AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Audio Research

Audio Research State of the Art Audio Reproduction

Old 08-31-2014, 07:33 PM
Bun E. Carlos

Default A.R. Reference 75 vs. Mc MC275VI?

Well, the AR Ref. 75 is almost double the price. Has anyone compared the two side by side? The AR looks gorgeous, but the MC275 is a proven beast.

Which would you put in YOUR living room?
Old 08-31-2014, 08:47 PM

The ARC, if only because the Mc is an odd layout. I would like to have an ARC stack in my main 2 channel system. Maybe someday...

Last edited by stollen; 08-31-2014 at 08:49 PM.
Old 08-31-2014, 11:41 PM

The ref75 really is a giant killer. It's an amazing amp for the price. While it may seem expensive, it's actually a "bargain"
Old 09-01-2014, 08:04 AM
Bun E. Carlos

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2fastdriving View Post
The ref75 really is a giant killer. It's an amazing amp for the price. While it may seem expensive, it's actually a "bargain"
I noticed in your signature you have a 75! NICE. I assume you have been happy with it? Has it been low maintenance? Your impressions please! Thx
Old 09-01-2014, 02:24 PM

The MC275 for sure. There is no way the AR sounds twice as go as the Mac. I would probably buy two MC275's over one Reference 75.
Old 09-01-2014, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWJW View Post

I noticed in your signature you have a 75! NICE. I assume you have been happy with it? Has it been low maintenance? Your impressions please! Thx
I have never heard the mc275, so I can't offer a comparison, but the ref75 is simply incredible. It sounds far bigger than its rating suggests. It has the smoothest mids I've ever heard. Paired with the Ref 5, it's a match made in heaven. It drives Sasha's with ease.
Old 09-01-2014, 06:49 PM

Marc, how many hs can be work "stable" ref 75 with same tubes ?
im thinking about this change in future. But really i play music min 2-3 hs per day
(between stereo music and many films) and my other problem is "tone control" in my pre. I need in my small room descend -4-5 bass.
Old 09-01-2014, 08:33 PM

The ARC house sound and the Mac house sound are so completely different that it is really not a matter of one ARC Ref 75 vs 2 Mac 275s. A single Ref 75 and a single Mac 275 are robust enough to drive many speakers as much as need be. Those that need gobs of watts (or current) will need Mc 2301s or ARC Ref 250s.
As to the differences in sound, you should listen to both on the same system. Mac is a lit from within pleasant, burnished, rounded sound while ARC is more transparent with a midrange bloom. Mac does not cast tremendous width and depth in the soundfield as ARC does. Some feel that ARC is too bloomy. But I find it to be a great attribute.
My personal preference is ARC. But 12 years ago before the latest 2 generations of Ref series from ARC , I preferred Mac.
Rest assured, they sound very different.
Wilson Alexia V, ARC Ref 160M MkII,Ref 40,Ref Phono2SE, Shunyata Triton3, Typhon, Sigma PCs, ICs & SCs, Spectral SDR4000SV (w MIT IC), Belcanto PL1, Oppo 205, Marantz 2270 (tuner only):AudioDesk and VPI record cleaners, Furutech Demag & Destat; Stillpoint Apertures, TechDas AF 3S Premium with SAT CF9 and Kuzma 4pt 9" arms, Lyra Atlas Lambda SL, Dynavector XV1-t stereo and XV1-s mono carts, Miyajima mono, Shure V15VxMR,
Old 09-01-2014, 11:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpgr4blu View Post
The ARC house sound and the Mac house sound are so completely different that it is really not a matter of one ARC Ref 75 vs 2 Mac 275s. A single Ref 75 and a single Mac 275 are robust enough to drive many speakers as much as need be. Those that need gobs of watts (or current) will need Mc 2301s or ARC Ref 250s.
As to the differences in sound, you should listen to both on the same system. Mac is a lit from within pleasant, burnished, rounded sound while ARC is more transparent with a midrange bloom. Mac does not cast tremendous width and depth in the soundfield as ARC does. Some feel that ARC is too bloomy. But I find it to be a great attribute.
My personal preference is ARC. But 12 years ago before the latest 2 generations of Ref series from ARC , I preferred Mac.
Rest assured, they sound very different.
Really well said. I'm not super familiar with the mc275, but your description of the arc is spot on in my opinion.
Old 09-01-2014, 11:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mati1979 View Post
Marc, how many hs can be work "stable" ref 75 with same tubes ?
im thinking about this change in future. But really i play music min 2-3 hs per day
(between stereo music and many films) and my other problem is "tone control" in my pre. I need in my small room descend -4-5 bass.
I am not sure how long the arc tubes last, I haven't had mine too long. I am not sure a home theater is the best environment for it, but I bet others do it. I'm don't understand what the problem is with the tone controls... Seems like an Ok thing to do if you need to.