AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > McIntosh Audio

McIntosh Audio A Tradition of Excellence

Old 08-17-2018, 11:47 AM

Check out MSB dacs... i have the analog and it sounds amazing with the c1100 and mc2301’s
Old 08-17-2018, 11:51 AM

Location: Lago Vista Texas Downtown Austin and Frisco Colorado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Tone View Post
If you plan to run USB, you need to be aware of McIntosh's subpar USB implementation.

https://www.audioaficionado.org/show...ighlight=D1100
That's a Roon problem. JRiver works great!
Old 08-17-2018, 08:55 PM

Whatever you choose I like staying in the Mac family especially the D1100.
Old 08-18-2018, 09:28 AM

I think if you have a D1100 it will work perfectly with your new pre amp and you will not be disappointed in the sound. If you buy another brand such as esoteric you will also have superb sound so either one is a excellent decision. Once you write the check you will not be thinking about the cost anymore but rather the synergy with your system. The D1100 will definitely have synergy not just in sound but with the remote control operations of your system. This may seam like a tiny factor but to me its important. I can control my C2300 and D1100 with the same remote as well as power everything on and off with one remote. I still listen to vinyl and need tone controls. If I had only a digital set up I would choose the D1100 alone without my C2300. If you decide later to build a separate digital system the D1100 can be the pre amp. and DAC. The D1100 does not have a transport, if that is important get an esoteric CDP/DAC. The esoteric is a legendary performer and will keep you happy for a long time as well. I had a hard time deciding between the esoteric and the D1100. I went with the D1100 due to a trade in opportunity from a dealer on my 9 year old MCD500 that tipped the scale to $3000 plus my old MCD500 ie it was a no brainer and I knew I could use the D1100 to build another system at my vacation home later. The esoteric is more expensive than the D1100 but the D1100 to my ear sounded just as good, if you search you can read the thread here of the comparison. I don't spin Cd's anymore I use my Aurender to stream of Tidal for most of my digital listening and have some Hi resolution downloads on the Aurender as well. You can buy an Aurender N100H and a D1100 for less than a esoteric CDP and have similar sound, as well as the other points above.
Old 08-22-2018, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nalthien View Post
Thanks everyone for your thoughts--especially on the D1100! I'm not sure where I'm going to end up; but, it's been hugely helpful to read impressions.

The D150, C52, and D1100 all use the same DAC chip (ESS9018). Any differences *should* come from the analog chain post conversion.

Running through the comparison on the McIntosh site is interesting.
  • Slightly better SNR (111 vs 110)
  • D1100 has a dual-mono power supply
  • D1100 has 1 extra digital coax and 1 extra digital optical input
  • D1100 has one additional Balanced and one additional unbalanced output

I think this is why I find it overpriced; the actual Digital-to-analog conversion is done by the same chip in both units. The specs for THD, frequency response, and output are all the same. One unit has an MSRP of $3,000 and one has an MSRP of $7,000. That's more than double the price and I can't find any particular justification.
Hi.. first post here ! I'm in the process of upgrading an old system (Esoteric DV-50s SACD player, BlueSound Node2 streamer, Herron VTSP-2A tube pre, Mac MC 352 amp, B&W 802 Nautilus speakers). I wanted to first replace the 12year old tube pre with a solid state unit and considered the C47,C52 and D1100. Aside from occasional unrealistic thoughts of procuring a turntable, I'm pretty much all streaming these days so I thought the D1100 would offer the best SQ (best DAC path) .

Unfortunately one local audio chain in my area (Denver,Boulder,Colorado Springs) has a monopoly on Mac gear yet doesn't have much inventory for audition. I was unable to audition any of these units and had to pay a down payment to order a D1100, although I know I can return if it doesn't suit me. At any rate, posts like the above, that suggest the DAC path for the D1100 is the same as the C47 and C52 make me wonder what the advantage of the D1100 is ? I have read one or two posts from people who have gone from the C47 to D1100 and reported a definitive improvement in SQ. I wish I could audition all three units but this seems not possible.

Its likely that I will be happy with the D1100 but I'm always going to wonder if I boxed myself in the digital only realm (D1100) and gained no SQ advantage. I know I could add a C1100 down the line, but I want to stay solid state. Anyone know FOR CERTAIN if the DAC path in the D1100 is the same as the C47 and C52 ? I understand the chips are the same but I've also read that the chips are not always the final say in SQ.
Any and all comments will be appreciated.
Old 08-22-2018, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mintakaX View Post
Hi.. first post here ! I'm in the process of upgrading an old system (Esoteric DV-50s SACD player, BlueSound Node2 streamer, Herron VTSP-2A tube pre, Mac MC 352 amp, B&W 802 Nautilus speakers). I wanted to first replace the 12year old tube pre with a solid state unit and considered the C47,C52 and D1100. Aside from occasional unrealistic thoughts of procuring a turntable, I'm pretty much all streaming these days so I thought the D1100 would offer the best SQ (best DAC path) .

Unfortunately one local audio chain in my area (Denver,Boulder,Colorado Springs) has a monopoly on Mac gear yet doesn't have much inventory for audition. I was unable to audition any of these units and had to pay a down payment to order a D1100, although I know I can return if it doesn't suit me. At any rate, posts like the above, that suggest the DAC path for the D1100 is the same as the C47 and C52 make me wonder what the advantage of the D1100 is ? I have read one or two posts from people who have gone from the C47 to D1100 and reported a definitive improvement in SQ. I wish I could audition all three units but this seems not possible.

Its likely that I will be happy with the D1100 but I'm always going to wonder if I boxed myself in the digital only realm (D1100) and gained no SQ advantage. I know I could add a C1100 down the line, but I want to stay solid state. Anyone know FOR CERTAIN if the DAC path in the D1100 is the same as the C47 and C52 ? I understand the chips are the same but I've also read that the chips are not always the final say in SQ.
Any and all comments will be appreciated.
You could always go separates. I've got a C47 that's fed by a Mytek Brooklyn DAC+ and has a wonderful sound. That said, if you want streaming, you'll need to find a streamer, like the Mytek Manhattan DAC with network card.
Old 08-23-2018, 12:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayoradamwest View Post
You could always go separates. I've got a C47 that's fed by a Mytek Brooklyn DAC+ and has a wonderful sound. That said, if you want streaming, you'll need to find a streamer, like the Mytek Manhattan DAC with network card.
Thanks, I think thats the route I will ultimately take. I'm thinking the D1100 is not for me at this point. I'd love to audition a C47 or C52 but I don't want to go through this ordering process to do it. As much as I love McIntosh stuff, not being able to audition a pre will likely have me looking at other more available preamps. I was looking at a Moon 740P ($9K) today. When (if) I replace my MC352 amp, I will almost certainly stick with a Mac.
Old 08-23-2018, 12:35 AM

The DAC in the D1100 might be the same as those above ^ however the signal path is unique to the D1100.

The D1100 was designed as a Dual-Mono device, which means that the left and right audio channels as well as the power supplies are electrically isolated from one another. This is done to improve stereo separation and keep the disparate left and right signals as pure as possible.

I have owned the c47 & c2600...then the D1100. The D1100 implementation was superior.
Old 08-24-2018, 02:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBT View Post
That's a Roon problem. JRiver works great!
That is not fully accurate.. If you go back and read that thread, you will notice a few things I very carefully documented and observed.

1) The issue was consistent across many different players and 3 OS’, not just Roon.
2) The issue can be resolved using JRiver with advanced settings

3) The issue was largely resolved with f/w revision 1.03 after I personally worked directly with McIntosh support and engineering to get that fix pushed

This was not an issue with 1 software player. JR will work yes, but that is because it has some unique settings that allow the underlying issue with the firmware to be masked.

Joey

Last edited by joey_corleoni; 08-24-2018 at 02:14 AM.
Old 08-24-2018, 09:52 AM

Location: Lago Vista Texas Downtown Austin and Frisco Colorado

Quote:
Originally Posted by joey_corleone View Post
That is not fully accurate.. If you go back and read that thread, you will notice a few things I very carefully documented and observed.

1) The issue was consistent across many different players and 3 OS’, not just Roon.
2) The issue can be resolved using JRiver with advanced settings

3) The issue was largely resolved with f/w revision 1.03 after I personally worked directly with McIntosh support and engineering to get that fix pushed

This was not an issue with 1 software player. JR will work yes, but that is because it has some unique settings that allow the underlying issue with the firmware to be masked.

Joey
And there you go! Last year the Roon rep on Computer Audiophile said they had solved the problem when in reality they hadn't. I got JRiver up and running without any problems and haven't looked back. I suspect when I get the Aurender N10 and download Conductor on my Apple products JRiver will go by the wayside.