AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Wilson Audio

Wilson Audio Authentic Excellence

Old 10-26-2011, 07:53 PM

Default Sasha's in a large room?

Hi gents

Will a pair of Sasha's be able to drive and fill a large room of around 26 x 23 with normal 8 ft ceilings?

or do you really need a sub to fill out the bottom registers?

sasha is supposed to be able play to 106db without strain.

I read that sasha is flat down to 20 hz.

or is it more a manner of your amplifiers able to drive the sasha's cleanly at higher volumes.

I had a listen to the sasha's yesterday with arc ref 150 & ref 5 at the store - probably 18 x 25 with tall ceiling of at least 10-11 ft. sounded excellent at up to moderate level's, however seem to lack dynamics and slam at louder levels. I think the ref 150 runnning out of steam may have been part of the issue?

cheers
Old 10-26-2011, 08:37 PM

Smile

My room is 19 x 25 feet with 15 foot ceilings. I noted a big difference when I changed amps and increased power. The bass and slam are very good now, but I will be adding in a sub shortly mostly out of curiosity and after some well-imntentioned nudging by fellow AA members.

I dont see the size of your room as a limiting factor for the Sashas.
Old 10-26-2011, 09:46 PM

Thanks Kippy

That is good feedback. Your overall room volume is more than mine

I still think that there is only so much air 2 x 8 inch woofer's can push out, however if anyone can maximise it, it is Wilson.
Old 10-27-2011, 01:49 AM

Thanks for that Tima, appreciate it.

That is a nice large room. 16 ft to the listener is around what I like - not a great near field listening fan.

My tube amps are 275 watts - 8 x 6550 per monoblock, so double the power of what I heard in the shop. I do like to play it LOUD every now and then.

cheers
Old 10-27-2011, 06:27 AM
Hear to listen...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tima
For my own experience with the Sashas in a bigger room: I heard 'em for a few hours at a dealer's where the room was roughly 20ftx36ft with 12 ft ceilings. Ayre MX-R amps with a dCS stack. Listening triangle was ~16ft with the Sashas somewhere around 6ft off the wall.
Tim, are you talking 6 feet off rear wall? Just curious.

Sent from my DROIDX using A.Aficionado

Aural pleasures courtesy of SME, Dynavector, Audio Research, Simaudio, Wireworld, & Wilson
Old 10-27-2011, 07:03 AM

My room is 20' X 36' X 9' and my Sashas do extremely well in it. They have plenty of space to bloom, the soundstage goes wall to wall (depending on material) and there is plenty of bass slam without the use of subs. I am using room treatment at the first reflection points and bass traps in the front corners. (see my album for room set-up).

I am currently using Lamm M1.2 Reference amps, which are plenty of power for the speakers. They can easily hit 95-100 dB at the listening chair, although that is generally too loud for me.

Before the Lamms, I had a McIntosh 402 and I don't think the 400 watts drove the speakers any better than my 100 watt Lamms.
SF Stradivari, Aric Audio Motherlode XL preamp and Super KT Parallel amps; Pass XP 27, Raven One TT, Graham Phantom II arm, Lyra Etna Lamda, Airtight PC1, Bryston 3.14 DAC, Transparent Reference & Wireworld, dedicated treated room 17 X 34 X 9
Old 10-27-2011, 08:57 AM

Shane,
Sashas will have no trouble in your room providing the partnering amps are stable into low impedance dips and provide adequate current (not exactly tube's forte). Your amps should be fine for the most part but I doubt you will be able to extract "all" the bass the Sasha is capable of with the 1.9 ohm excursions down low.

Dave,
You may want to recheck the specs of the Lammies. They are not 100w amps. They are actually capable of 1200w peaks down low. The Lamm M1.2's are exceptionally great partnering amps for Sasha.

New Page 4

Last edited by PHC1; 10-27-2011 at 09:02 AM.
Old 10-27-2011, 09:56 AM

you won't know till you put them in the room, as frequencies below 100hz are highly room dependent and interactive. The Sasha's will not play 20hz, though they will play higher frequencies at high volume levels. To really drive the below 40hz region in a room that size you will most likely need subs - which in my opinion, is a good thing. That way you can position the speakers where you get the best of everything else, and good subs will allow you more fine tuning for ultimately higher spl's and better, more linear response.
Old 10-27-2011, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHC1 View Post
Shane,
Sashas will have no trouble in your room providing the partnering amps are stable into low impedance dips and provide adequate current (not exactly tube's forte). Your amps should be fine for the most part but I doubt you will be able to extract "all" the bass the Sasha is capable of with the 1.9 ohm excursions down low.

New Page 4
Interesting audiogon thread on the sasha's and the ability of tube amps "Power Paradigm" ,to drive the Wilson speakers.

AudiogoN Forums: Amps for Sasha
Old 10-27-2011, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by turntable View Post
Interesting audiogon thread on the sasha's and the ability of tube amps "Power Paradigm" ,to drive the Wilson speakers.

AudiogoN Forums: Amps for Sasha
Shane, even though I owned Sasha and have heard them with various SS and hybrid amps, not too much experience with tubes on them. I think unless a person compares them back to back with a tube and SS amp, it is too easy to walk away saying "yeah, they work great with tubes".. I've heard them with various SS amps and have also thought that was the best I heard until of course something even better showed me another level of performance from Sasha. It is an amazing speaker in the context of a synergistic, well balanced system. That much I can tell you for sure.

Last edited by PHC1; 10-27-2011 at 07:27 PM.