AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Ayre

Ayre A new dimension of musical enjoyment

Old 07-15-2017, 08:46 PM

Last week I joined the waiting list for a new KX-5 Twenty to use with my VX-5 Twenty. I suppose it will be several months before I receive it. Too early to think about selling the K-5xeMP.

db
Old 07-16-2017, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggar View Post
I told my dealer that, in about one year, I might be ready to upgrade my preamp. He told me that the greatest improvement would be between the V5xe and the VX-5 and that I'd probably not notice much improvement if I were to invest in a new preamp. I think that, for now, I'll stand still.

I cannot think of a thing that I would do to my system - unless my spouse wins the battle of the speakers. Before I bought them, I took her to see the Revel Salons and she only had good things to say about size, fit and finish. When I bought them and played the first album, she could instantly tell the difference between the Salons and the Paradigm Sig. 8s that they replaced. Now, they are too big and block her view of a piece of artwork. Luckily, any of the alternatives that I'd want (Vandy, Estalon) wouldn't work with our decor so, we're at an impasse and, in this case, an impasse is the best result!

I've heard the preamp is the big change in the chain. That's not to take anything away from your upgrade. I came from a Bryston 4B SST, and the VX-5 Twenty is, in the least, leagues better. Your new amp should bring you benefits on a similar scale too. I did the amp upgrade first because I wanted Ayre synergy with my K-5xeMP. Now I'm looking for betterment of that synergy with the KX-5 Twenty.

Old 07-16-2017, 11:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctsooner View Post
I just had mine built into my AX5/20 by Ayre since I didn't have the pre out on the amp.
How do you like the AX5/20? If the sound is equivalent, I think it saves a good bit on cost and space compared a KX5/20 - VX5/20 pair.

db
Old 07-17-2017, 09:36 AM

I love it. I haven't heard the pair recently, so it's impossible to really tell you. I went with the integrated for both cost and space. I love how it sounds with my Quatro's. When you look at the design of the AX5/20, you can tell that it is not an afterthought or two pieces thrown together sharing a case and transformer. It is less power than the pair and there are advantages of each.

If I had the funds and the room, I'd go separates, but I personally can't justify the added expense and that includes a very expensive interconnect for the pair that, to me, would be needed. JMHO
Old 04-14-2019, 06:36 AM

Hello. I cant create new topics. Will ask here.

I have Kx-5/vx-5 twenty driving Neat MF5 standfloor speakers which are pretty hard to drive. Actually i have no problems with sound but are there any reason to buy second VX-5 for biamping? I think that i can get some more sense of transparency and grip of drivers.

Thank you
Old 01-26-2020, 02:07 AM

Hello Gibalok: I just noticed your message. Frankly, I think that biamping and biwiring are a waste of time. The former is, in my view, a waste of a lot of money. I biamped three generations of Quad amps before admitting to myself that there was no discernible difference in sound quality. It is, I suppose, possible that two relatively low powered amps with little to no headroom could produce a better SQ at higher SPL’s but, in the sort of leagues that we are playing in - Ayre V-x5 and up, unless you are driving Infinity IRS’s there should be plenty of power and then some.
Old 02-26-2020, 02:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggar View Post
Hello Gibalok: I just noticed your message. Frankly, I think that biamping and biwiring are a waste of time. The former is, in my view, a waste of a lot of money. I biamped three generations of Quad amps before admitting to myself that there was no discernible difference in sound quality. It is, I suppose, possible that two relatively low powered amps with little to no headroom could produce a better SQ at higher SPL’s but, in the sort of leagues that we are playing in - Ayre V-x5 and up, unless you are driving Infinity IRS’s there should be plenty of power and then some.
Probably I would Agree since VX-5 is very responsive to the pre and dac. If they gives more punch and grip than VX-5 respones with better and deep bass and grip.
Old 12-31-2020, 08:41 PM

Hi guys, what power cords are you using with your amps? Ive been using a VH Audio Flavor 4 for probably longer than a decade and am looking to change it up. I recently took advantage of pre-owned Ayre Signature cords and put them on my KX-5 and C-5.

Old 01-02-2021, 11:11 AM

Amps and preamps are all running Shunyata Zitron Alpha HC.

(The preamp didn't need HC, but it does sound slightly better with the HC rather than the component version.)

Last edited by BillK; 01-02-2021 at 11:14 AM.
Old 01-02-2021, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillK View Post
Amps and preamps are all running Shunyata Zitron Alpha HC.

(The preamp didn't need HC, but it does sound slightly better with the HC rather than the component version.)

Thanks. I just snagged a pre-owned Zitron Python to give Shunyata a whirl. Never had a Shunyata product. It is an older cord, yes, but the price was right and within what I was willing to spend without getting into mega $$.

I should also note that I added a L-5xe a few months ago, then laid down an area rug, and have GIK panels on the way by the end of the month, to complete this slate of tweaks.

Last edited by will; 01-02-2021 at 02:59 PM.