AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Turntables & Vinyl > Turntables & Tonearms

Turntables & Tonearms Where Analog still Rules

Old 03-16-2019, 11:38 AM

Default Technics SP10R or SL1000R

I currently have an SME 20/2 with Series V arm and have been very pleased with it's performance but find myself intrigued by the speed stability, energy and overall presentation of the latest direct drives.

I may just leave well enough alone but I'm considering an upgrade to one of the new Technics tables. I auditioned the SL1000R with a number of familiar albums and came away very impressed with the SL1000R and despite some initial skepticism, the magnesium Technics arm.

My dilemma is whether to go with the complete table or the SP10R in an OMA or Artisan Fidelity plinth with my Series V arm or perhaps a Kuzma 4 point if I sell my current set up.

The SL1000R plinth is very well made, reasonably compact with excellent damping characteristics and has the ability to add additional arms down the road should I ever recover financially from the initial purchase. I'm curious to hear what others think?

Last edited by MCenthusiast; 04-30-2019 at 10:54 PM.
Old 05-01-2019, 01:24 AM
Living La Vida Vinyl

Direct drive tables have a lot to offer.

Almost all the hype surrounding the SP10R and SL1000R Technics tables is coming from Stereophile and Technics themselves; try looking for information & reviews from other sources. With the Technics SL1000R at $20k msrp, you probably don't want to overlook the sub-$20k VPI HW-40 and the Grand Prix Audio Parabolica, the latter likely being the most speed stable of the three. I too would want to pick my own tonearm.
Old 05-01-2019, 08:19 AM
Retired

Don't think what Stereophile has to say about the Technics is hype any more than any of their reviews. Techinics marketing & sales is a different story............. their job is to hype their products, within reason.

Have never been a fan of the Technics TAs. Would also go for the TT and put on my favored arm. I prefer a DD TT and think you will appreciate the 'tighter' sound of the Technics compared to the SME (which also makes wonderful gear).

Wonder what's happened to the new VPI DD TT? Been over a month since delivery was supposed to have started and crickets on same. Wonder if they've run into a production problem or two.
Clearaudio SM Pro Focal Bathys JLA 10" Dominion Kuzma Stabi S w/MC & MM Magnepan 1,7i McIntosh MA8950 Oppo 203 Roon Nucleus Rose Hifi RS150B Shunyata Gemini-4 Sony ST-A6B, TA-F6B & PS-X75 Sorane SA1.2 & TA-1L Stillpoints LP1v2 WW Pt, Au & Ag
Old 05-01-2019, 08:44 AM

When I worked for Harris one of the things I did was evaluate products for resale. The original SP10 was in a class by itself in terms of rumble, wow and flutter. The fact that it came up to speed in less than 1/10 of a revolution was why broadcasters used it - tighter queuing.

I think Technics makes a good reliable product, and I am glad to see their continued investment in the category.
Proac Response 1sc Rears,
Three MC2301's for L,C,R
MC 602 for the rears
C 1100, MX 151, MCD 1100, MR 80
Nottingham Dais with Wave Mechanic
Sumiko Palo Santos Presentation

SurfacePro 3, RPi 4, ROON, WW Starlight Platinum USB, Schiit Yggdrasil, Benchmark DAC3 HGC

MX 151, OppO BDP-95, JVC RS-500 DILA projector, 106" diagonal Stewart Luxus Screenwall Deluxe with Studiotek 130 G3 material.

Lake House:
Ohm F, MC 275V, C2300, MR 77, Rega P3

OnDeck:
McIntosh MAC 4300v
Old 05-01-2019, 03:36 PM

Thanks for the replies guys. I've actually been thinking about a Technics SP10Mk3 in a custom plinth for quite a while and became interested in the new offerings only after reading the recent reviews by Michael Framer. Interestingly, the new SP10R doesn't deliver as much torque as the SP10Mk3 but it leverages a modern power supply, core-less motor and has exceptional speed stability on top of its other technical merits.

My second system uses a Garrard 301as it's source and there's a level of energy and dynamics from that table that I'd like to replicate on my big rig. In fairness, the second system does not have as low a noise floor and it leverages a step up transformer. Still, I think a signifiant part of the slam and overall presentation can be attributed to the idler drive.

I recently placed an order with Artisan Fidelity for a custom two arm plinth and SP10R. I'll be using a Kuzma 4pt 14" arm as my primary and a Reed 3P on the back mount. I'll have additional arm boards for the future and may try an SPU friendly arm like an SME M2-12R down the road. It should make for an impressive combination. I thought about the VPI Direct Drive too but it doesn't seem to be taking the market by storm and wouldn't have incorporated the arms I really wanted.
Old 05-02-2019, 07:38 AM
Living La Vida Vinyl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formerly YB-2 View Post
Don't think what Stereophile has to say about the Technics is hype any more than any of their reviews. Techinics marketing & sales is a different story............. their job is to hype their products, within reason. ...
My point is there is litte information on these two new tables that is not taken from Fremer or Technics.
Old 05-02-2019, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCenthusiast View Post
I recently placed an order with Artisan Fidelity for a custom two arm plinth and SP10R. I'll be using a Kuzma 4pt 14" arm as my primary and a Reed 3P on the back mount. I'll have additional arm boards for the future and may try an SPU friendly arm like an SME M2-12R down the road.
I can’t wait to see pics of this and read the reviews. I love these.
Old 12-26-2019, 04:45 PM

It took quite a while to get the Technics SP10R but Artisan Fidelity delivered an amazing table in the end! I've only had it set up for a few days but initial impressions are that it delivers exceptional dynamics and an impossibly low noise floor.

https://www.audioaficionado.org/pict...pictureid=5095

Last edited by MCenthusiast; 12-26-2019 at 04:49 PM.
Old 12-26-2019, 05:54 PM

MC, she's a beauty !
Old 12-26-2019, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikado463 View Post
MC, she's a beauty !
Thanks Dave!