something, and they always rely on nostalgia to get you to the theater. They bring back old characters rather than blow you away with new characters. The new characters are usually pretty superficial in nature.

2. Desire to "one-up" everything else. If you have a really well written movie, you don't need to use LFE that shakes the entire block, or give you a seizure trying to keep up with the action. Those capabilities should be used to enhance a film, not MAKE the film. Everything is so over the top these days that movies have become less about stoking your imagination and more about insane effects and explosions and characters that are like "Gods".

The latest SW trilogy exploits those things to the hilt. I guess the nostalgia does work on me, but I kind of resent it!
Agreed and excellent points, Marc. Specifically about superficial level of character development in most characters these days. The most resonant characters in recent years that I can relate to 1) is Robert Downey Jr's Tony Stark in the Iron Man series, in particular the first film, and 2)Christian Bale in the Christopher Nolan series of Batman Begins and The Dark Knight series, and Matt Damon in the Jason Bourne series.

I've also found the first film in a trilogy of movies to be usually be the most compelling as the sequels often fall prey to the usual panoply of special effects over story line and the ongoing development of engaging characters. A good example is The Transformers series; the first film was fantastic, the others...um, not so much. Bumblebee is the first Transformers film I've found since the very first film that was compelling and engaging.

Last edited by Puma Cat; 12-30-2019 at 01:51 PM.
Old 12-30-2019, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puma Cat View Post
Agreed and excellent points, Marc. Specifically about superficial level of character development in most characters these days. The most resonant characters in recent years that I can relate to 1) is Robert Downey Jr's Tony Stark in the Iron Man series, in particular the first film, and 2)Christian Bale in the Christopher Nolan series of Batman Begins and The Dark Knight series, and Matt Damon in the Jason Bourne series.

I've also found the first film in a trilogy of movies to be usually be the most compelling as the sequels often fall prey to the usual panoply of special effects over story line and the ongoing development of engaging characters. A good example is The Transformers series; the first film was fantastic, the others...um, not so much. Bumblebee is the first Transformers film I've found since the very first film that was compelling and engaging.
But Batman and Iron Man are nostalgic characters who were invented in the 60's! Jason Bourne is from a book. It makes my point...are there any seriously compelling NEW characters in movies?