AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > McIntosh Audio

McIntosh Audio A Tradition of Excellence

Old 01-14-2012, 05:07 PM
Merry Christmas to all

Default McIntosh MC2301 Power Amp Review

Where does one begin when describing the McIntosh MC2301 tube power amplifier? Do I talk about the sheer bulk and size of this physically huge power amplifier? Is it necessary to elaborate on the drop dead beauty of the blue power meter between tube windows in the thick black glass faceplate? Should I attempt to define my complete jaw dropping awe upon powering up the pair of MC2301 amplifiers for the first time? Will I be able to convey the thrill and overwhelming joy of listening to what has been referred to as one of the best tube amplifiers in the world? Follow along and we shall see where this goes.

One glimpse at the dimensions of the MC2301 shipping box immediately conveys this is no flea SET amp that has arrived. Literally, it is a two person job to unload and unpack the MC2301 amplifiers. Unless you wish to spend some extended time in traction, don’t even attempt moving these amplifiers without help, and that’s exactly what I did, enlist the help of another strong back. That made the unpacking and moving tasks easier, but it was still no cake walk. The MC2301’s are big and heavy, being several inches taller than the MC601’s they replaced, and several inches deeper, as well. They also sport larger and considerably more robust handles that are far more than mere attractive cosmetics. These handles are necessary when lifting this kind of bulk and weight. McIntosh saw to it to install a grab bar at the rear of the amplifier. It was an essential and wise addition to have this extra lifting point when carrying and placing the 2301. Make no bones about it, these amplifiers are hulks. From the front edge of the MC2301’s handles to the rear edge of the chassis is a healthy 23-1/4 inches. I tried to capture that in one of the photos. The amp dwarfs the rack next to it, so standard audio racks need not apply. It was a smart design option that all connections are made by plugging the power cord, interconnect, and power control cables in a downward position into the top of the chassis’ rear apron, otherwise the required depth and necessary clearance would be even more dramatic. Another premium feature, the MC2301 is the first McIntosh vacuum tube amplifier to use their Quad Balanced design that cancels all noise, resulting in a tube amplifier free of any distortion.

Once the MC2301’s were positioned properly on the amp stands I found myself totally enchanted with the sheer beauty of these two amplifiers. Not only are they physically imposing beasts, they radiate a sense of utter confidence and purpose before ever being energized. Once power was applied, illuminating the blue McIntosh power meter centered between the tube windows, lighting the logo and nomenclature in soft green, and powering the warm orange glow of 16 Gold Lion KT88’s seen through the tube windows and perforated tube cages, it was love before first notes.

This pair of MC2301’s came to me with less than 25 total hours on them. They had been energized and played with the stock tubes for one hour before the McIntosh tubes were replaced with a full complement of new Gold Lion KT88 and 12AT7 tubes. The Gold Lion tubes had just over 20 hours of use on them when the amps were delivered to me. This means the 2301’s were only about one third broken in, and the same for the Gold Lion tubes. Knowing this, I expected the amplifiers to sound very good with relatively few hours on them but did not expect them to perform at their full potential for at least another 40 to 50 hours or more. With this understanding I set about auditioning the 2301’s and logging additional hours on them before attempting to make any critical judgments about their sound.

I have owned and enjoyed several other McIntosh tube power amplifiers, both mono and stereo. A lingering concern I always have with tube power amplifiers is the nagging feeling of internal parts damage should a power tube fail, requiring the amp to be repaired. I witnessed a power tube failure on a friend’s original model MC275. It was startling with blue, orange, green, and white lightning flashes swirling around inside the tube envelope and a burnt smell emanating from the chassis before the power could be turned off. When the power tube failed it destroyed the bias resistor and some tube heater circuit parts that required the amplifier to be serviced. It was a scary scene and the memory of that event remains in the cobwebs of my mind. McIntosh has safeguarded the MC2301 from this type of destructive circumstance by including into the MC2301 the newly designed Sentry Monitor tube protection circuitry. This circuit provides protection to the power amplifier in the event of an improper load (mismatched impedance), shorted loudspeaker cable or if a power output tube should fail. During normal amplifier operation there is zero compromise in sonic performance with the Sentry Monitor tube protection circuitry. It ensures safe operation of the amplifier under even the most extreme operating condition. In the event a problem occurs, the MC2301 Sentry Monitor tube protection circuitry will activate, shutting the amplifier down immediately to prevent potentially destructive high levels of current from flowing in the amplifier. This is the kind of peace of mind I have always wanted when using a tube power amplifier. No more scary tube lightning shows or the aftermath and no more lingering stress associate with the nagging worry of power tube failures damaging the amps.

The MC2301 amplifiers literally oozed themselves into the studio sound system like soft butter on a hot biscuit. The synergy is unmistakable. The components used with the MC2301’s include a McIntosh C1000C/P preamplifier, MCD1100 SACD/CD player, a MR88 tuner, an Olive 04HD music server, a Michell Gyro SE turntable with SME 309 tonearm and Ortofon Cadenaz Black moving coil cartridge. The MC2301 amps are driving Sonus Faber Amati Anniversario speakers. All interconnects are Wireworld Silver Eclipse balanced cables, Silver Starlight 6 digital cables, Silver Eclipse speaker cables, and Silver Electra power cords.

After allowing the MC2301’s a full hour to warm up I selected the Ray Charles/Norah Jones duet “Here We Go Again” from Ray’s Genius Loves Company SACD. This is where it gets emotional because there is no other way to describe the feeling that went through me when Ray and Norah’s voices melted my consciousness into a puddle. Even with limited hours on the amps and tubes, it was undeniable that I was auditioning a truly premium tube amplifier. The organic nature of their voices, the texture of their vocal chords vibrating rang so true it was almost eerie. There is magic in the midrange of these amplifiers and will be immediately apparent to anyone, even those with limited exposure to other amplifiers and designs. Not only were Ray and Norah’s voices raising goose bumps across the back of my shoulders and neck, so were the sound of the instruments. Ray’s talented keyboard playing and legendary note bending stood fully exposed and unblemished by anything else, as did Billy Preston’s incredible Hammond B3 ivory work. There was plenty of air between voices and all instruments. Bass was thick, full, rich and solid. I have listened to this song twenty times or more, never before realizing this much three dimensional sense of live performance or thoroughly involving earthy texture. This is as close to a live performance as I have ever experience from any of my previous sound systems. Playing another favorite track on the same SACD, “Fever” with Ray and Natalie Cole, again I was nearly floored when hearing their voices, sensing the width and depth of the highly detailed soundstage, feeling as though I was experiencing a live performance, not a recording. This is the ultimate goal of every audio enthusiast, to be swept up emotionally to such an extent as to forget you are listening to a reproduction on a sound system. When fantasy edges out reality you have arrived.

System photo June 2017. Esoteric K-01X and Aurender N10 replaced MCD1100 and Olive 04HD

Having just removed the MC601’s from this same system only days ago and enjoying them in this system long enough to be intimately familiar with their sound, I am happy to discover certain aspects of the 601’s sound in the 2301’s. The overall pace, rhythm and timing of the MC2301 amps is on par with the new 601’s. I am pleased about that. The quickness of dynamics that both the 601’s and 2301’s bring to the table is a step in the right direction for McIntosh amplifiers in my opinion, and a welcomed asset to tube amplification. I am pleased to hear the force and slam of the lowest frequencies are still very much present and accounted for with the 2301’s when compared to the more powerful MC601’s. Did I mention these amplifiers are dead quiet? There is no hint of tube grid noise even with the preamp volume control wide open. What I found different between the two amplifiers is the 2301’s inherent organic nature to its sound, a sense of having genuine physical life with a midrange magic that lends itself so perfectly to human voice reproduction. The MC2301 amplifiers are smooth as silk on bare skin.

I have been listening to the MC2301’s from morning to late night during the past few days and now have 64 hours total time on the amps. I would guess they are still not fully broken in, although from the original 20+ hours until now the 2301’s have blossomed like a treasured hibrid orchid, opening ever so slowly to reveal a commanding mystical beauty and presence, rich with a perfect pallet of vivid sonic colors and amazing delicate aural textures. I have listened to everything from solo piano, jazz quartets, rock, blues, classical violin, and plenty of vocals without discovering anything whatsoever to nitpick. The 2301’s perform effortlessly without screaming “hey, look at me”, like a number of other high end amplifiers seem prone to in their quest for attention and a niche. These beautiful McIntosh tube power amps quietly step out of the way, preferring to place the music in the limelight. Listening earlier to Larry Carlton – The Gift CD, I felt as though I was sitting just off the front edge of a small stage in an intimate jazz club listening directly to Larry playing those slick licks through his Fender Hotrod tube guitar amp. The sensation was as if nothing but air existed between me and Larry’s presence on that stage. All the essence of a live performance was laid out before me. The guitar string tones were so pure and accurate that the fantasy was made real once again. The MC2301’s effortlessly transcend the restrictions of time, space, and reality, easily lifting me to new and uncharted listening heights.

As the MC2301 power amps accumulate additional hours I expect the listening pleasure to become even more convincing and exciting. This is the type of sound that keeps you reaching for CD after CD, album after album, telling yourself over and over, “just one more”, knowing full and well you will never get enough of the exquisite aural thrills delivered by these amplifiers. For me, they represent a dream come true. I am ecstatic with my entire studio sound system. The synergy between all the components easily creates a state of emotion that transports me beyond rational thought. It has been a work in progress for years, and has finally come to fruition. I am floating on cloud nine with the McIntosh MC2301’s. I whole heartedly give these amazing power amplifiers my absolute highest recommendation.

STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, Shunyata Sigma spdif digital cable, Sonos Connect, PurePower 2000, Stillpoints, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Michell HR Power Supply, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Wireworld, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario
LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC75 (2), MR85, Magnum Dynalab 205, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Shunyata Sigma USB cable, Micro Seiki DD40, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, Nakamichi BX-300, Sony 60ES DAT, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, Sonos Connect, Stillpoints, Wireworld, Kimber, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113
VINTAGE - McIntosh MA230, Tandberg 3011A tuner, Olive 04HD, Sony DTC-59ES DAT, McIntosh 4300V, JBL 4312A

Last edited by jdandy; 08-21-2017 at 08:59 PM.
Old 01-14-2012, 05:18 PM
From the BAT cave ...

Dan, yet another world-class review. You have an enormous writing talent that I love to read. Congrats!!!
Old 01-14-2012, 05:30 PM
Remembering Dan

Quote:
Originally Posted by chessman View Post
Dan, yet another world-class review. You have an enormous writing talent that I love to read. Congrats!!!
Dan....Boy oh boy, what can I say. I think Randy has said it best. It gets me dreaming of one day owning a pair of these beauties. That day is unfortunately a long, long way off, if it ever does arrive. Nothing wrong with dreaming though...

A huge congrats again on a spectacular acquisition and review. I'm sure I'll be re-reading this review a few times. World class indeed.

Pete

No. 35

Main System: VPI Prime Signature TT in Rosewood, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Stillpoints LP1 V2, McIntosh: MP100, MR78, MCD1000 Transport on Stillpoint Ultra Minis, MDA1000 D/A Converter on Stillpoint Ultra Minis, MS750 Music Server, C40, MC501's (3), Soundcraftsmen: DC2215 Eq/AS1000 Real time analyzer, DBX 3BX II, Carver C9, Nakamichi Dragon, Crown SX724, Crown D-75A (as headphone amp), Sony XBR55X900E 4K TV, JBL L220A's, JBL B460, Sumo Delilah active crossover, WireWorld Silver Eclipse audio interconnects, WireWorld Starlight and Silver Starlight Coaxial Digital interconnects, Wireworld SuperNova 7 Toslink digital interconnect, WireWorld Aurora 7 and Silver Electra Power cords, Wireworld Silver Eclipse 8 speaker cables, Terk AF-1 Powered Antenna, Oppo UDP-205 4K Blu-Ray Player, Bryson BUC-1 USB Converter, Wireworld Gold Starlight XLR Digital interconnect, PS Audio Direct Stream Power Plant 12 on Stillpoint Ultra Minis, PS Audio Dectect, FuruTech Flux-50 NCF Inline Power Filter, Add-Powr Wizard EM Field AC Line conditioner; Stillpoint Ultra SS's under (3) McIntosh MC501 Amplifiers

Florida Room/Art Studio System: Harmon Kardon T60 TT/Ortofon 2M Black, McIntosh: MR77, C32, MC2205; Crown Power Line Four, Wyred for Sound DAC-2 Digital to Analog converter, Soundcraftsmen AE2000 Eq, JBL 4313B's, JBL 2241-based Sub, JBL BX63A Active Crossover, Oppo BDP-105D Blu-Ray Player, Samsung 5500 Series 32" Smart TV, Terk AF-1 Powered Antenna

Master Bedroom System: McIntosh: MX120 Theater processor, MC206 6-channel amplifier; MR74 AM/FM Tuner, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, JVC HM-DH40000U D-Theater Digital VHS, Phase Technology PC80 Towers (now used as stands), (2) JBL 4401's, (1) JBL Studio 6IW speaker, (2) JBL Studio 6IC speakers, Sony XBR-49X900E UHD TV, Panamax 1000 Line Conditioner, (2) JL Audio E110 Subwoofers, Wireworld Solstice speaker cables, Wireworld Aurora Power cords, Wireworld Equinox and Solstice speaker cables and various other flavors of Wireworld and Audioquest cabling

Office System: Marantz 150 Tuner, Crown DL 2, Crown EQ 2, Crown SA 2, Crown D-75A (as headphone amp), McIntosh MCD7009 (as transport), DBX 3BX Series II, Oppo BDP-103 Blu-ray player, JBL 4401's, JL Audio E112 Subwoofer, Samsung 5500 series 32" Smart TV, Wire World Oasis audio interconnects, Wire World Solstice speaker cables, Wyred for Sound DAC-2 DSDse Digital to Analog converter, Wireworld Starlight Coaxial Digital Interconnect, Sennheiser HD800 Headphones, Sennheiser HDVA600 Headphone amp, Wireworld Silver Eclipse Balanced Interconnects, Wireworld Platinum Starlight USB Cable, Add-Powr EAU-2 AC Harmonic resonator

High Resolution Source: HP Omen 17" Gaming Laptop
Old 01-14-2012, 05:46 PM

Dan great write up as usual. Congrats on those beautiful amps.
McIntosh MX150 2-MC601's, 1-MC303, MCD500, MVP881BR, MCLK12, Parasound Z v.3 zone amp, Parasound Z v.2 zone tuner, Panasonic DMP-BDT350 3d blue ray player, Wadia 171i transport, Mac Mini, JL113 Subwoofer, Direct tv dvr, Mitsubishi 82837 & 3DC-1000 3d starter pack, Martin Logan CLX aniversary, Stage center, Motif surrounds, Universal MX-3000 remote, Richard Gray/Furman line conditioner, Synergistic Tranquility Basik & Base, Two Each
Old 01-14-2012, 05:46 PM

The old TV show "YOU ARE THERE" is how I feel while reading this review. The feelings that the performance and presence of these beauties give you is what we all strive for. It does not necessarily mean that we need the 2301's to achieve this because we all have different goals and tastes in our musical evaluation and expectations. I would not hesitate for a minute in choosing these beasts except for the total reorganization of my space because of the heat factor.
The French say "If you love food, you love life". I think this can also apply to the way you love music as well. You make it exciting for all of us when you share your musical experiences so eloquently.
Thanks Dan and keep the words flowing.
Howard
Old 01-14-2012, 06:00 PM
Merry Christmas to all

Gentlemen all.......Thank you. When describing the MC2301's the words seem to find themselves. What wonderful amplifiers.

STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, Shunyata Sigma spdif digital cable, Sonos Connect, PurePower 2000, Stillpoints, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Michell HR Power Supply, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Wireworld, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario
LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC75 (2), MR85, Magnum Dynalab 205, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Shunyata Sigma USB cable, Micro Seiki DD40, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, Nakamichi BX-300, Sony 60ES DAT, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, Sonos Connect, Stillpoints, Wireworld, Kimber, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113
VINTAGE - McIntosh MA230, Tandberg 3011A tuner, Olive 04HD, Sony DTC-59ES DAT, McIntosh 4300V, JBL 4312A
Old 01-14-2012, 06:05 PM

Great review,you're an absolutely gifted writer!!
I've never had the chance to hear great tube amps like yours,but I could almost hear yours from your review, thanks and congrats !!

Mark
Old 01-14-2012, 06:06 PM

Very nice Dan! Enjoy the pleasures of a nicely setup musical system.

Mike
Old 01-14-2012, 06:11 PM

Nice review Dan. Your sound treated studio system must sound fabulous. It may be time for you to concentrate on just sitting back and enjoying your stereo because there is not much room for improvement downstairs
Old 01-14-2012, 06:13 PM

Gah I really need to give those beasts a listen! Haven't found a dealer that hosts them for a demo :/ Well written as allways Dan! Enjoy!