AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Shindo Laboratory

Shindo Laboratory Sound Create Producer

Old 08-30-2011, 11:54 PM

Default Auditorium 23 SUT/EMT TSD15/Shindo

I thought I would post this here since it relates to Shindo but if Ivan wants to move it to vinyl/turntable forum, that's ok too.

I've been running the Denon 103R through the Auditorium 23 Step up Transformer. As we Shindo owners know, the MC phono stage of the Shindo preamps is really designed for super low impedance cartridges like the Shindo SPU and a few others out there.

I've heard good things about the A23 SUT that works very well with the 103R and was actually designed around the 103 cartridge. Matt was kind enough to send me the SUT to audition.

I have to say, the 103R MC cartridge going through the A23 SUT and to the MM phono stage of the Shindo Masseto brought on a whole new level of performance. Specifically, the 103R opened up and started to simply blossom in terms of harmonics and took on a more open and effortless sound. It really sounded pretty good going through the Shindo MC without the SUT but by comparison, I was now listening to quite a different sound.

Considering all the minuscule, tiny voltage fluctuations that take place as the stylus tracks the grooves, proper loading is very important for an MC cartridge. The A23 SUT is like matching a modern 6 speed transmission to an engine instead of the 3 gear auto tranny of a vintage car. The SUT helps the cartridge to open up harmonically and there is quite a bit more color and fireworks going on when every tiny fluctuation of the stylus is well impedance matched to the phono stage and the cartridge is loaded more favorably.

After spending a few days with the 103R/SUT, I wanted to mount and try the excellent EMT TSD15 cartridge that Matt recommended and is considered a natural step up in performance from the great "bang for the buck" Denon 103R.

For those not familiar, EMT, the company was founded in 1940 by Wilhelm Franz in Berlin and named "Electrical Measuring Technology William Franz KG".

Further history:

History of EMT
EMT Studiotechnik

Off went the 103R and on went the TSD15 cartridge. Careful setup with the excellent Dr.Feickert protractor and the cartridge was aligned and ready to go.

New, out of the box sound was amazingly smooth with the TSD15. The Denon 103R was just a bit rough and shrill until it had at least a dozen records or so but also smoothed out nicely and continued to break in and open up after that.

I've played 8 records so far on this cartridge and I am really liking what I am hearing. This cartridge is a real smoothie. Gorgeous midrange, slightly fuller and weightier than the 103R, I like that, a bit on the warmer/romantic side of absolute neutral but fits in really nice with the Shindo gear. Bass is quite a bit more potent than what I am used to with the 103R. This is nice, full, round and "wet" analog bass that I enjoy so much. The 15" drivers of the Tannoy are ever so happy to do some "slappin' da bass man" with the TSD15...

The EMT sounds a bit darker up top right now and I will follow the break in to see what happens with that but overall, the TSD15 sounds warmish, a bit darkish, extremely musical and very, very easy to listen to. A pleasure of a cartridge. Listening to some classic rock this evening, some acoustic guitar records as well as some jazz, the TSD15 simply made me forget about the system and really get into the musical groove. Nothing sour coming out of speakers, every note is warm, rich and satisfying. There is some real "meat on the bones" here.

Getting back to the A23SUT, I'd say it is highly recommended for Shindo owners that have not yet stepped up to the Shindo TT/SPU but want to hear what their phono stage is all about while using an MC cartridge that is not super low impedance. The MM phono of the Monbrison and Masseto that I have personally experienced so far are full of magic. It just sounds so rich and colorful! This is not your solid state phono stage.

I'll add more comments as the TSD15 breaks in some more.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2363-1.jpg (71.7 KB, 247 views)
File Type: jpg EMT-1.jpg (23.9 KB, 217 views)

Last edited by PHC1; 08-30-2011 at 11:59 PM.
Old 08-30-2011, 11:57 PM

Oops, I forgot that we now have a dedicated Shindo forum. Ivan, please move this thread.
Old 08-31-2011, 12:08 AM

Hey! I have an EMT TSD15 cartridge as well, paired with an A23 SUT. Mine is attached to a Lignolab plinth, Garrard 401, and EMT 997 arm. Supplied by that "guy" in San Francisco.

What a small world it is indeed. Photo courtesy of that "guy"....

Barr

Old 08-31-2011, 12:18 AM

Very cool Barr!

The TSD15 I am using is the "modern tonearm" version for lower mass tonearms but they are probably very close in sound none the less.
Old 08-31-2011, 07:08 AM

Serge, I'm glad to hear that I wasn't hearing things with the A23SUT, it really is a huge improvement and makes the 103R come alive

it's not clear from your post, but are you also running the EMT cart through the SUT?

Very nice setup Barr, there was a similar plinth/table/arm combo on a'gon earlier this year but unfortunately I missed it by a few hours.. Is that also the Shindo platter/bearing/weight combo?
Old 08-31-2011, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bplexico View Post
Hey! I have an EMT TSD15 cartridge as well, paired with an A23 SUT. Mine is attached to a Lignolab plinth, Garrard 401, and EMT 997 arm. Supplied by that "guy" in San Francisco.

Barr

What a solid looking/ well built TT!
Old 08-31-2011, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bplexico View Post

Barr

Barr...WOW! That's a beauty of a 'table. A work of art and the sound is amazing. Congrats to you

Dave
Old 08-31-2011, 09:14 AM

Serge...congrats my friend for the review, links and set up pix. Looking forward to more.

Dave
Old 08-31-2011, 01:31 PM

Serge,

Glad that you are enjoying the A23 SUT and EMT cart. Before I moved to the 301 I enjoyed my time with the EMT cart and the A23 SUT.

My findings mirrored yours... a properly matched SUT lets you hear deeper into the music.

Now that I have the Shindo/Ortofon cartridge I find that it is perfect match for the built in SUT in the Masseto. But... I hear that the "Homage" is even better...
Old 08-31-2011, 07:27 PM

Proper SUT/Cartridge pairing is absolutely essential. I have had a chance to use 7 different SUT's (Cinnemag, Sowter, Lundahl, Hommage, Altec, Silk, Hashimoto) and preferred the Hashimoto with my Koetsu Onyx. The SUT in the Shindo preamps and the Hommage will work with a variety of cartridges but are clearly optimised for SPU type cartridges. Will have a Garrard 301 up shortly so am eager to hear how my new Ortofon SPU classic will sound tapped directly into the VR preamp.
Speakers: Tonian classic 12 (PHY driver) and Hawthorn Audio Trios (Open Baffle). Analog Source: Nottingham Ana-log, Garrard 301. Tonearms: SME 312S, SME M2-12R, Nottingham Unipivot. Cartridge: Koetsu Onyx, Lyra Helikon Mono, Ortofon SPU Classic. Digital Source: Eastern Electric Dac +. Electronics: Shindo Vosne Romane Preamp, 45,2A3,300B,F2a,GM70 SET amps, Atma-sphere S30 OTL, Dynaco ST-70, Shindo Haut-Brion