AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Shunyata Research

Shunyata Research Designing Silent Systems for recording, film and music

Old 07-16-2020, 08:34 AM

Default Shunyata 2020 - -Choices Choices

Hi All,
new cords have come to Oz and I am working with my supplier.

I thought it may be edifying to seek some forum thoughts on what I should prioritise.

I won't bore everyone with a system description, but instead just describe current cabling arrangement.

OK from Wall we have:
- Alpha NR v1
- ISOTEK Syncro (clean up DC)
- NR v10 (used because it has a C19 plug)
- PS8 (with defender)

From Wall re: Internet it goes:
- Modem (NETGEAR etc supplied by phone company)
- Sigma E/net
- Server
- DH Labs Reunion E/net
- Renderer
- Sigma USB
- DAC
- Alpha RCA
- H/L Pass
- Venom interconnects for highs as well as Venom speaker cables.

I guess i was thinking about replacing the PS8 which is US with the Oz version. This has better noise management features.

Then I thought I would try and put Omega E/net in instead of Sigma (swap). I was very impressed with how Sigma E/net changed sound and I note changes upstream give me something I like.

Then if funds were OK i'd go ahead and get an Alpha XC to feed the new Australian Version PS8.

I am torn because my Highs Amp is a SPEC Class D and I wonder how great an Alpha V2 NR would sound on it :-)

Thoughts welcome
Old 07-16-2020, 10:51 AM

Hello Mr Gray,
The setup looks a bit constrained in the mains apartment.

I would probably simplify and turbocharge the foundation first. How many outlets do you need excl defender?

Sigma XC -> Venom AU8 or what it is called in Australia

This will make everything flow and unrestrained. You will not be prepared for what this simple upgrade will do with your system.

Then get your amps the alpha v2 NR they deserve.

Since you already have Sigma Ethernet it is not at all the weak link here.
Old 07-18-2020, 06:42 AM

OK i bought a shunyata c15-c9 adaptor and was thus able to remove an isotek syncro and NR V10 from the chain that feeds the PS8. it sounded more direct after i thought. at worst it was absolutely neutral.

i will proceed with the AU8 (Australian version of PS8) and then consider a Sigma XC in preference to Omega Ethernet.

Big dollars for a cord! I will wait and see what I get out of the AU8 which I am sure will be alot. In a way it would be shame to do it all at once and not enjoy the incremental improvements given it is all relative in any case.
Old 07-19-2020, 07:13 AM

Actually, I think the biggest upgrade will be the Sigma XC here. Followed by the alpha v2 NR’s for amps. If you want the most bang first you can start with that and do the PD last.

I do have the EU7 (same gen as AU8) in a spot where I’ve had everything from Anaconda/Talos, Furutech e-tp615/TS-762, Venom HC/EU7. When I put in the Sigma HC there was an OMG moment. When that hits, you know where there was a weak link in your setup.

In the other setup I upgraded from Sigma HC to Sigma XC so I have that fresh in memory.

This will be a component upgrade level going from Alpha V1 to Sigma XC (effectively 2 major leaps in the Shunyata world). And AU8/EU7 is transparent enough to convey that. If you later want to visit the summits the Sigma XC will take you there even up to the Everest!

Last edited by crion2; 07-19-2020 at 07:54 AM.
Old 07-21-2020, 03:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_gray View Post
OK i bought a shunyata c15-c9 adaptor and was thus able to remove an isotek syncro and NR V10 from the chain that feeds the PS8. it sounded more direct after i thought. at worst it was absolutely neutral.

i will proceed with the AU8 (Australian version of PS8) and then consider a Sigma XC in preference to Omega Ethernet.

Big dollars for a cord! I will wait and see what I get out of the AU8 which I am sure will be alot. In a way it would be shame to do it all at once and not enjoy the incremental improvements given it is all relative in any case.
Mr Gray
Sorry for hijacking the topic, but I am interested to know more about your experience with Isotek Syncro, any significant impact on your system? Although based on your update above I can sense that it might rob dynamics from your system
Thanks
Old 07-22-2020, 09:35 AM

Is there a new (v2) version of Sigma interconnects?
Old 07-23-2020, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thyname View Post
Is there a new (v2) version of Sigma interconnects?
For power cables, Yes. There is the XC for connecting the wall outlet to a power distributor and v2 NR for power distributor to component.

https://shunyata.com/cable-series-ov...-cable-series/

Ivan can probably help you with acquisition.
Old 07-23-2020, 07:06 PM

I believe the v2 interconnects are in the wings and not too far away...maybe Ivan knows a bit more
Old 07-23-2020, 07:35 PM

10 .. 9 .. 8 .. 7 .. 6 .. 5 .. 4 .. 3 .. 2 .....
Old 07-23-2020, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGabriel View Post
10 .. 9 .. 8 .. 7 .. 6 .. 5 .. 4 .. 3 .. 2 .....
You mean I have to reload my penny jar again?

Bedroom: Aurender N150, TEAC UD-505 (AKM version), EMIA Cu Elmaformer passive line stage, conrad-johnson MF2500, Paradigm Studio 20 v5. Shunyata Delta D6, Altaira CG hub. Shunyata Alpha XC, Delta NR v2, Alpha USB, Alpha and Venom CGC/SGC. Wireworld Eclipse 8 interconnect & speaker cables. Stillpoints footers, Butcher Block Acoustics maple platforms. Stillpoints and GIK acoustic panels.

Home Office:Windows 11 PC/JRiver 31, TEAC UD-501, Luminous Audio Technology Axiom II Walker Mod passive, conrad-johnson Sonographe SA-250, Paradigm SE-1. Shunyata Hydra (Original Version), Venom 10 NR. Wireworld Eclipse 7 interconnects. Blue Jeans speaker cable.

Living-Dining Room: Windows 11 Laptop/JRiver 29, Oppo BD-83, TEAC UD-501 DAC, SOTA Sapphire TT, Graham Slee Era Gold V, Ortofon 2M Black, McIntosh MR-77, c-j Sonographe SC-25, c-j MF2500, Paradigm SE-3. Wireworld 8 IC, Blue Jeans SC. Shunyata Hydra 8 v.2, Shunyata Delta NR, Venom NR. GIK 244 bass & scatter-plate panels.