AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Audio Research

Audio Research State of the Art Audio Reproduction

Old 12-08-2011, 11:03 AM

Dave, just curious, since you are using Lamm amps, have you actually compared the ref 5 to your former Lamm preamplifier. I would think that there would be better synergy when using components from the same manufacturer.
Old 12-08-2011, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dafos View Post
Dave, just curious, since you are using Lamm amps, have you actually compared the ref 5 to your former Lamm preamplifier. I would think that there would be better synergy when using components from the same manufacturer.
No I have not compared them directly. The Lamm preamp was good, but after much listening and comparing to the Musical Fidelity kW, I came to realize that the Lamm was obscuring some of the fine musical details as well as softening attack and dynamics. It did have a nice tube bloom and dimensionality. And there is no remote with any Lamm preamp, which was a bit of a downside from time to time.

The MF kW is much better with dynamics, detail, propulsiveness and attack, without loosing too much of the tube bloom. On the downside, the MF presents a rather flat 2 dimensional soundstage and is not as warm sounding as the Lamm.

My hope is that the Ref 5 will give me everything I am looking for.
SF Stradivari, Aric Audio Motherlode XL preamp and Super KT Parallel amps; Pass XP 27, Raven One TT, Graham Phantom II arm, Lyra Etna Lamda, Airtight PC1, Bryston 3.14 DAC, Transparent Reference & Wireworld, dedicated treated room 17 X 34 X 9
Old 12-08-2011, 03:39 PM

Dave, if your MF kw preamplifier was the limited edition model of some 5 or 6 years back, I've actually heard a direct comparison between the kw pre and the ref 5's predescessor, the ref 3, and I'm telling you the gap was so huge in favor of the ARC. More bloom, more body, wider and deeper stage, you name it the ARC flattened the kw. Which is why I asked you about the Lamm which is a brand Ive heard on several occasions and been likewise impressed by though ive never heard one in direct comparison with any ARC ref models. And yes, I agree that the Lamms lack of remote would for me be a key deciding factor assuming both the Lamm and the ARC were sonically even.
Old 12-08-2011, 03:51 PM

Dave; Congratulations on the Ref5... It will change a lot in the first 200-300 hours. I've found 600 hours is accurate for full break-in. Enjoy!

2CH: D’Agostino Momentum's, Audio Research REF40, Wilson Alexia's, SME 30/2, ARC REF2 SE, Meridian 808V5, Transparent REF XL

HT: B&W 800Ds, HTM1D, B&W 802N, (2) Mc 601's MC 303, (2) JL F113s, Meridian 861V8, Sony VPL-VW500ES 4K projector, 120" Stewart SST 130, Oppo 93, 65 inch Panasonic.
Old 12-08-2011, 04:42 PM
Cool, calm scientist

I recommend a Shunyata CX series 20 amp power cord: Black Mamba, Python or higher.
Lumin P1 streamer/DAC/preamp, Constellation Inspiration integrated TT: Michell Gyro SE MkII, SME V, Koetsu Urushi Vermilion, EAR324. Harbeth 30.2s, REL R-305, Shunyata Alpha V2 ICs, Alpha V2 SPs, Sigma XC, Sigma NRv2, Omega QR-s & Alpha NRv2 PCs, segmented Altaira SG stack w/ Alpha & Omega CGCs, Everest 8000 PD. Remote Server Room: Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark Master Clock & LPS, Alita, Battle Angel, (Akasa NUC Roon Core), iFi DC Purifiers (for SMPS used for Alita & router), Shunyata Gemini combo power distributor & Altaira-type CG GP-NR hub, Venom & Alpha CGCs, Shunyata NRv14 power cords for digital components.
Old 12-08-2011, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Dave, if your MF kw preamplifier was the limited edition model of some 5 or 6 years back, I've actually heard a direct comparison between the kw pre and the ref 5's predescessor, the ref 3, and I'm telling you the gap was so huge in favor of the ARC. More bloom, more body, wider and deeper stage, you name it the ARC flattened the kw. Which is why I asked you about the Lamm which is a brand Ive heard on several occasions and been likewise impressed by though ive never heard one in direct comparison with any ARC ref models. And yes, I agree that the Lamms lack of remote would for me be a key deciding factor assuming both the Lamm and the ARC were sonically even.

Dafos, yep that's my current MF preamp. You've really got me anxious now to hear the Ref 5 (once broken in) with your comparison experience with the Ref 3.

Thanks also Viper and Puma Cat, I appreciate the experience and advice. I'm looking for a Shunyata or Cardas GR power cord.

Best,

Dave
SF Stradivari, Aric Audio Motherlode XL preamp and Super KT Parallel amps; Pass XP 27, Raven One TT, Graham Phantom II arm, Lyra Etna Lamda, Airtight PC1, Bryston 3.14 DAC, Transparent Reference & Wireworld, dedicated treated room 17 X 34 X 9
Old 12-08-2011, 06:49 PM

Dave, I may be biased being a long time ARC user, but the ref 3 subject of that comparison was dropped into an all musical fidelity kw system and after the audition, it never left that owners system! He then completed the revamp of his system by replacing the mighty Kw amp for the ref 610, but admittedly, I felt that the gap between the power amps was not as dramatic. What I may recommend though, if still possible, is to wait for the rumored release of a mk2 version of the ref 5 that will likely incorporate design attributes and parts, specifically the white Teflon caps, from the reference anniversary preamp.
Old 12-08-2011, 10:44 PM

Agree with Stephen (Puma Cat). I have ARC with Shunyata and I'm extremely happy with the combo.

Mike
Old 12-09-2011, 01:32 AM

Hi Dave:
I see you use Cardas Golden Reference in your system which are very good ICs. But having used them in an all ARC system with Wilsons, I can say that they slightly smooth and round out the sound in a pleasing way. I find that any number of more neutral/transparent cables are better suited to the ARC sound which I find to be very neutral with precise transients (esp for tubes). I like Shunyata (almost all) and Stealth (Indra or Sakra only ) the most ---both let the strengths of ARC gear flow through to the listener. Shunyata's line from last year was used at the ARC factory last year and until the last photo I've seen in mid 2011. (The Audiobeat has a number of such photos on its site). I have not seen any recent photos to know if anything has changed.
I have not heard Shunyata with the Lamm M1.2s and do not know what synergies exist there ---although I cannot imagine that a neutral cable would be anything but a v good match. I have heard the Lamm M1.2s tied to Wilsons with all Transparent as well as all Kubala-Sosna ICs. Both sounded great. Love the Lamm 1.2s.
Old 12-09-2011, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Dave, I may be biased being a long time ARC user, but the ref 3 subject of that comparison was dropped into an all musical fidelity kw system and after the audition, it never left that owners system! He then completed the revamp of his system by replacing the mighty Kw amp for the ref 610, but admittedly, I felt that the gap between the power amps was not as dramatic. What I may recommend though, if still possible, is to wait for the rumored release of a mk2 version of the ref 5 that will likely incorporate design attributes and parts, specifically the white Teflon caps, from the reference anniversary preamp.
Thanks Dafos. Just to clarify, I bought a used Ref 5 with under 300 hours on it. So upgrading to the mk2 version is something I could do down the road. The good thing about this unit is that I don't have much more time before it is fully broken in.

jpgr4blu - Your point about the Cardas being smooth sounding wires is a very good one and something I haven't considered. I have been using them for a long time and have kept them constant while changing out most of the rest of my gear. Many Wilson owners seem to use, and like, Transparent. But that stuff can get extremely expensive. Once I get some time on the preamp in my system, then I might consider trying Transparent or Shunyata. Thanks for the recommendation.

Regards,

Dave