AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Burmester Audio

Burmester Audio Art for the Ear

Old 03-02-2012, 04:53 AM

Well, I have finally tested the 113 to some extent. My basis for comparison is my old DCS P8i and that I have used the DAC in my D2V over a long time.

To take the latter first, 113 is of course superior to D2V. It will be a big downturn to switch back .... . Bottom line is that my lending of 113 is going to be permanent!

What for me distinguishes 113 is rhythm and the presence "meat on the bones”. Particular, the foundation is very good with a very coherent intermediate and deep bass. Voices are coming well forward without being dominant. In a way, the whole musical picture is incredibly coherent and" there ". I notice new details I have never heard, especially sounds that are a little behind in the sound picture. Classic album of Roger Waters, Amused to Death, have some effects that is just fantastic here! In fact, better placed and with a far greater depth than what I've heard before, and in the same time with greater dynamics. Maybe it is just to simply improve the dynamic that we are talking about?

If I compare with P8i, which I was happy with, it is probably the more "neutral", and it does not quite have the boogie factor of the 113. Now, it's a good 10 months since I heard P8i, but that combo with the Mac Mini, Amarra 2.3.3 and Burmester 113 are overall a quite better package, no doubt!

The so much talked about bluetooth light is through audiophile playback is not in use. You use of course the USB or digital cable ... The fact is that the bluetooth, depending on the standard, is playing either 128 or 256 bits, which to much compressing the sound for my taste. Another thing I learned is that the DAC is basically the same as sitting in 089, 061 and 069, i.e. the chip. This is of course a pretty good starting point.

Erik
Old 03-14-2012, 12:28 PM

I have tried 113 and 052 at home now. Very similar sound, but with a slight favor to 052 in my system.
Old 05-13-2012, 07:43 AM

113 inside

Old 05-13-2012, 02:26 PM

Does anyone know if this unit has asynch USB?

Also I believe this does not have digital volume incorporated? Does anyone know the output voltage level? Am wondering if it can be used power amp direct (using the 32bit dithered volume control on Pure Music or Amarra)?
Old 05-13-2012, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdebonth View Post

Also I believe this does not have digital volume incorporated? Does anyone know the output voltage level? Am wondering if it can be used power amp direct (using the 32bit dithered volume control on Pure Music or Amarra)?
Hi Joost,

Max. output level (1% THD+N, 1kHz, bal.) = 4V.

No digital volume incorporated.
Old 05-13-2012, 05:54 PM

Colin, thanks. That won't work power amp direct, it would require way too much digital attenuation.
Old 05-14-2012, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Yes, up to 24/192
Old 09-10-2012, 03:26 PM

Default Any further opinions?

Hi all,
I just joined the Burmester club with one of the last 051 to be sold new.
So far I am very happy and enjoy the beautiful tones and dynamic that the amplifier gives to my system.

As of today I use a Sonos Zp90 directly in analogue RCA to the 051 which I guess is not optimal. Do you think that the 113 DAC would really change the quality of the sound ? Or do you think that the quality of the Sonos is not worth of being associated with Burmester equipment ?
I would love a 111 but I cannot afford it and will not for a long long time if ever.

Have you compared the 113 DAC to other good dacs ? Is the synergi between Burmester components going to play an important role ?

Thank you in advance

From Norway
Nicolas
Old 09-14-2012, 01:49 PM

Hi Nicolas,

Can't you borrow the 113 from your Burmester dealer to try it in your system and see if it brings a worthwhile improvement to the sound?

BTW, have you read this review?

Burmester 051 og 052 | Lyd & Bilde
Old 09-14-2012, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anatta View Post
Hi Nicolas,

Can't you borrow the 113 from your Burmester dealer to try it in your system and see if it brings a worthwhile improvement to the sound?

BTW, have you read this review?

Burmester 051 og 052 | Lyd & Bilde
Hi!
Yes that's a very good point. I will most likely do that, but I am not sure if the rest of my system is revealing enough at this stage. My seakers are quite basics. I am also in doubt about the quality of the Sonos as the source, maybe the feed to the dac is bad so it won't show any difference between a good dac and a bad one. Then I should probably try to find another streamer?

Thansk for the link, I read it before and it is a nice praise of the amplifier but it does not help so much because they say it is good with any speaker I wished they would limit my choices!

Nico