AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Aurender

Aurender Reference Music Servers

Old 01-10-2017, 03:44 AM

Default Linn v Aurender anyone?

Hi guys

I'm currently using a Linn Majik as a music streamer combined with a Synology NAS for playing my digital music and enjoying it, BUT.....

The Linn has a very user-friendly interface via Kazoo but after reading the reviews of Aurender I can't help but wonder if the Aurender would serve me better and deliver better SQ. Previously I also used the DAC in the Linn but I do find the C2500 DAC to be a little better for most music.

I wondering whether anyone has had any experience in comparing Linn v Aurender streamers as the closest Aurender dealer is a very long way from me! Eventually I can see myself investing in a separate DAC which I would pair with the Aurender (the Esoteric K-03X does look appealing for both DAC / transport but I'm not quite there yet!).

Any comments / advice would be appreciated!!
Old 01-10-2017, 03:59 PM
Merry Christmas to all

Jamie.......What Linn Majik component are you using? The Majik branding is on many Linn components.

STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, Shunyata Sigma spdif digital cable, Sonos Connect, PurePower 2000, Stillpoints, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Michell HR Power Supply, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Wireworld, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario
LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC75 (2), MR85, Magnum Dynalab 205, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Shunyata Sigma USB cable, Micro Seiki DD40, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, Nakamichi BX-300, Sony 60ES DAT, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, Sonos Connect, Stillpoints, Wireworld, Kimber, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113
VINTAGE - McIntosh MA230, Tandberg 3011A tuner, Olive 04HD, Sony DTC-59ES DAT, McIntosh 4300V, JBL 4312A
Old 01-10-2017, 05:52 PM

Dan, I use a Majik DS player

Last edited by Levitator; 01-10-2017 at 06:16 PM.
Old 01-10-2017, 06:30 PM
Merry Christmas to all

Jamie.......I won't be much help because I have no experience with the Linn Majik DS. I owned only one Linn product, the Linn Ikemi CD player. Wish I had kept it.

Reading up on the Majik DS it appears to be an entry level streamer in Linn's product line. The Majik DS does not support USB output, only SPDIF coax and Toslink, and only unbalanced analog outputs from the DAC/preamp output. Based on my experience with the Aurender N10 I am confident Aurender streaming components will surpass the performance of the Linn Majik DS. Which Aurender music streamer has your interest?

STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, Shunyata Sigma spdif digital cable, Sonos Connect, PurePower 2000, Stillpoints, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Michell HR Power Supply, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Wireworld, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario
LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC75 (2), MR85, Magnum Dynalab 205, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Shunyata Sigma USB cable, Micro Seiki DD40, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, Nakamichi BX-300, Sony 60ES DAT, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, Sonos Connect, Stillpoints, Wireworld, Kimber, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113
VINTAGE - McIntosh MA230, Tandberg 3011A tuner, Olive 04HD, Sony DTC-59ES DAT, McIntosh 4300V, JBL 4312A
Old 01-10-2017, 11:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdandy View Post
Jamie.......I won't be much help because I have no experience with the Linn Majik DS. I owned only one Linn product, the Linn Ikemi CD player. Wish I had kept it.

Reading up on the Majik DS it appears to be an entry level streamer in Linn's product line. The Majik DS does not support USB output, only SPDIF coax and Toslink, and only unbalanced analog outputs from the DAC/preamp output. Based on my experience with the Aurender N10 I am confident Aurender streaming components will surpass the performance of the Linn Majik DS. Which Aurender music streamer has your interest?
Thanks Dan, yes it is the second up the line in the Linn streamer range after the Sneaky DS which I owned initially. The Akurate is the next step up from the Majik DS, which is an option, or I jump onto the Aurender brand - the N100H is a viable option price wise and comparable to the Majik in this regard. Your fantastic review, and general reviews by others, has me tempted to consider the N10 although at $13K in Oz it's a huge jump in price! (as is most of the real good stuff!!!)
Old 01-11-2017, 12:22 AM

Jamie, I'm in the reverse position as Dan: I have no experience with Aurender but have owned an Akurate DS and currently have a Klimax DSM and Sneaky DS. The Akurate is a very good streamer and a big step up from the Majik. Differences to the Aurender that I'm aware of are that the Aurender N10 is a server/streamer with its own internal storage but uses an external DAC. The Linn is a network streamer with its own internal DAC but uses external network storage. The sound is excellent. I'm not sure what prices are in Oz but suspect the Akurate DS is in the same range as the N10. The Akurate has balanced and single-ended analog outputs, and now has SPACE, essentially a process to equalize for room nodes (does not have to be enabled).

One other difference to be aware of: Linn does not support DSD, and probably won't for the foreseeable future. Along with a few other companies, they have taken the position that DSD is unnecessary and in fact may not be as good as PCM if PCM is done right. They are also in the anti-MQA camp, believing that the licensing requirements and control of the music and process by MQA are too limiting in the long run. So if you go with Linn it means you buy into their philosophy concerning these technologies (which I do, but that's another story.)

Both are fine products, you could almost make your decision based on features.
D'Agostino Momentum S250 MxV & HD pre; Linn Klimax Organik DSM, SonicTransporter, EtherRegen; Acoustic Signature Typhoon Neo, Koetsu RSP, Boulder 1108; Sf Il Cremonese; Shunyata Everest, Altaira, Sigma & Alpha v2

Last edited by Antonmb; 01-11-2017 at 12:25 AM.
Old 01-11-2017, 12:44 AM
Merry Christmas to all

Tony.......

Old 01-11-2017, 07:52 AM

Thanks for the advice Tony - do you use the DAC in the Klimax or an external DAC? Not sure if it is the same as the DAC in the Akurate but be interested to know how you find it? I previously compared the Akurate to Majik but didn't find a huge difference at the time however I've since changed a number of components, cables etc which I suspect will make a bigger difference if I now compared these two...

Regards,
Jamie.
Old 01-11-2017, 09:31 AM

Jamie, yes, I use the DAC in the Klimax, and did in my Akurate DS as well. Linn has also recently released an upgrade to the Klimax DAC architecture which they call Katalyst and is getting excellent reviews What HiFi calls it "without doubt the most transparent and insightful streamer we've ever tested." It's not clear yet though whether that technology will get rolled down to Akurate.

Thanks Dan.
D'Agostino Momentum S250 MxV & HD pre; Linn Klimax Organik DSM, SonicTransporter, EtherRegen; Acoustic Signature Typhoon Neo, Koetsu RSP, Boulder 1108; Sf Il Cremonese; Shunyata Everest, Altaira, Sigma & Alpha v2
Old 01-11-2017, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antonmb View Post
Jamie, yes, I use the DAC in the Klimax, and did in my Akurate DS as well. Linn has also recently released an upgrade to the Klimax DAC architecture which they call Katalyst and is getting excellent reviews What HiFi calls it "without doubt the most transparent and insightful streamer we've ever tested." It's not clear yet though whether that technology will get rolled down to Akurate.

Thanks Dan.
I listened to a demo of the Linn system at a local Boston area dealer. Their space optimization software was impressive (Linn Klimax, Magico Q7 MKII's, Simaudio Moon mono blocks).
If you go all in with Linn, then you only need an ethernet cable to the active speakers. There have been some highly favorable reviews on this forum.
Main - Roon on Synology/Sonos Port/SoTM Neo endpoints; Chord Qutest, Bryston BP-17 cubed with phono option; EAT C-sharp with Ortofon Bronze MM, Bryston cubed Amplifier; Revel F126Be on custom Atocha stands; interconnects by WireWorld, furniture by Atocha Design 'Phones Audeze LCD-3, Bryston BHA-1; Office: Sonos/Roon; OPPO HA-1, Naim NAP100 and PSB Mini-C. Media Room:, Samsung QLED QN90 series, Sonos, OPPO 205, ATI N-core driving KEF LS-50's with REL subs; furniture by Glassisimo; Kids - U-turn for vinyl, Sonos Play5; Summer Shack - Sonos, vintage Pioneer, Dynaudio Special 40's.