AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Audio & Video > General Speaker Discussion

General Speaker Discussion Calling all Speakers

Old 04-13-2018, 11:48 PM

Default Portable Speaker Recommendations?

Could anyone recommend speakers to take on long business trips? It's looking like I'm going to have several trips of about a month a time out of the country over the next few years. I'm looking for something that would fit in a luggage bag and be durable enough not to get destroyed bouncing around in luggage with clothes as the primary padding. Looking to spend less than $1000 unless it's something really exceptional.

Right now I'm considering the Audioengine A2+ and A5+, but I'm not sure about the A5+ fitting in luggage. Dimensions make it sound like a tight fit. Open to getting a subwoofer too, depending on physical size, and leaning toward the Burson Play (V6 Classic opamps) for the DAC. Unless the DAC in the A2+ is pretty good? Other ideas for speakers/DACs/subs to consider are most welcome. Laptop speakers for a month or two at a time really aren't an option.
Old 04-14-2018, 09:39 PM

I have a Denon HEOS 7 that I hold in high regard for ease of use and sound quality. No subwoofer required. I’d not characterize it as Audiophile caliber, but I’m never dissatisfied with it, and I use it a lot. The HEOS 7 is the largest model and not something I would pack for air travel, though it would easily fit in a carry on bag. They have a model (HEOS 1) whose dimensions would readily accommodate travel, and can be paired for stereo. I’m intending to purchase a pair. It also plays hi-res files and has an App for Kindle, iOS and Android. It connects via WiFi and/or Bluetooth. Most mainstream streaming services are integrated into the app.

The app is effective, so long as your network connection is good. Pretty much all App complaints are attributable to network connection issues. I have a business class (Aruba Networks) WiFi mesh and I never have any issues. My unit is older and does not have Bluetooth, so I can’t comment on the efficacy of that.

Here is the manufacture’s web site:
https://usa.denon.com/us/heos/wirele...relessspeakers

Last edited by Karl Maga; 04-15-2018 at 08:27 AM.
Old 04-15-2018, 10:57 AM

Check out Diamond Boxx though it won’t fit in luggage.
Old 04-15-2018, 09:54 PM

Hmm...I'm not really interested in wireless/bluetooth setups. I find it to be a bit of a pain in the ass, and they're not going to be put in places where I can't plug in wires, so I'd rather spend money on better speakers than unneeded connectivity options.

Diamond Boxx is an interesting concept, but again I feel like I'm paying for features I don't really need.

Also thinking about a Polk TSi200, which seems like a pretty good value at $200/pair, or maybe the Polk LSiM703 since a pair can be found for a grand now.
Old 04-15-2018, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OccidentalDB View Post
Hmm...I'm not really interested in wireless/bluetooth setups. I find it to be a bit of a pain in the ass, and they're not going to be put in places where I can't plug in wires, so I'd rather spend money on better speakers than unneeded connectivity options.

Diamond Boxx is an interesting concept, but again I feel like I'm paying for features I don't really need.

Also thinking about a Polk TSi200, which seems like a pretty good value at $200/pair, or maybe the Polk LSiM703 since a pair can be found for a grand now.

Just about LSiM703: don’t pay a grand. It’s frequently on sale for $650 on Adorama.
Old 04-15-2018, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAPHANA View Post
Just about LSiM703: don’t pay a grand. It’s frequently on sale for $650 on Adorama.
For a PAIR? At $650/pair that makes the decision for me. It looks like Audiorama sells it at the retail price of $750 each. Polk's better speakers are usually sold individually, not in pairs.
Old 04-15-2018, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OccidentalDB View Post
For a PAIR? At $650/pair that makes the decision for me. It looks like Audiorama sells it at the retail price of $750 each. Polk's better speakers are usually sold individually, not in pairs.

Search slickdeals you will know. Mine were bought even cheaper than that. Yes, less than 50% msrp, brand new, and with warranty.
Old 04-15-2018, 11:34 PM

I saw an expired sale at $375 per speaker, so at half off it matches the friends and family sale direct from Polk when they run it. I didn't see any deals at $650 per pair, still, definitely something to consider. You can't beat Polk's better stuff at half price.