AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Wilson Audio

Wilson Audio Authentic Excellence

Old 06-23-2015, 07:55 PM
Racing Hoopties

Simply beautiful! Congrats!

Can explain how you are using a second preamplifier? I can't envision what you are doing.
Main Equipment: Kharma Elegance dB11-S, JL Audio F113v2 X 2, Block Audio Line & Mono SE Amplification, Bricasti M21 DAC, Antipodes Kala K-50 Server, Clearaudio Performance SE. Satisfy tonearm & Maestro Wood MM cartridge.
Power: Shunyata Everest 8000, Sigma XC v2, Sigma NR v2, Block Audio PCs, Defender, ADDPowr Wizard
Grounding: Shunyata Altaira CGS - 4 X Alpha CGS cables,
Network : Supra Cat 8+, Twin (Nenon) Modified Buffalo GS2016 Switches, Keces P3 LPSU,
Cables: Wireworld Platinum 8 USB, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse 8 Speaker cables, 6M & 1M Tubulus Concentus ICs,
Other:Two PSI Audio AVAA C20, Multiple GIK products, Stillpoint Apertures, Stillpoint Minis and Ultra SS, Three 20 Amp lines, Furutech GTX - Gold outlets, Adona Rack
Old 06-23-2015, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masterlu View Post
Jacques... of course your sound stage got bigger, you blew out the wall behind everything with your new subs!

Seriously though, Congrats!
Indeed, the brick is falling of this wall from the outside - hihihi....
Old 06-23-2015, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crwilli View Post
Simply beautiful! Congrats!

Can explain how you are using a second preamplifier? I can't envision what you are doing.
Sure! So the traditional setup using the Wilson Cross Over is to go from the pre-amp (my C1000) to the Xover, and then to the sub amplifier which in my case are the MC2KW. However, while the Wilson Xover has volume control, they don't really amplify the volume more then the level coming out of my C1000. Now in most setup (99%+ I am sure) this is working fine because there are plenty of base coming out of the Thor of course.

In my case, one of the motivation to get the REL G1 in the first place was that they were amplified and had volume control I could use to have more bass volume to compensate for the bass absorption in my floor (not concrete, but standard wood construction). So I my case, I am using the second pre-amp to simply add gain to the bass signal going to the cross over to give me more flexibility in my room setup. Again in most setup I am sure this is not required. So the config is as follow:

Output 1: C1000 out to the REF 750 for the Aida
Output 2: C1000 out to the C48 used to add gain, to the Wilson Xover, to the MC2KW, to feed the subs (with the C48 gain, I have more flexibility with the volume control of the Xover for my room requirements).

Hope this helps! So to conclude, I am not doing this to get excessive amount of bass or because the Thor don't have enough bass! I hate a boomy sound. I do this to compensate my room deficiency in heating up bass frequency to some degree. In my previous sound room built on a 12" thick concrete floor, I did not have this problem...
Old 06-23-2015, 11:27 PM
Racing Hoopties

I am thick and sorry if this taking away from the thrust of this cool thread. Is the issue that the C1000 doesn't have enough gain? C1000 output to a C28 source input (Adjust volume) output to x-over?

Sent from my iPad using A.Aficionado
Main Equipment: Kharma Elegance dB11-S, JL Audio F113v2 X 2, Block Audio Line & Mono SE Amplification, Bricasti M21 DAC, Antipodes Kala K-50 Server, Clearaudio Performance SE. Satisfy tonearm & Maestro Wood MM cartridge.
Power: Shunyata Everest 8000, Sigma XC v2, Sigma NR v2, Block Audio PCs, Defender, ADDPowr Wizard
Network : Supra Cat 8+, Twin (Nenon) Modified Buffalo GS2016 Switches, Keces P3 LPSU,
Cables: Wireworld Platinum 8 USB, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse 8 Speaker cables, 6M & 1M Tubulus Concentus ICs,
Other:Two PSI Audio AVAA C20, Multiple GIK products, Stillpoint Apertures, Stillpoint Minis and Ultra SS, Three 20 Amp lines, Furutech GTX - Gold outlets, Adona Rack
Old 06-24-2015, 06:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crwilli View Post
I am thick and sorry if this taking away from the thrust of this cool thread. Is the issue that the C1000 doesn't have enough gain? C1000 output to a C28 source input (Adjust volume) output to x-over? Sent from my iPad using A.Aficionado
No worries! To explain why i use the C48, lets forget about the Wilson Xover for a minute. The issue is not the gain of the C1000, it has plenty. The issue is that if i feed both of my amplifiers (ref750 for aida and mc2kw for the Thor) directly from the c1000, they will both play at the same volume which is logic right. BUT IN MY ROOM, because the floor is absorbing the bass, i need to play the subs a bit lounder then the main speaker, not by much, but still need a bit more gain compared to main speaker. So you see, if i simply turn the volume up on the C1000, it does not help because it would increase the gain of both the aida and the subs. Adding the C48 in the mix and giving it some gain which i dont touch once tuned to the right delta, then when i play with the volume control of the C1000 i always send let say 1.5dB more gain to the subs relative to the aida. So this config has nothing to do with the C1000, but with my room acoustic profile.

Hope this helps...
Old 06-24-2015, 07:48 AM

It is too bad that all the modern McIntosh amps do NOT have adjustable gain as they did back on the 7270 models.

I totally understand the issue and have had that similar issue.

Old 06-24-2015, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djwhog View Post
It is too bad that all the modern McIntosh amps do NOT have adjustable gain as they did back on the 7270 models. I totally understand the issue and have had that similar issue.
Indeed, adjustable gain on the amp directly would be useful! Cheers
Old 06-24-2015, 07:57 AM
Racing Hoopties

Thank you Jacques. I understand the what and why. Finally - since the crossover is passive, it cannot add any gain and give you that boost you need.

In my humble system, i have the ability to add gain either through the MEN220 or the way I use, my Servo control unit that comes with my speakers.

Your system is incredible. Well done!

Craig
Old 06-24-2015, 08:02 AM

You could add an external gain control to the passive circuit, but:

1 quality is not the best
2 it would only be a cut in loudness
3 would need to be in the mains to bring them down

Maybe Ivan or someone else knows of a higher end gain control that is external?
you could call the guys at Madisound Speaker Components ask for Josh he may have some suggestions.
Old 06-24-2015, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCR View Post
Sure! So the traditional setup using the Wilson Cross Over is to go from the pre-amp (my C1000) to the Xover, and then to the sub amplifier which in my case are the MC2KW. However, while the Wilson Xover has volume control, they don't really amplify the volume more then the level coming out of my C1000. Now in most setup (99%+ I am sure) this is working fine because there are plenty of base coming out of the Thor of course.

In my case, one of the motivation to get the REL G1 in the first place was that they were amplified and had volume control I could use to have more bass volume to compensate for the bass absorption in my floor (not concrete, but standard wood construction). So I my case, I am using the second pre-amp to simply add gain to the bass signal going to the cross over to give me more flexibility in my room setup. Again in most setup I am sure this is not required. So the config is as follow:

Output 1: C1000 out to the REF 750 for the Aida
Output 2: C1000 out to the C48 used to add gain, to the Wilson Xover, to the MC2KW, to feed the subs (with the C48 gain, I have more flexibility with the volume control of the Xover for my room requirements).

Hope this helps! So to conclude, I am not doing this to get excessive amount of bass or because the Thor don't have enough bass! I hate a boomy sound. I do this to compensate my room deficiency in heating up bass frequency to some degree. In my previous sound room built on a 12" thick concrete floor, I did not have this problem...
Jacques, are you running your Aida's full range? Your email would seem to indicate that you are.